Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Train/Locomotive drivers in Aus.

Train/Locomotive drivers in Aus.

Old Aug 28th 2013, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Pauly1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Train/Locomotive drivers in Aus.

Hi all,

Not been on here for a while, some friends and I was having a discussion in the local at the weekend about whether or not it is possible to transfer your skills as a train driver in the UK to Australia.
We were discussing that it is not a skill so would not think it be on the skills list, but it is something that takes about a year to train for.
Do train operating company's recruit/employ from overseas?

Thanks in advance if any of you good folk out there could help clear this up.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 9:56 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Train/Locomotive drivers in Aus.

Originally Posted by Pauly1978
Hi all,

Not been on here for a while, some friends and I was having a discussion in the local at the weekend about whether or not it is possible to transfer your skills as a train driver in the UK to Australia.
We were discussing that it is not a skill so would not think it be on the skills list, but it is something that takes about a year to train for.

Hi Paul,

Train drivers are ANZSCO 731311 - http://www.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/[email protected]?opendocument

Currently they are not on the skills wanted list - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...n/pdf/csol.pdf

Whether companies hire from overseas - no idea I'm afraid
Old Aug 28th 2013, 10:50 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Even getting into training as a engine driver can be very hard competition - friend of mine has tried a few times and hadn't made the cut even though he has been short-listed. I would be very surprised if they would recruit from overseas.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Pauly1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Even getting into training as a engine driver can be very hard competition - friend of mine has tried a few times and hadn't made the cut even though he has been short-listed. I would be very surprised if they would recruit from overseas.
We were just chatting about it as one of the guys that was in the discussion with us is currently a train driver for a very well known operator in the UK, he was thinking of looking to make a move down under but was a bit stuck as to whether his occupation would allow it, I did tell him that I did think it was not on the skills list (having looked for myself in my skill), but maybe to check companys direct.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

We were just chatting about it as one of the guys that was in the discussion with us is currently a train driver for a very well known operator in the UK, he was thinking of looking to make a move down under but was a bit stuck as to whether his occupation would allow it, I did tell him that I did think it was not on the skills list (having looked for myself in my skill), but maybe to check companys direct.
If it is not on the list (and it isn't) there is no point contacting companies as he still won't get a visa.