Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A thread for everyone building their own home

A thread for everyone building their own home

Old Jun 16th 2006, 2:31 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A thread for everyone building their own home

Hi Sunny

Where in Oz you moving to?

Our Architect mentioned something about problems with planning permission on having 2 dwellings on the same plot - They treat it as a development build against single dwelling???. Sorry cant remember the entire conversation but we were going to build additional house at the rear for the MIL & FIL (which we would rent out after they move on).

Anyway you would need to ensure the plot can be subdivided - some areas dont allow.

Kiwi
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:22 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Hoping to move to Perth.

I can see where the Architect would be coming from if maybe we were to purchase the land on our own and build a 2x semi-det with a view to sell the other. I wonder how this would be if for instance you and another were to joint purchase a single plot which would be big enough frontage say to build a semi detached both being say 3x2 or 4x2.

Along the lines of: Mr smith and Mr Jones would like to purchase 1/2 of the plot size you have for sale and also we would both like to build our houses as a joint venture ( semi detached)with equal share of the land

At which point would the Planning Department or whoever makes the decision step in and say the likes of: this plot of land can only have 1 house frontage?

From what i can see most ppl seem to go for the (what looks like) 15 mtr frontage Bungalow type houses. What would be wrong with 2x Semi Detached 2 level 7.5mtr frontage?

The main reason i am asking the Q about this is that i have family members who are also looking to move to Aus in the next year or so and would like to have the opportunity of being able to look at larger single plot sales with a view to build 2x 4x2 Semi detached houses on the same Plot

Originally Posted by thebears
Hi Sunny

Our Architect mentioned something about problems with planning permission on having 2 dwellings on the same plot - They treat it as a development build against single dwelling???. Sorry cant remember the entire conversation but we were going to build additional house at the rear for the MIL & FIL (which we would rent out after they move on).

Anyway you would need to ensure the plot can be subdivided - some areas dont allow.

Kiwi
Old Jun 16th 2006, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking to pull down existing house in Malvern and build 3 possibly 4 levels.

Kiwi
Sounds exciting! You might be interested in this site: www.adethebuilder.co.uk

It's obviously in the UK, but it's a FANTASTIC self build diary - I learned loads.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:30 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A thread for everyone building their own home

Hi Sunny

Kiwi
How about just sticking an annex on mate? Thats along the lines of what we've got planned for my Dad. All you need is another three rooms - bed, ensuite, open plan kitchen/living. I guess you might get round the planning regs then?

Buzzy
Old Jun 16th 2006, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
Hoping to move to Perth.

I can see where the Architect would be coming from if maybe we were to purchase the land on our own and build a 2x semi-det with a view to sell the other. I wonder how this would be if for instance you and another were to joint purchase a single plot which would be big enough frontage say to build a semi detached both being say 3x2 or 4x2.

Along the lines of: Mr smith and Mr Jones would like to purchase 1/2 of the plot size you have for sale and also we would both like to build our houses as a joint venture ( semi detached)with equal share of the land

At which point would the Planning Department or whoever makes the decision step in and say the likes of: this plot of land can only have 1 house frontage?

From what i can see most ppl seem to go for the (what looks like) 15 mtr frontage Bungalow type houses. What would be wrong with 2x Semi Detached 2 level 7.5mtr frontage?

The main reason i am asking the Q about this is that i have family members who are also looking to move to Aus in the next year or so and would like to have the opportunity of being able to look at larger single plot sales with a view to build 2x 4x2 Semi detached houses on the same Plot
hi mate i work with lots of builders i will ask them for you
Old Jun 16th 2006, 10:08 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

My dad and his brother endured the hassles of planning permissions when they joined to homes together in Bondi Junction.
We have to commit to not installing bedroom heating, for God's sake! It's been minus six every night this week....
Old Jun 16th 2006, 10:42 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody we are building in Springfield Lakes with Fletcher Morgan Watermark Homes. The land has been bought, plans approved and tweeked but at the moment all we have to show is a plot of dirt and the next door house hopefully within the next week or so the slab may be down and we will have a bit of something to see. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law are in charge of keeping us up to date as we are not due to fly out until October so we will be making them hike round the corner from their house to take photos and send weekly reports
At the moment there looks to be an awful lot of bush at the side of our plot We are the end plot in a cul-de-sac of 3 houses with bushland and artificial billabong next to us, hope the critters are friendly :scared:

Loz x
Old Jun 17th 2006, 1:23 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers mate, any info on this would be much appreciated.

john

Originally Posted by robert cowan
hi mate i work with lots of builders i will ask them for you
Old Jun 17th 2006, 4:00 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
We have to commit to not installing bedroom heating, for God's sake! It's been minus six every night this week....
Suggest you move to Melbourne mate
Old Jun 17th 2006, 4:02 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Suggest you move to Melbourne mate
Cost of carting 4000sq. m. of dirt to VIC is too much....
Old Jun 17th 2006, 4:04 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
How about just sticking an annex on mate? Thats along the lines of what we've got planned for my Dad. All you need is another three rooms - bed, ensuite, open plan kitchen/living. I guess you might get round the planning regs then?

Buzzy
We went to an auction today - but it was attached to the side so didn't pursue. However it was interesting to note that of the 35 people who attended only 2 bid - the other 33 were from the same street just observing.
Old Jun 17th 2006, 4:07 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by Wol
Cost of carting 4000sq. m. of dirt to VIC is too much....
We should have plenty to give you - awaiting specs and costs for extra height in basement - 4 metres deep 7 metres wide and 30 metres length.

Hope the bank manager had a good weekend.
Old Jun 17th 2006, 3:12 pm
Carramar Perth

Springo is on a distinguished road

Hi all

We are building with Scott Park and are very happy with things so far, Slab went down in Feb and we have lock up on monday.

some pics for you
Attached Thumbnails A thread for everyone building their own home-house-1.jpg   A thread for everyone building their own home-house.jpg   A thread for everyone building their own home-house-2.jpg   A thread for everyone building their own home-kitchen.jpg  
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:13 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Springo
Hi all

We are building with Scott Park and are very happy with things so far, Slab went down in Feb and we have lock up on monday.

some pics for you
Hi, Is that the Grand Inspiration 236?

It's looking good

What size is your block?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:25 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loz
Hi everybody we are building in Springfield Lakes with Fletcher Morgan Watermark Homes. The land has been bought, plans approved and tweeked but at the moment all we have to show is a plot of dirt and the next door house hopefully within the next week or so the slab may be down and we will have a bit of something to see. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law are in charge of keeping us up to date as we are not due to fly out until October so we will be making them hike round the corner from their house to take photos and send weekly reports
At the moment there looks to be an awful lot of bush at the side of our plot. We are the end plot in a cul-de-sac of 3 houses with bushland and artificial billabong next to us, hope the critters are friendly :scared:

Loz x
IT'S STARTED.......................just had e-mail from brother-in-law. Site has been cleared, trees down,pegged and levelled. Slab should be going down before the end of the week The movie of the build has been started and we should have our first piccies next week. God how sad is that

Loz x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.