Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Townsville: Some more pics

Townsville: Some more pics

Old May 21st 2008, 8:28 am
Danny

drdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Townsville: Some more pics

Taken yesterday afternoon at the Strand Rockpool. This is winter Queensland style. Lovely!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dannytucker/

Old May 21st 2008, 5:15 pm
markj

painter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nice

Life looks tougth doc
Old Jun 15th 2008, 10:52 am
Danny

drdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud of

We had an impromptu winter trip to Magnetic Island this weekend. Saturday morning just decided to go for it, googled some accommodation, quickly packed the car & headed over on the next car ferry. $150 for car+passengers & $200 for a 2-bedroomed apartment.

Great time had by all, staying overnight at Horseshoe Bay. Our last trip over was a bit whirlwind so it was very good to have some time to check out some of the beaches more closely. Without a doubt Radical Bay was the most popular, although a bit of a trek on an unsealed road to get there. So worth it - swimming without need for wet suits in winter, amazing! The kid's favourite was the tube ride at Horseshoe. Taking the car makes it so easy - pile it high & door to door - fantastic. Definitely will be doing it again soon.

More photos here:
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/5172228_PaKms

Horseshoe Bay

Horseshoe Bay

Horseshoe Bay

Tube ride on Horseshoe

Surf @ Florence Bay

Florence Bay

Radical Bay

Picnic Bay jetty looking toward Townsville

Horseshoe Bay

Last edited by drdan; Jun 15th 2008 at 11:00 am.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

pasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to all

What lovely pictures. Been here nearly two years and still not been over yet. David has been there quite a few times on business and loves it. He was thinking of taking us over this weekend but I have to work. Will have to book some time off I think!

Sara
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

Fantastic
Old Jun 15th 2008, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

pasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to allpasty legs is a name known to all

By the way, we shouldn't forget it is winter. Brrrrrrrr.

Sara xx
Old Jun 15th 2008, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

wonderful pics!..best pics of the area i have ever seen!

and funny that i come across this thread. we are looking at townsville to move back to in australia at some point in time...coincedence.or synchronicity perhaps..as i was talking with my friend who lives in Townsville just the other day. i am inspired! thanks!!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 4:37 pm
markj

painter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nice

Please sir can we have some more
keep them coming,great pics
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:37 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

Keep em' coming Danny - These are awsome!

We're stuggling a bit at the minute with "in-limbo" visa application blues. Things seem to have slowed down somewhat, and we're questioning wether we'll be over for the begining of August...

These were a real pickup though, cheers!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate

We're stuggling a bit at the minute with "in-limbo" visa application blues. Things seem to have slowed down somewhat, and we're questioning wether we'll be over for the begining of August...

yes it does get hard during the processes. keep the faith..as you know it is coming.....even tho i know these words sound lame...it will come.

i tend to do things that keep me on track and my goals...like...at the moment i am exploring properties...jobs etc back in australia even tho i know i wont' be going back anytime too soon. but even that grows boring after awhile. so then i try to remind myself of that saying. Life is what happens whilst your busy making other plans.

hard to live in the moment tho isnt' it..when realy your life is further away in another country. i remember saying a lot..i am sick of living like this. don't want to buy anything new..cos i will either have to get rid of it or take it with me! couldnt' start any courses etc..or even think about a change a job cos what is the point! i am leaving soon!

but believe me it wont' be long till this moment is a distant memory and you will be enjoying your new life in australia!~~and YES these pics have given me a PICK ME up~ aswell~~cheeersss~~

wishing you all the best for your new exciting adventures and future in Oz~..
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:43 pm
Danny

Hi Simon, sorry to hear it's getting slow for you. I hope that you hear something soon. It must be difficult putting everything on hold - I know how you feel.

Best wishes to you both,
Danny

Originally Posted by Simon.and.Kate

Old Jun 28th 2008, 1:14 pm
Danny

Far North QLD.

We took a holiday this week to stay for a few days in Palm Cove, which is approx 30 mins north of Cairns. Did a day trip into the rainforest & another to Port Douglas, another 45 mins or so north. Weather was actually quite variable - had some rain & cloud cover for a few days, so not all sun & sea this time! I guess it is winter & this is the wet tropics (rather than the dry as in Townsville...).

