Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tiawamutu's House Build

Tiawamutu's House Build

Old Nov 24th 2007, 2:21 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiawamutu's House Build

Took some more pictures of the house today as they have fixed on all the door handles, and put loo roll holders and towels rails on. We checked all the door handles and 2 were not working. One of them actually is stuck shut (whoops ) So that will have to be fixed. Good job I wasn't inside the room when it happened Would have had to climb out the window again!

They need to touch up the paintwork above the border tiles, off when they changed them, but the bathrooms are finished now
Attached Thumbnails Tiawamutu's House Build-14.11.07-002.jpg   Tiawamutu's House Build-14.11.07-004.jpg  
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:16 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

They started the block paving today, and have done most of the drive, porch and alfresco
Attached Thumbnails Tiawamutu's House Build-26.11.07-002.jpg   Tiawamutu's House Build-26.11.07-003.jpg   Tiawamutu's House Build-26.11.07-005.jpg  
Old Nov 26th 2007, 4:40 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tiawamutu's House Build

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
They started the block paving today, and have done most of the drive, porch and alfresco
Looking good, mate.

Old Nov 27th 2007, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Looking good, mate.

Well it was!

Not a happy bunny at all

They laid the carpets yesterday, and when I went and had a look, it was obvious that they hadn't used underlay where the tiles are, it isn't level with where the carpet ends (can see a few accidents happening there!!)

When we went to pre-selection there was no mention of underlay as an option, and I assumed (because of all the other upgrades that were included in the house) that it would come as standard.

I am really upset about it now, as we will probably end up re-laying the whole carpet, (which is glued solid to the floor!) which is something we never expected we would have to do! :curse:

They will be doing the landscaping in the next couple of days. See what comes of that!

Anyone any idea where we stand with this if we take it further, and who should we complain to?

Here's some pictures anyway. The carpet looks ragged round the edges, but that is just where they haven't hoovered it yet....They also fitted the shower screens. At least they look nice.
Attached Thumbnails Tiawamutu's House Build-27.11.07-003.jpg   Tiawamutu's House Build-27.11.07-006.jpg   Tiawamutu's House Build-27.11.07-011.jpg  
Old Nov 27th 2007, 11:29 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Well it was!

Not a happy bunny at all

They laid the carpets yesterday, and when I went and had a look, it was obvious that they hadn't used underlay where the tiles are, it isn't level with where the carpet ends (can see a few accidents happening there!!)

When we went to pre-selection there was no mention of underlay as an option, and I assumed (because of all the other upgrades that were included in the house) that it would come as standard.

I am really upset about it now, as we will probably end up re-laying the whole carpet, (which is glued solid to the floor!) which is something we never expected we would have to do! :curse:

They will be doing the landscaping in the next couple of days. See what comes of that!

Anyone any idea where we stand with this if we take it further, and who should we complain to?

Here's some pictures anyway. The carpet looks ragged round the edges, but that is just where they haven't hoovered it yet....They also fitted the shower screens. At least they look nice.
Just have a quiet word with them and tell them you aren't entirely happy. Don't ask don't get. Do they put the skirting boards on top of the carpet then??
Old Nov 27th 2007, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird
Just have a quiet word with them and tell them you aren't entirely happy. Don't ask don't get. Do they put the skirting boards on top of the carpet then??
Already spoke to the site foreman, but more or less told 'tough luck mate, you should have chosen underlay at pre-selection'. Will take it higher, as there are a few things we weren't offered (and weren't aware of) at pre-selection, and are not happy about.

...and no......no skirtings as....guess what? We weren't told they were an option
Old Nov 27th 2007, 11:37 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Already spoke to the site foreman, but more or less told 'tough luck mate, you should have chosen underlay at pre-selection'. Will take it higher, as there are a few things we weren't offered (and weren't aware of) at pre-selection, and are not happy about.

...and no......no skirtings as....guess what? We weren't told they were an option
skirtings not an option!!! I don't blame you for taking it further, it will take the shine off it you aren't entirely happy. Bathrooms look good, we are going for similar glass border tiles in blue.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:15 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Well it was!

Not a happy bunny at all

Why is the carpet glued to the concrete? surely its just pulled onto the edging strips.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Why is the carpet glued to the concrete? surely its just pulled onto the edging strips.
Not if there's no underlay (I think)
Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:30 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Well it was!

Not a happy bunny at all

youve hit the nail on the head by saying " i assumed". we all know what assumptions make. the builder is not at fault. you have to read contracts carefully as builders will get away with murder if you let them. we had the same dramas with window sills when we first built over here. it didnt even enter my head that a house would come without them. you live and learn.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:07 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by youngy73
youve hit the nail on the head by saying " i assumed". we all know what assumptions make. the builder is not at fault. you have to read contracts carefully as builders will get away with murder if you let them. we had the same dramas with window sills when we first built over here. it didnt even enter my head that a house would come without them. you live and learn.
you know what assume did, it made an ass out of u and me.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 10:06 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
you know what assume did, it made an ass out of u and me.
exactly
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
No...and I've heard it's quite common practice....which is crap when you wat to change it.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:46 pm

Well it wasn't actually written down, and we had no contract, just a pre- selection sheet that was all in builder's jargon, that we got 2 days before we went to pre-selection...and the details of the carpet weren't even on there!
We bought the house just before the pre-selections needed to be done, and just made it in time (hence why we got the forms late)

So no we didn't just assume, we were not made aware (of more than one thing) So technically it was the person in charge of our selections (who went through everything with us) who failed to inform us of our full options

We have now talked about the carpets, and were considering having them removed and redone. We have since checked them, and have decided it will cost too much, and after all, we can have a rug in the theatre room or bedrooms where most of the use will be.

As you say, you live and learn...
Old Nov 28th 2007, 2:47 pm

exactly
I assumed you would say that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.