Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transfering money to a UK bank account

Transfering money to a UK bank account

Old Sep 5th 2013, 12:34 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transfering money to a UK bank account

We need to transfer about 40,000 pounds to a solicitor in the UK, who's acting for us in our purchase of an off plan apartment. There'll be 3 more payments we'll need to make over the next couple of years. We used our online Australian bank account to send the reservation fee and while the fee was reasonable ($22), the exchange rate was terrible, about 50p to the dollar. I've done some Google research and there seems to be a lot of - I don't know what they're called, exchange brokers?, who offer much better rates, around 57p to the dollar currently. Halo is one of them.

These are big transactions for us and we're a bit nervous. Does anyone know of a good company/exchange broker for this type of transaction? I'll put up a week's free accommodation in Liverpool for a good tip. Second prize is 2 weeks
Old Sep 5th 2013, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfering money to a UK bank account

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Does anyone know of a good company/exchange broker for this type of transaction?
Hi Spouse of Scouse,

I've used service called XE Trade from a company called XE.com. I've used the service 6 or 7 times to transfer funds, initially from the UK to AU and more recently in the other direction. I have always found them excellent and you should easily beat the rate given by your bank.

The initial set-up took a couple of weeks (identity checks for anti-money laundering, I think).

http://www.xe.com/xetrade/
Old Sep 5th 2013, 1:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65
Hi Spouse of Scouse,

I've used service called XE Trade from a company called XE.com. I've used the service 6 or 7 times to transfer funds, initially from the UK to AU and more recently in the other direction. I have always found them excellent and you should easily beat the rate given by your bank.

The initial set-up took a couple of weeks (identity checks for anti-money laundering, I think).

http://www.xe.com/xetrade/
Great info Rhubarb, cheers for that. Have just set up an online account with them, once they approve the ID docs we should be all set. Much appreciated
Old Sep 5th 2013, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

We used OzForex/UKForex for a very large transfer to a UK bank account - no fee, very competitive exchange rate and very efficient service. A 'no brainer' using them in my view FWIW.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

There is also:

http://www.exchange4free.com.au/

Used them to Transfer from South Africa to Oz and recently UK to Oz.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

We need to transfer about 40,000 pounds to a solicitor in the UK, who's acting for us in our purchase of an off plan apartment. There'll be 3 more payments we'll need to make over the next couple of years. We used our online Australian bank account to send the reservation fee and while the fee was reasonable ($22), the exchange rate was terrible, about 50p to the dollar. I've done some Google research and there seems to be a lot of - I don't know what they're called, exchange brokers?, who offer much better rates, around 57p to the dollar currently. Halo is one of them.

These are big transactions for us and we're a bit nervous. Does anyone know of a good company/exchange broker for this type of transaction? I'll put up a week's free accommodation in Liverpool for a good tip. Second prize is 2 weeks
50p ..... thats taking the .......

I have a HSBC premier account with instant transfers at a decent rate between UK and Oz. For a small fee I can help you out.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
We used OzForex/UKForex for a very large transfer to a UK bank account - no fee, very competitive exchange rate and very efficient service. A 'no brainer' using them in my view FWIW.
+1 I'm another OzForex fan. The first transaction was a little 'long winded' but after the first it was plain sailing.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:04 am
Concierge

Thanks everyone, it's great to have some good recommendations. Beoz, you win a whole month in Liverpool. BYO flak jacket
Old Sep 6th 2013, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I'll second this. I use these or currencyonline every fortnight when I get paid to send money to UK account. It is normally done in about 3 days, although this time it took a week for some reason.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
I'll second this. I use these or currencyonline every fortnight when I get paid to send money to UK account. It is normally done in about 3 days, although this time it took a week for some reason.
Ours took 2 days from memory but was for a large amount so don't know if it got better than normal service? We had a dealer appointed who kept in touch regularly by email and phone prior to the transfer so it was done at the best time to suit; booked a call for a certain day and time to deal and they called on the dot and so on, very smooth and efficient.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 8:55 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I use Ozforex every month and they are fantastic.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:15 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I have a HSBC premier account with instant transfers at a decent rate between UK and Oz.
Best option imo. Just have a multi-currency account in both countries and Premier status, and then you can use the GetRate feature in Australia to convert AUD into GBP before sending the funds between your GBP account in Australia and your GBP account in the UK. With Premier status the funds are credited between these accounts instantly. And the transfer is free of course.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 2:35 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by astera
Best option imo. Just have a multi-currency account in both countries and Premier status, and then you can use the GetRate feature in Australia to convert AUD into GBP before sending the funds between your GBP account in Australia and your GBP account in the UK. With Premier status the funds are credited between these accounts instantly. And the transfer is free of course.
Sounds good astera, only problem is we don't have a bank account in the UK yet. Don't know if we could open one from Oz?

I put in an application for XE but I'm finding them really pushy, 2 phone calls on successive nights after 10pm. I'm going to have a look at Oz/UK forex since so many of our esteemed members use that.

Many thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it
Old Sep 9th 2013, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good astera, only problem is we don't have a bank account in the UK yet. Don't know if we could open one from Oz?

I put in an application for XE but I'm finding them really pushy, 2 phone calls on successive nights after 10pm. I'm going to have a look at Oz/UK forex since so many of our esteemed members use that.

Many thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it
If you can get a HSBC Premier account in Oz then they can open one up for you in any country. They offered to open a US one for me a few weeks back.

The catch is you need some funds to deposit with them first. Not sure of the amount but it's best to go and talk to them.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 1:38 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Beoz
If you can get a HSBC Premier account in Oz then they can open one up for you in any country. They offered to open a US one for me a few weeks back.

The catch is you need some funds to deposit with them first. Not sure of the amount but it's best to go and talk to them.
Cheers Beoz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.