Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on London bombings

Thoughts on London bombings

Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Thoughts on London bombings

Originally Posted by renth
particularly when the nuke goes off.
Lol! What nuke? The chances of that happening in the UK are positively anorexic. In fact, if it does happen, I'll personally eat my own arse.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dirk Gently
Judy's hot!!! For a fifty something alcoholic fat bird. Or am I missing something

Dirk
You ARE missing something.

Glasses...

JTL
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Pre-war Germany and modern Britain are incomparable.
what about all this spirit of the Bliz then?
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:41 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu.E
Lol! What nuke? The chances of that happening in the UK are positively anorexic. In fact, if it does happen, I'll personally eat my own arse.
He, he, naturally I don't want you to have to eat your own arse, but imagining it is pretty funny. I don't think it's highly likely, more a 50-1 outside bet.

Anyway, have a look at this:

http://www.unitedstatesaction.com/suitcase-nuclear.htm
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

One of the minor reasons we moved here was because I think there's going to be a WMD attach in London soon - a "dirty" bomb or a "suitcase nuke". - So, sorry BP, this was one of my reasons.

Just like I still can't work out why more Jews didn't leave for America during the late 1930's when the writing was on the wall for them.

Another thought about the bombings was thank god Australia has a sensible immigration policy, with good screening systems. A policy that includes a generous humanitarian stream taking refugees from UN camps from all over the world. A policy that deters families paying smugglers to take their "best" sons across the world in rickety boats to dump them on our beaches.

Another though is I can't believe how stupid these bombers were, it would have been so easy to have left the devices on the trains with a timer. Then every few days repeat the process, thus causing real terror, rather then just blowing themselves up. If you were serious about "terrorizing" that was plain dumb.
That exact thought occurred to me. Why on earth use up 4 lives? Can't recall how many suicide bombers were killed in 9/11 (about 8 wasn't it), but you're looking at slightly different ratio of deaths per capita. Very easy to 'leave' many bags on many trains in the Tube during rush hour, and then detonate them all. Surely a much more devastating effect?

Sorry, depressing thought I know.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family

That exact thought occurred to me. Why on earth use up 4 lives?
Sorry, depressing thought I know.

I read about it after 9/11, someone tried to explain inside the mind of a suicide bomber, by dying that way they believe they attain some sort of high status/eternal life, the most glorious way to go, giving their all for the cause and being rewarded in the afterlife for it.

All I can think is how strong must the brainwashing be to get UK born, univeristy educated, cricket loving kids of fish and chip shop owners to believe that.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

He, he, naturally I don't want you to have to eat your own arse, but imagining it is pretty funny. I don't think it's highly likely, more a 50-1 outside bet.

Anyway, have a look at this:

http://www.unitedstatesaction.com/suitcase-nuclear.htm
50-1? Hmm. I remember reading a piece by one of the UK's security experts who was basically saying how pie in the sky this kind of thing was and that how the *real* danger was from some random person covering themselves in explosive and blowing themselves on a train etc.

Which is pretty what happened.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I read about it after 9/11, someone tried to explain inside the mind of a suicide bomber, by dying that way they believe they attain some sort of high status/eternal life, the most glorious way to go, giving their all for the cause and being rewarded in the afterlife for it.

All I can think is how strong must the brainwashing be to get UK born, univeristy educated, cricket loving kids of fish and chip shop owners to believe that.
Yes, that's what Mr J just said
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:18 am
(It's not my real name)

50-1? Hmm. I remember reading a piece by one of the UK's security experts who was basically saying how pie in the sky this kind of thing was and that how the *real* danger was from some random person covering themselves in explosive and blowing themselves on a train etc.

Which is pretty what happened.
I can sincerely say I hope that this person was right and that I'm wrong.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jad n rich

and 74 (+-) virgins waiting for them in heaven
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

I can sincerely say I hope that this person was right and that I'm wrong.
I think we all do. Theres just so much sensationalist writing/theorising about nukes/dirty bombs etc, and needless scaremongering by the UK press. I think what this guy was trying to do was just cut through crap and say where the real danger lies.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

The Muslim Council of Great Britain didn't share your optimism unfortunately and were advising Muslim to stay indoors for a while.

A shame really, but unfortunately there *are* a lot of ignorant people in Britain happy to be whipped into a frenzy by the tabloids. I expect the Sun/Mail etc were very disappointed to find out these guys were British born.
I heard on the radio that there have already been 80 reproted attacks against Muslims since the bombings. Sad times.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Un-Co
I heard on the radio that there have already been 80 reproted attacks against Muslims since the bombings. Sad times.
It doesn't help when you have parties like the BNP using images of the bombing in their campaigning. I don't think they could sink any lower...
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't help when you have parties like the BNP using images of the bombing in their campaigning. I don't think they could sink any lower...
Thats repulsive.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Un-Co
Thats repulsive.
And unfortunately true.............

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4674675.stm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.