Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Apr 7th 2005, 10:27 am   #1
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Frome, Somerset
Posts: 7
Army Man is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfering to the Australian Army

Hi, I'm new to this but have found the posts, that I have read very interesting.

I have recently applied to transfer from the British Army to the Australian Army and have recieved my initial acceptance. I have just despatched my detailed paperwork and am awaiting my detailed job offer. The move would be under 'Employer Nominated Scheme'.

I was just wondering whetehr anyone else had done this and how they had found the process.
Army Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:26 pm   #2
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Brisbane, Queensland.
Posts: 104
GCS15 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Man
Hi, I'm new to this but have found the posts, that I have read very interesting.

I have recently applied to transfer from the British Army to the Australian Army and have recieved my initial acceptance. I have just despatched my detailed paperwork and am awaiting my detailed job offer. The move would be under 'Employer Nominated Scheme'.

I was just wondering whetehr anyone else had done this and how they had found the process.
G'day mate. I'm just bumping this thread up the top in hope that someone can help you.

Good luck
__________________
There are two times when to keep your mouth shut: When swimming and when angry.
GCS15 is offline  
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:16 pm   #3
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Brisbane, Queensland.
Posts: 104
GCS15 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Bump
__________________
There are two times when to keep your mouth shut: When swimming and when angry.
GCS15 is offline  
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:50 pm   #4
arrive QLD 10th June
 
sonic3829's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: OXFORDSHIRE
Posts: 14
sonic3829 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS15
Bump
Hi mate
Try these threads Military transfer and Birtish/Australian Army. I'm going through the same process at the moment it's taken me about 18 months but I leave the British Army on the 20th May and enlist on the 6th June in London at the embassy. It then Business Class flights for my family and I to Australia all paid for along with our removals, hotels and hire car. I start work on the 14th June with the RAEME in Townsville, Queeensland. You can serve until you're 55, better housing and citizenship after only 90 days. Any more info needed just e-mail me
sonic3829 is offline  
Old Apr 7th 2005, 6:48 pm   #5
BE Enthusiast
 
njk435's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: near Darwin
Posts: 303
njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Hi mate, I'm in the process at the moment. Do not hold your breath while waiting - it can take a while!
You can see my timeline below, I don't expect to be moving until at least Jun next year - if all goes well.....
All I can say is I think it'll be worth it in the end, certainly people I've spoken to over there think so.
PM me if I can be of any help at all.

Nige
__________________
Nige

Fixing broke stuff in Australia since 2006
njk435 is offline  
Old Apr 8th 2005, 7:56 pm   #6
Forum Regular
 
biscuit63's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 43
biscuit63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Man
Hi, I'm new to this but have found the posts, that I have read very interesting.

I have recently applied to transfer from the British Army to the Australian Army and have recieved my initial acceptance. I have just despatched my detailed paperwork and am awaiting my detailed job offer. The move would be under 'Employer Nominated Scheme'.

I was just wondering whetehr anyone else had done this and how they had found the process.

I am due to go to Adelaide in August this year but it has taken 2 years from start to finish, the qiuckest I know of someone going over is 15 months. If you need any info drop me a line.
biscuit63 is offline  
Old May 17th 2005, 7:09 pm   #7
BE Enthusiast
 
njk435's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: near Darwin
Posts: 303
njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Justa quick update on the procedure:

I have been invited to a pilot scheme which involves a selection board for potential transferees in London.

Basic outline seems to be that you and your spouse/partner go for an interview at Australia House, there is also a medical assesment made of the main applicant.

If succesful, you are invited to sign a letter of intent to transfer and the process is speeded up.

I am possibly doing this in June, so will keep you all posted.
__________________
Nige

Fixing broke stuff in Australia since 2006
njk435 is offline  
Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:14 pm   #8
BE Enthusiast
 
njk435's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: near Darwin
Posts: 303
njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Update on the selection board:

1. There are 3 main interviews, one with a Lt Col from SCMA, one with a doctor, and one or two with DCO reps (social worker and an education advisor).

2. My wife and daughter attended all the interviews with me (2 yr old made colonels interview 'interesting'!)

3. After the board, you still need to get a medical done by your doctor - the aussie doctor goes through your med history (applicant only)

4. You get a decision on the day, but it has the medical caveat on it, so you still have the stress of waiting for that..

I think that's about it, if there are any questions, feel free to PM!
__________________
Nige

Fixing broke stuff in Australia since 2006
njk435 is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2005, 8:21 pm   #9
Forum Regular
 
glm36's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Germany/UK
Posts: 44
glm36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Hi,

I applied in Feb 04 and then resent my application forms off again in March this year, I've just had an email from SCMA informaing me that my enlistment package is on it's way!! (at last).

As you can see it's taken over 12 months and i expect it to take another 12 months at least, but, the wait should be worth it.

