Reload this Page >

Transfer to the Royal Australian Navy and life in Perth

Transfer to the Royal Australian Navy and life in Perth

Old Jun 10th 2013, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Xavz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfer to the Royal Australian Navy and life in Perth

Hi folks,

Eventually persuaded my girlfriend/mother of my child to jump ship with me and head out to Australia, I am doing this by transfer to the RAN and was wondering what life is like out in Perth, (where I will be based) weather, cost of living etc. As well as life in the RAN as a submariner, what the running cycles are like, time at sea, family life and support. Also what schools are like (my little boy is only two) and as my partner is a primary school teacher what jobs are available or even the opportunity for her to go back to university.

I have read quite alot but would like to get some first hand feedback as already read that the weather is really hot but quite clement in the winter compared to the UK -°C temperatures but read a thread here that it gets pretty cold and hearing from the horses mouth would be nice, as would hate to be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire !!!!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:12 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer to the Royal Australian Navy and life in Perth

Not too much sea time for the soap dodgers over here. Lots of refit/maintenance/default rectification periods in Perth/Adelaide (Australian Submarine Corporation).
UK teaching qualifications need to be aligned to Australian ones but easy enough via a Recognition of Prior Learning template which most Education authorities use, try http://www.det.wa.edu.au/ for links and to learn more.
Schoools are schools, everyone loves the school THEIR kids go to but not others....take some opinions with a pinch a salt but for an infant/kindergarten there aren't many that are bad.
You'll probably go down a rank but generally the RAN has decent pay and even better allowances, my mates all in FAA and do VERY well!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:21 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xavz
Hi folks,

Eventually persuaded my girlfriend/mother of my child to jump ship with me and head out to Australia, I am doing this by transfer to the RAN and was wondering what life is like out in Perth, (where I will be based) weather, cost of living etc. As well as life in the RAN as a submariner, what the running cycles are like, time at sea, family life and support. Also what schools are like (my little boy is only two) and as my partner is a primary school teacher what jobs are available or even the opportunity for her to go back to university.

I have read quite alot but would like to get some first hand feedback as already read that the weather is really hot but quite clement in the winter compared to the UK -°C temperatures but read a thread here that it gets pretty cold and hearing from the horses mouth would be nice, as would hate to be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire !!!!
As Paddyo said time at sea isn't a lot and you might even get a tan One of my mates only joined a boat at the start of the year after arriving in Aug 2010 decided he wasn't electrical enough so sent him to TAFE to get qualed up. That has meant a rather tasty pay rise due to sea pay though.

There tends to be less maintenance done by ships staff and more by depot/oem. Dockings are conducted in Adelaide but I don't see many RAN around so presume it's all ASC staff covering that.

Rockingham is the suburb nearest Garden Island and it's a good 50km south of Perth CBD.

Can't comment on the weather out west but plenty of threads about it on here as well as COL. Only advice is don't convert between AUD and GBP it'll do your head in

Have you got a join date yet as a mate is coming over this August (proper matelot though WE skimmer ) He's also dropping from WO2 to CPO but they don't have WO2s and equate CPO to an Army WO2 anyway.

enjoy the paid for move, grab the citizenship and see what the outside world has to offer after 6 years
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info, just started the process so got another year or so before I actually get to make the move!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:35 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info, just started the process so got another year or so before I actually get to make the move!
and the rest. The RAN are as bad as recruiters here for the speed of processing Make sure you keep contact details for your last few bosses as you'll need them for enhanced security checks once you're over here.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:50 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
and the rest. The RAN are as bad as recruiters here for the speed of processing Make sure you keep contact details for your last few bosses as you'll need them for enhanced security checks once you're over here.
+1......do not sell anything or say goodbye to anyone until the Visa is in your hands and the plane tickets are printed....they have a habit of changing their minds depending on what political hot potato is being cooked at the time!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 9:53 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
There tends to be less maintenance done by ships staff and more by depot/oem. Dockings are conducted in Adelaide but I don't see many RAN around so presume it's all ASC staff covering that.
Yes most of the actual work is done by ASC, but they tend to have a ghost crew hanging around for advice and to shadow some of the fit outs, usually techs but some Ops. I had to meet some TAS apes there a couple of years back for a project I was working on......just managed to meet them before they stuffed off for afternoon golf!!!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 10:00 am
Just Joined

I have been told no to do anything until the visa's etc are in my hands and thanks for info regarding keeping hold of previous bosses names!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 10:16 am
Shiny Arse Know All

Originally Posted by paddyo
Yes most of the actual work is done by ASC, but they tend to have a ghost crew hanging around for advice and to shadow some of the fit outs, usually techs but some Ops. I had to meet some TAS apes there a couple of years back for a project I was working on......just managed to meet them before they stuffed off for afternoon golf!!!

TAS apes loafing surely not

I have been told no to do anything until the visa's etc are in my hands and thanks for info regarding keeping hold of previous bosses names!
no worries mate
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Xavc.

I've sent you a PM
Old Jul 19th 2013, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Bluej27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I'm in the same situation as the post writer. Few questions, if anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it!

1. I've seen a few people say don't convert GBP to AUSD but I still had to and my biggest concern is the cost of living. I'm currently a PO in the RN SM Service. What sort of salary would I join on?

2. When you arrive what's the housing situation? Do you find your own place? What sort of prices are you looking at for a decent area, 2 bedrooms.

3. If you've done it, I'd love to hear your lessons learnt and general opinion on the whole thing!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Blue

We came over to Australia via the lateral route in 2009. Hubby is in Army. There is a fantastic Facebook page for laterals which has loads of advice and info which is worth checking out.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/112038224332/
Old Jul 20th 2013, 6:06 am
Just Joined

Bluej27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks jillie, I've joined just waiting to be accepted
Old Jul 20th 2013, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Blue

We all do it hen we first move over here pricing everything in our heads with the exchange rate. But after a few months you stop as it's Ozzy dollars your earning and dollars your spending.

Perth is expensive. Probably petrol is the only thing cheaper than the UK but because everything is so spread out you end up driving longer distances so it works out about the same.

Good luck.

Keel

Originally Posted by Bluej27
Hi there, I'm in the same situation as the post writer. Few questions, if anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it!

1. I've seen a few people say don't convert GBP to AUSD but I still had to and my biggest concern is the cost of living. I'm currently a PO in the RN SM Service. What sort of salary would I join on?

2. When you arrive what's the housing situation? Do you find your own place? What sort of prices are you looking at for a decent area, 2 bedrooms.

3. If you've done it, I'd love to hear your lessons learnt and general opinion on the whole thing!
Old Jul 20th 2013, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluej27
Thanks jillie, I've joined just waiting to be accepted
Welcome to BE by the way BlueJ27

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.