Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A thread for everyone building their own home

A thread for everyone building their own home

Old Apr 17th 2006, 9:44 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A thread for everyone building their own home

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Here's some of ours from start to finish.

fab hoose
Old Apr 18th 2006, 10:12 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
fab hoose
Thank you. Just got the garden to do now, its going to take a while, for Jim that is, I do nowt, except supervise.

Found some more pics. The first one (I hope) is the block before we started. Actually, its before the bulldozer came in and cleared. Jim had chopped all the trees down and they were regrowing!
Attached Thumbnails A thread for everyone building their own home-before.jpg   A thread for everyone building their own home-kitchenfinished.jpg   A thread for everyone building their own home-entrancehall.jpg   A thread for everyone building their own home-rooffront.jpg  

Last edited by JaneandJim; Apr 18th 2006 at 10:14 am.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
Glad u like me kitchen...I have had mixed reactions from peeps...but hey we love it so thats all that matters
I think your whole house is just gorgeous. I'm very jealous
Old Apr 18th 2006, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

All houses are so fab I'm jealous can't wait till we are in that position.Mandy
Old Apr 18th 2006, 1:51 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Just got the garden to do now, its going to take a while, for Jim that is, I do nowt, except supervise.

Found some more pics. The first one (I hope) is the block before we started. Actually, its before the bulldozer came in and cleared. Jim had chopped all the trees down and they were regrowing!
All I can think of when I look at where your house is located is "SNAKE!!!"...

Do you encounter a lot of the wildlife where you are?
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

hedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sunshinesarah
Mine's a Coral - would build with them again.
On market if anyone's interested???

Sunshine Sarah
Why are you selling this lovely house, are you becoming a build a holic LOL,
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

hedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to beholdhedgehog is a splendid one to behold

Your kitchen is fabulous
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hedgehog
Your kitchen is fabulous

Exactly what i was about to say !!
Old Apr 18th 2006, 3:43 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Wondering if anyone has used Content Living or Dale Alcock in WA? We found a couple of houses we really love and wnat to know whether or not we should go with these builders. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 11:27 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a spread!

It appears from the photo that you are using timber framing and steel roofwork: is this right? We are still umming and ahing over steel v timber for the studding and using timber up top!

They all say around here that steel makes a lot of expansion noise - but we had it as framing in Florida with a wooden roof structure and certainly din't have that. When we say it, they all tell us that they "can't do" steel unless it's all the house! Uphill struggle.......
Old Apr 19th 2006, 2:13 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Quite a spread!

It appears from the photo that you are using timber framing and steel roofwork: is this right? We are still umming and ahing over steel v timber for the studding and using timber up top!
Yep, its all wood and colourbond steel roofing. The roof trusses are wood, though. The stumps are steel but the verandah posts are timber. Termite heaven! The roof does creak a bit as it warms up but it's no worse than the noise a "normal" house makes when it settles down at night-time. We have a loft space so its not too bad when it rains either.

We used Garth Chapman's Traditional Queenslanders. Apparantly they build in NSW now. http://www.traditionalqueenslanders.com.au/

Jane
Old Apr 19th 2006, 2:21 am
Born to be ignored

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK

Do you encounter a lot of the wildlife where you are?
We haven't seen a snake here yet but our neighbour had a small tree snake in his house the other day. Snakes don't worry me too much, it's spiders I don't like but we've only had a couple of Johnny spinners in the house. (One lives under the sofa) We have tree frogs living in the plants on the verandah. We have a giant goanna who wanders about occasionally and we have a wedge-tailed eagle patrolling overhead sometimes. We have lots and lots of lovely birds, wrens, finches, cockies, king parrots, galahs, rosellas, lorikeets, kingfishers, bee-eaters, you name it!

Jane
Old Apr 19th 2006, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Paul & Wendy will become famous soon enoughPaul & Wendy will become famous soon enough

We are buiding in Adelaide with Oakford Homes - the only problem is that we will be based in Scotland until Christmas when the house should be finished.
Posted the signed plans back to the builder today with 4 pages of alterations etc.
Simple things that we also noticed such as the doors all being hung the wrong way - this seems to be an Australian thing. Also, they split the bathroom into 3 seperate rooms, ie toilet, bath/shower area and washbasin area. We have asked that the walls are removed to create a single larger room. We are also not too happy about the basic style of kitchens etc and the upgrades are very expensive compared to the UK. We are still considering shipping a new flat pack kitchen, freezer, dish washer etc with us and fitting them ourselves.
Otherwise, the choice of materials such as bricks, roofing, etc is far better than in the UK.
We are hoping that friends in Adelaide will post pictures of the build once it starts and will then share them with you all.
Regards, Paul
Old Jun 15th 2006, 2:31 pm
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all

Anyone else looking to build their own home?

I'm particularly interested in doing this when I get to Oz so thought I would give the thread a 'bump'.

Ali X
Old Jun 15th 2006, 8:29 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK

thought exactly the same!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.