Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A thread for everyone building their own home

A thread for everyone building their own home

Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:03 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A thread for everyone building their own home

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Ohhhh, now you have me worried, I will look tomorrow! If I see a hearse driving up the road I'll be sure to run over and lock the gate before they can steal our hole
No dont worry mate, just charge them rent

You could say their locked in for a lifetime :scared:
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
No dont worry mate, just charge them rent

You could say their locked in for a lifetime :scared:
As long as it is as profitable as a mobile phone tower I might be tempted
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

ammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to all

Hi,
very interesting reading.we also are looking at a knock and build in bayside(Melbourne) maybe beaumaris. We are just starting to look for a house to pull down!!! We have looked in a couple of other areas but Bayside is the preference at the moment. Any advice on builders and architects would be great!!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:16 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

As long as it is as profitable as a mobile phone tower I might be tempted
Seriously hope and look forward to seeing your home progress on schedule, within budget and above expectations
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously hope and look forward to seeing your home progress on schedule, within budget and above expectations
Thanks, I seriously hope so as well , particularly the on budget bit or we might have to start renting out the land to make up the difference

Did you find yourself some land? I seem to remember you were looking to demolish a house and build your own?
Forum Regular

ammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to all

you are going to build in Melbourne..Right? Hows it progressing?

Last edited by ammer; Aug 17th 2006 at 10:30 am.
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by ammer
Hi,
very interesting reading.we also are looking at a knock and build in bayside(Melbourne) maybe beaumaris. We are just starting to look for a house to pull down!!! We have looked in a couple of other areas but Bayside is the preference at the moment. Any advice on builders and architects would be great!!
Gidday Ammer,

Would suggest having a chat with Ian from JPP buying agents. They are currently looking for us in the Malvern/Armadale area. We have time on our hands and in no rush which is good because finding the right plot takes time and research.

Are using an Architect in Fitzroy who seems on the same wavelength as myself.
Hoping to use some BE tradies when we start building (ie support those that need it).
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

sounds great.What size are you planning on building?so you are going to owner build type thing? Is that cost effective?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:25 am
Melbourne Australia

Thanks, I seriously hope so as well , particularly the on budget bit or we might have to start renting out the land to make up the difference

Did you find yourself some land? I seem to remember you were looking to demolish a house and build your own?
It will take a little longer than first expected due to planning restrictions etc. Have our eyes on several at the moment.

Plot price has gone from $400K to $600K now to $900K so come on property downturn oops those who just bought dont listen too me
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

wow ,we only want to pay 600,000 for the plot .dont know how realistic that is!! then to build i suppose we should get it all done for 500,000 .what do you think?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:31 am
Melbourne Australia

sounds great.What size are you planning on building?so you are going to owner build type thing? Is that cost effective?
414 Sq metres if I calculated it correctly being 3 levels about 6 x 23 metres.

Bottom level is a basement garage for 3 cars + small boat and laundry/strong room for my guns. (4 metre depth is the biggest planning issue at this stage)

Second level is entertainment area

Third level is bedrooms including roof terrace (to seperate adults from the kids)

Our intention is to have it facing the city so from our balcony we can sit in the hot tub and watch a sunset.

Build cost is around $850K (before the wife goes mad with tiling etc)
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

jeez,
sounds fab!! and i thought mine was going to be great i like the idea of keeping the kids area separate...must look into that.so are you renting in the area in the interim?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Third level is bedrooms including roof terrace (to seperate adults from the kids)
Wouldn't building a small shed in the garden to lock the kids in be cheaper?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:40 am
Melbourne Australia

jeez,
sounds fab!! and i thought mine was going to be great i like the idea of keeping the kids area separate...must look into that.so are you renting in the area in the interim?
Renting and will continue to do so while we build - not emotionally tied up with a need to live in my own house. Doing it purely to get the right for when family are older and we (the parents) need our space.

It sounds a big build but infact its just in keeping with the area for build quality - the intention is to have a low impact design but retain practicality (and high on security).
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:43 am
Melbourne Australia

Wouldn't building a small shed in the garden to lock the kids in be cheaper?
You seen my daughter at Bunnings? Can rip them apart

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.