Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Too hot in Brisbane

Too hot in Brisbane

Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too hot in Brisbane

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The asbestos situation isn't good at all, is it. I deal a lot with repairs to storm damaged property, especially those involving SES volunteers, and its pretty alarming how many times the guys call back to us saying they are unable to proceed with jobs because of asbestos in the house and/or roofs.
For most renovators the asbestos issues are in the kitchen and bathroom. Under flooring and behind the tiles. Walls and roofs only become a problem if you touch it and more often then not, home renovators aren't touching that.

Interestingly you can remove and dispose of 10m2 yourself. Wet it, and don't breath in. You could eat a birthday cake of the stuff and all is cool. Just don't breath it in.

Or just be old. It takes about 40 years before you see issues.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 11:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
For most renovators the asbestos issues are in the kitchen and bathroom. Under flooring and behind the tiles. Walls and roofs only become a problem if you touch it and more often then not, home renovators aren't touching that.

Interestingly you can remove and dispose of 10m2 yourself. Wet it, and don't breath in. You could eat a birthday cake of the stuff and all is cool. Just don't breath it in.

Or just be old. It takes about 40 years before you see issues.
This isn't renovations with the jobs we get involved with. They are the ones where storms/cyclones have ripped houses apart, releasing the asbestos.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 11:28 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I don't find the GC humid except for those few days but I imagine after Perth's dry (horrendously dry imo) it would seem unbearable. I spent a month in summer in Perth back in the early 80s, the flies and the dry heat are not something I want to experience again!
The Gold Coast is significantly cooler than Brisbane. Heck, it's literally on the NSW border after all and that speaks for itself.

It's always nice to have aircon but in reality I've rarely had to use it, just on occasion during a handful of weeks in the entire year. Nothing more. Aircon will probably be used a lot more in places like Sydney or Melbourne where they get these crazy heat surges and temps soaring towards (or beyond) the 40s sometimes. You don't get that crazy summer heat in the GC.

I too would prefer the pleasant humidity of the tropics over a dry, desert-like climate. So to me places like Singapore or Thailand will be more comfortable than the desert heat of the Middle East (maybe someone who has been to Dubai during the peak summer period can pitch in).
Old Jan 31st 2017, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
The Gold Coast is significantly cooler than Brisbane. Heck, it's literally on the NSW border after all and that speaks for itself.

It's always nice to have aircon but in reality I've rarely had to use it, just on occasion during a handful of weeks in the entire year. Nothing more. Aircon will probably be used a lot more in places like Sydney or Melbourne where they get these crazy heat surges and temps soaring towards (or beyond) the 40s sometimes. You don't get that crazy summer heat in the GC.

I too would prefer the pleasant humidity of the tropics over a dry, desert-like climate. So to me places like Singapore or Thailand will be more comfortable than the desert heat of the Middle East (maybe someone who has been to Dubai during the peak summer period can pitch in).
Are you kidding about humidity on the Gold Coast. Last year I spent a week with a client at Southport in March.

For lunch (get this) we would stroll to the local shopping centre, some hideous 70's monstrosity full of purple haired retirees and unemployed, sleeveless bogans. Apparently the shopping centre was the place to lunch as it had aircon.

The walk there 5 minutes created sweat monsters. Same with the return. The humidity was just awful.

You see. Brisbane and the Gold Coast are just dumps. You pay for what you get.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Australia's deadly relationship with heat - BBC News
This latest from the BBC on the "sunburnt country"... the Australian Medical Association of New South Wales told the BBC. "Many people don't know that heatwaves are actually more harmful to human health than bushfires and floods."

I have reminisced about my childhood "Life in the bush" in a thread of that name in the Barbie forum, but have scarcely mentioned the heat in summer time. It was a dry heat out there, not the humidity of Brisbane (where I went to boarding school, and later worked in an office). The heat - and the climate generally - wasn't the popular talking-point it is today. Looking back, it's surprising we coped so well. Our little one-room schoolhouse on the Darling Downs had no fans (this was in the 1940s), and if there wasn't a breeze coming through the windows, our sweat soaked the books. And we ran around like mad things at break-times and lunch hours, as little kids do regardless of the temperature.

In Brisbane we had desk-fans - which had to remain on "gentle" to avoid blowing the papers all over the place. No air-con, in those days. On holidays down on what is now called The Gold Coast we lay on the beach sunbaking - in the days before the ozone layer began rotting away. Or before we learnt that it was, anyway.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

It's all a matter of personal preference. I don't find low to mid 30's with humidity unbearable, in fact it's my preference. I left Brisbane in 2008 and went back to Perth for eight months, the winter was hideous and I hated it. I then went to Dubai for a couple of years and it was hot, but you survive and just change your lifestyle a little to accommodate the heat. When I returned to Brisbane at the end of 2010, I froze and was wearing ugg boots and coats on the school run every day.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:11 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you kidding about humidity on the Gold Coast. Last year I spent a week with a client at Southport in March.

For lunch (get this) we would stroll to the local shopping centre, some hideous 70's monstrosity full of purple haired retirees and unemployed, sleeveless bogans. Apparently the shopping centre was the place to lunch as it had aircon.

The walk there 5 minutes created sweat monsters. Same with the return. The humidity was just awful.

You see. Brisbane and the Gold Coast are just dumps. You pay for what you get.
You went to Australia Fair and you're judging the GC on that experience? That's both the funniest and saddest thing I've read in years. Here's a thought, have some real experience of a place then judge it. However as has been said many many many times, we all have our own opinions and bodies. We all deal differently with every experience. You and others find a place too humid. Others don't. No one is wrong.

Australia Fair. smh
Old Jan 31st 2017, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You went to Australia Fair and you're judging the GC on that experience? That's both the funniest and saddest thing I've read in years. Here's a thought, have some real experience of a place then judge it. However as has been said many many many times, we all have our own opinions and bodies. We all deal differently with every experience. You and others find a place too humid. Others don't. No one is wrong.

Australia Fair. smh
Southport Park Shopping Centre actually. Falling short of living there, I'm up in Brisbane and Goldie all the time for work. That's my experience of both places and as you say, no one is wrong. Horrible experiences all round I'm afraid.

On the flip side, I'm down in Melbourne for work too. Yes it can get a little cold in winter for a few days here and there, so what? Put a jacket on. At least Melbourne has a little bit more going for it other than weather.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 12:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Southport Park Shopping Centre actually.
Oh dear.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Southport Park Shopping Centre actually.
I was baptised in the Southport C of E - Nerang Street, if I recall (!). Do us a favour and hop in and check out the Parish Register sometime? Ta.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I was baptised in the Southport C of E - Nerang Street, if I recall (!). Do us a favour and hop in and check out the Parish Register sometime? Ta.
Does it have air con?
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Does it have air con?
Probably not, doesn't seem to exist There is a St Peter's Anglican Church Gordon if that helps.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Probably not, doesn't seem to exist There is a St Peter's Anglican Church Gordon if that helps.
Ah, Penny, Penny, Penny... The Church of England became the Anglican Church several years ago. It was in all the papers at the time; surely you noticed.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 2:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Ah, Penny, Penny, Penny... The Church of England became the Anglican Church several years ago. It was in all the papers at the time; surely you noticed.
Nope. Someone mentions god I tend to turn off.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile... Brisbane seems to have temporarily dropped down in humidity, for something resembling a southern state heatwave, but mid 30's, not the roarin 40's delight that sometimes hits down there.

I am checkin out of brisbane on weekend back to melbourne, business dictates the dates but it had better be wet, cold and windy, looks like I may get a couple of days of that but very wary, its now the First day of Furnace February.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.