Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Traveling to Australia tonight No ETA visa

Traveling to Australia tonight No ETA visa

Old Mar 4th 2017, 8:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling to Australia tonight No ETA visa

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Your stopover destination might possibly issue one at the gate in about 1min flat without even telling you.
They might (assuming there is a stopover), depending on where they are, but they might not, so don't you think is worth investigating whether that can happen? And that wouldn't get someone in to their final destination.

Are you really advocating that the last day before a flight is the point at which one should be investigating whether one needs a visa?

Aus evistors/ETAs have at times taken a few days to be approved. Canada now has a system where you need a eTA before travelling. And many people applying for ESTA to travel to the US on the Visa Waiver Programme do not get their grant instantly, leaving that to the last minute is definitely not recommended, as a fair percentage are refused and need a visa instead.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They might (assuming there is a stopover), depending on where they are, but they might not, so don't you think is worth investigating whether that can happen? And that wouldn't get someone in to their final destination.

Are you really advocating that the last day before a flight is the point at which one should be investigating whether one needs a visa?

Aus evistors/ETAs have at times taken a few days to be approved. Canada now has a system where you need a eTA before travelling. And many people applying for ESTA to travel to the US on the Visa Waiver Programme do not get their grant instantly, leaving that to the last minute is definitely not recommended, as a fair percentage are refused and need a visa instead.
Don't care : I said it might. :-) I was being somewhat jocular.
If people want to take risks it's up to them. I am advocating nothing.

I got issued an ETA when I didn't even need one.

I'm aware the U.S. Has been strict for a fair few years.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 11:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't care : I said it might. :-) I was being somewhat jocular.
If people want to take risks it's up to them. I am advocating nothing.

Being jocular about visas isn't really the thing to do when someone asks for information though is it? Some people may not be bright enough to realise you're being jocular and may for whatever reason take your advice and fall flat on their faces at check in. Jocular lives in other threads, not visa queries.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Being jocular about visas isn't really the thing to do when someone asks for information though is it? Some people may not be bright enough to realise you're being jocular and may for whatever reason take your advice and fall flat on their faces at check in. Jocular lives in other threads, not visa queries.
Oops sorry. :-) jocularity on BE : spectator sport. I don't even notice the board I'm on half the from a phone screen...;-)

Should take it more seriously..
Old Mar 5th 2017, 4:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Oops sorry. :-) jocularity on BE : spectator sport. I don't even notice the board I'm on half the from a phone screen...;-)

Should take it more seriously..
No sweat, It's not in Immi after all. Just the idea that someone somewhere might think it was a good idea made me feel a tad off.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 9:26 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No sweat, It's not in Immi after all. Just the idea that someone somewhere might think it was a good idea made me feel a tad off.
I sometimes wonder why i bother posting visa info when people just turn it into a joke. IMHO the thread should have been in Immi originally as it was a serious visa question, but even in here its still serious stuff.

And yes, in answer to Badge, if people want to take risks its up to them, however half the point of this forum is to stop people taking unnecessary risks like trying to board a flight without a hope of being accepted by the country at the other end.
Pointing out that not every country issues visas on arrival, but that in many cases the visa has to be acquired first, is an attempt to make the trip go a lot more smoothly than it might otherwise.
And it is a good idea to check visa requirements in advance - sometimes a long way in advance - as some can take months to come through. A common thread in the US forum is that where people find they are ineligible for the VWP and need a B2, those take months.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

LucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really nice

Disaster. There was minor damage to my passport and etihad wouldn't let me fly . I've had to get an emergency replacement passport and rebook new flights. Costing me 800 euro . Some start to the holidays. Quick question will my eta details from my previous passport be on my new passport or will I have to apply again
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

LucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really niceLucasHood is just really nice

I'm very frustrated here . I'm trying to long into my immigration account . I didn't remember my username name or password . There's a form to get your username and password reset but you can only do one at a time. I got my username sent to me but when I try to do the same for my password I don't get an email. The God's really seem to be conspiring against me
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:06 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by LucasHood
Disaster. There was minor damage to my passport and etihad wouldn't let me fly . I've had to get an emergency replacement passport and rebook new flights. Costing me 800 euro . Some start to the holidays. Quick question will my eta details from my previous passport be on my new passport or will I have to apply again
No, they won't.Your passport is issued by the UK Passport Office. The ETA/evisitor is issued by DIBP - Australian Immgration. You will need to update your passport details. You MIGHT be able to get this done at check in, if you take both passports with you - sometimes they will allow people to fly with the visa in the old passport but they have to check with DIBP so leave a lot of time if you are trying this, and I am not going to say it will work, because its down to the airline whether they are willing to try and contact DIBP for you.

Never a good idea to travel with a passport with any damage to it, forgery and fraud are too common now for that to be allowed.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Still having problems with logging into my immigration account . Would it be OK just to create a new one with a new password
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:41 am
Home and Happy

Still having problems with logging into my immigration account . Would it be OK just to create a new one with a new password
I honestly don't know, can't help on that at all. In the days when I had ETAs Immiaccount didn't exist.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

It's a joke . I've requested the password 6 times now and no email is being sent . I'm just going to create a new immi account and apply for a new eta
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Ok.i think I have everything sorted out . I just created a new log in with the same email address . I imported the application for the eta I got 6 months ago and updated the passport details. The website itself is very very badly designed. Whilst I updated my details there seems to be no way of confirming everything I did is correct . It's a disgrace
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:33 pm
Home and Happy

Ok.i think I have everything sorted out . I just created a new log in with the same email address . I imported the application for the eta I got 6 months ago and updated the passport details. The website itself is very very badly designed. Whilst I updated my details there seems to be no way of confirming everything I did is correct . It's a disgrace
I've not been over impressed with what I've seen of the Immi account system, I will admit.
Glad you have it sorted, to be on the safe side though take your old passport with you, and don't cut it too fine at check-in.

Good luck
Old Mar 8th 2017, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

The real disgrace as far as I can tell from reading the posts here, is that someone left it all a little too late and cut it a little too close for comfort, not having taken into account the possibility of hiccoughs (a rather polite euphemism for the somewhat more apt "rooster in a particular vertical orientation") and the application of Murphy's Law.

Anyway, tongue in cheek chastisement aside, I'm really happy that the OP has gotten the red tape untangled, and all's well that ends well. Have a safe flight, and enjoy your holiday! Happy trails!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.