Stayed at Mango Lagoon Resort & Spa (some pics at link below) which was an absolute bargain from ratestogo.com for $160/night for a 2-bedroom, divided (separate entrance after common front door) apartment. They gave us a "VIP" voucher code to share so friends can get the same deal (quote #1830) if booking direct.

Unfortunately, arrived & realised that kids' clothes suitcase left in their bedroom at home. Hmm... only the clothes on their back. Katy (10) very happy to buy 4 days worth of clothes at Myer (no department stores this big in Townsville!)

Overall, a nice trip but 5 hours drive and beaches not *that* much better than Magnetic Island if that's what you're after & travelling from Townsville. Definitely some nice restaurants. Obviously rainforest a different experience, but Paluma Village is only an hour away.

Larger pics & more
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/5276175_Bv5z9

Port Douglas Beach

Flying high

Sky Rail up to Kuranda in the rainforest

Mango Lagoon Resort, Palm Cove

Cairns sea front - hmm, prefer Townsville Strand to be honest...

Palm Cove beach

Playing on the beach

Last edited by drdan; Jun 28th 2008 at 1:15 pm. Reason: Add URL
Old Jun 28th 2008, 1:49 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by drdan
Far North QLD.

We took a holiday this week to stay for a few days in Palm Cove, which is approx 30 mins north of Cairns. Did a day trip into the rainforest & another to Port Douglas, another 45 mins or so north. Weather was actually quite variable - had some rain & cloud cover for a few days, so not all sun & sea this time! I guess it is winter & this is the wet tropics (rather than the dry as in Townsville...).

Stayed at Mango Lagoon Resort & Spa (some pics at link below) which was an absolute bargain from ratestogo.com for $160/night for a 2-bedroom, divided (separate entrance after common front door) apartment. They gave us a "VIP" voucher code to share so friends can get the same deal (quote #1830) if booking direct.

Unfortunately, arrived & realised that kids' clothes suitcase left in their bedroom at home. Hmm... only the clothes on their back. Katy (10) very happy to buy 4 days worth of clothes at Myer (no department stores this big in Townsville!)

Overall, a nice trip but 5 hours drive and beaches not *that* much better than Magnetic Island if that's what you're after & travelling from Townsville. Definitely some nice restaurants. Obviously rainforest a different experience, but Paluma Village is only an hour away.

Larger pics & more
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/5276175_Bv5z9

Port Douglas Beach

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/321356847_x92iM-XL.jpg

Flying high
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/321357124_eyLoE-XL.jpg

Sky Rail up to Kuranda in the rainforest

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/321359981_wkYTi-XL.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/321359893_f72wg-XL.jpg

Mango Lagoon Resort, Palm Cove

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/321360482_tWGcE-XL.jpg

Cairns sea front - hmm, prefer Townsville Strand to be honest...

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/321361493_jswpc-XL.jpg

Palm Cove beach

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/321357535_5Qy6J-XL.jpg

Playing on the beach

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/321357760_jqYWX-XL.jpg
Lovely pics as usual drdan, got to get my girls to Nippers at Palm Cove in the morning, it's a nice spot we sometimes fish off the jetty but not caught anything yet

I agree the Esplanade foreshore is no picture postcard at low tide but it's teeming with wildlife and fascinating to watch the birds, crabs feeding (well some of us like that sort of thing )

Last edited by wannabauzzienurse; Jun 28th 2008 at 1:53 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

We are heading to Mackay in Queensland and are looking forward to visiting all the lovely places!
Have one question though...when can you actually go in the water? I mean when is it safe without jellyfish or other nasties!
Now...just have to wait 'till our house sells!
HKA
x
Old Jun 28th 2008, 2:37 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
We are heading to Mackay in Queensland and are looking forward to visiting all the lovely places!
Have one question though...when can you actually go in the water? I mean when is it safe without jellyfish or other nasties!
Now...just have to wait 'till our house sells!
HKA
x
Not sure about Mackay but here in Cairns the stinger nets came out of the water about a month ago and will go back in around Novemeber time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.