Cheers
__________________
I'll Be Back.
glm36 is offline  
Old Aug 19th 2005, 8:17 pm   #10
Forum Regular
 
glm36's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Germany/UK
Posts: 44
glm36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Hi, I've been invited to go to the next board in Oct 05 in london with the missus. just a quick question if i pass the selection board how long did it take for you to hear that you had passed the medical? I have been told that if i am selected i will be out by the end of Jul 06.

Which is good because i can still PVR!

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by njk435
Update on the selection board:

1. There are 3 main interviews, one with a Lt Col from SCMA, one with a doctor, and one or two with DCO reps (social worker and an education advisor).

2. My wife and daughter attended all the interviews with me (2 yr old made colonels interview 'interesting'!)

3. After the board, you still need to get a medical done by your doctor - the aussie doctor goes through your med history (applicant only)

4. You get a decision on the day, but it has the medical caveat on it, so you still have the stress of waiting for that..

I think that's about it, if there are any questions, feel free to PM!
__________________
I'll Be Back.
glm36 is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2005, 8:22 pm   #11
BE Enthusiast
 
njk435's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: near Darwin
Posts: 303
njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Hi mate,

I posted my med results and blood tests about a month ago, had an email asking for a fax number to send my job offer to yesterday...

Still not the end of the line though, once I accept the job offer I need to do the DIMIA process - about 6 months long apparently for ENS and/or Labour agreement applicants.

HTH

Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by glm36
Hi, I've been invited to go to the next board in Oct 05 in london with the missus. just a quick question if i pass the selection board how long did it take for you to hear that you had passed the medical? I have been told that if i am selected i will be out by the end of Jul 06.

Which is good because i can still PVR!

Cheers
__________________
Nige

Fixing broke stuff in Australia since 2006
njk435 is offline  
Old Aug 20th 2005, 11:05 pm   #12
Forum Regular
 
beebopaloola's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Springfield, Brisbane
Posts: 260
beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice
Default Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic3829
Hi mate
Try these threads Military transfer and Birtish/Australian Army. I'm going through the same process at the moment it's taken me about 18 months but I leave the British Army on the 20th May and enlist on the 6th June in London at the embassy. It then Business Class flights for my family and I to Australia all paid for along with our removals, hotels and hire car. I start work on the 14th June with the RAEME in Townsville, Queeensland. You can serve until you're 55, better housing and citizenship after only 90 days. Any more info needed just e-mail me
my hubby bessie mate has 8yrs left to serve (he is 37 at moment) would he lose his pension if he transferred??
__________________
Here, Hot and Happy
beebopaloola is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2005, 12:41 am   #13
Forum Regular
 
colinmorgan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 121
colinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant future
Default Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by njk435
Hi mate,

I posted my med results and blood tests about a month ago, had an email asking for a fax number to send my job offer to yesterday...

Still not the end of the line though, once I accept the job offer I need to do the DIMIA process - about 6 months long apparently for ENS and/or Labour agreement applicants.

HTH

Nige
Hi Nige

On receipt of your Labour Agreement approval, the visa application can be very quick.

I received my med requests 4 days after sending my application, and visa 8 days after sending the meds.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Colin
colinmorgan is offline  
Old Aug 21st 2005, 8:22 pm   #14
Forum Regular
 
glm36's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Germany/UK
Posts: 44
glm36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Many thanks for the reply,

Could you give me a few pointers as to what goes on at the Board? questions asked etc, been a fair few years since i went for a job interview!

I'm taking my police checks and copy of me f med 4 when i go as well, hopefully shows how keen we are.

Cheers

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by njk435
Hi mate,

I posted my med results and blood tests about a month ago, had an email asking for a fax number to send my job offer to yesterday...

Still not the end of the line though, once I accept the job offer I need to do the DIMIA process - about 6 months long apparently for ENS and/or Labour agreement applicants.

HTH

Nige
__________________
I'll Be Back.
glm36 is offline  
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 3:23 am   #15
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: sydney
Posts: 13
thebluearmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Transfering to the Australian Army

Hi there

I transfered from the British 2 the Oz mob and started work 3 months ago in Sydney. The process can seem like its taking a long time because of all the paperwork going back and forward but think as a general rule, u should b looking at about a 2 year process.

One bit of promising news for you though is that of this year the Aussie army is recruiting over 300 overseas applicants as opposed to the 80 that as been the case in previoulsy.

If you`ve got any question u`d like me to answer then feel free to PM me.

Craig


Quote:
Originally Posted by glm36
Many thanks for the reply,

Could you give me a few pointers as to what goes on at the Board? questions asked etc, been a fair few years since i went for a job interview!

I'm taking my police checks and copy of me f med 4 when i go as well, hopefully shows how keen we are.

Cheers

Gary
thebluearmy is offline  
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

All times are GMT. The time now is 6:05 am.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com