Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those looking at comming out

For those looking at comming out

Old May 14th 2007, 3:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those looking at comming out

Can I start a book on how fast it will be before someone suggests the OP post this on the MBtoUK forum. Oh bugger I just did
Old May 14th 2007, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Hutch I get very frustrated when some posters assume that their part of Australia is the same as everyone elses.

We're 32kms out of the city and have lights on the roads (well, apart from the scary mountain ones), we have public transport and we have a great pub, with dart board, open fire and Old Speckled Hen (no pokies or TAB)!

I used to work for the Bristol Cultural Development Partnership, so perhaps my view on culture is wider than some - but, for me, Melbourne and surrounds are stacked with cultural activity.
Old May 14th 2007, 3:43 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebabaros
Mate, you should learn to use the spellcheck button, it comes in handy

I was gonna advice that as well, he says he's got a well paid job...obviously theres no paperwork involved then eh ??
Old May 14th 2007, 3:47 am
dc1
Forum Regular

dc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the roughdc1 is a jewel in the rough

What I was trying to say is have a proper look at where they are going what they want and think before you come out.
Oz has a lot going for it.
The biggest problem with this forum is that some of the negatives are never given credence. If you move out from one of the bigger cities in OZ you can be very isolated. Go north from Melbourne for over 2 hrs and apart from Bendigo or Echuca the towns have about 200 people with a small corner shop and nothing else. All the towns are about 1/2 hr from any other town. A Sunday drive would constitute driving for 2-3 hrs to get anywhere.
Other things to consider :-

Phone costs - higher cost
Internet - higher cost
Education cost - books, school fees (even non private)
Dental - high cost no NHS (even though it is hard to get in the UK)
Medical - 33% private
Road deaths are shocking I think it was 25 at xmas!
Weather - much better
Weather - much better
Weather - much better
I had to put something in that was good!
Old May 14th 2007, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dc1
The biggest problem with this forum is that some of the negatives are never given credence. If you move out from one of the bigger cities in OZ you can be very isolated. Go north from Melbourne for over 2 hrs and apart from Bendigo or Echuca the towns have about 200 people with a small corner shop and nothing else. All the towns are about 1/2 hr from any other town.
I don't really think that this is a negative about Oz as such. Its a negative for an individual if they choose to live somewhere like this and don't like the low population density. To others its a positive and they thrive on living in an area like this. You also can find that lower population areas can have a much greater community spirit than much more populated areas.

I think where it can become a problem is if people emigrate to these areas without understanding what it means to live in a fairly remote area in Australia.
Old May 14th 2007, 4:02 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc1
What I was trying to say is have a proper look at where they are going what they want and think before you come out.
Totally.

Originally Posted by dc1
The biggest problem with this forum is that some of the negatives are never given credence.
I disagree - but as I said, don't post opinion as fact.

Originally Posted by dc1
If you move out from one of the bigger cities in OZ you can be very isolated. Go north from Melbourne for over 2 hrs and apart from Bendigo or Echuca the towns have about 200 people with a small corner shop and nothing else. All the towns are about 1/2 hr from any other town. A Sunday drive would constitute driving for 2-3 hrs to get anywhere.
Well sure, they're little rural towns. Why would you move to a rural area if you wanted big city buzz and a Stockland shopping centre on your doorstep?

Originally Posted by dc1
Phone costs - higher cost - I pay much less, despite the fact that I work from home and regularly (like every day, for several hours) phone the UK and the states.
Internet - higher cost - not for me - used to pay about £50 a month in the UK, here I pay $90 for an 8Mb line.
Education cost - books, school fees (even non private) - yep - education costs - books, clothes etc...
Dental - high cost no NHS (even though it is hard to get in the UK) - had no problems with Medicare, hurts a bit paying for a GP appointment but I get most of it back...
Medical - 33% private
Road deaths are shocking I think it was 25 at xmas! - over 3000 people die every year on UK roads.
Weather - much better
Weather - much better
Weather - much better
I had to put something in that was good! - no, you didn't *have* to, if it's crap for you then it's crap.
Old May 14th 2007, 4:06 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc1
. Go north from Melbourne for over 2 hrs and apart from Bendigo or Echuca the towns have about 200 people with a small corner shop and nothing else. All the towns are about 1/2 hr from any other town. !
Not True !!
i live in Mildura, population of Mildura alone is about 55,000, surround areas equal roughly 20,000, its a big place up here, and believe me there is more than a corner shop dont create assumptions on places from what you hear from other people
Old May 14th 2007, 4:11 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm intrigued by the open spaces thing. Down here we seem to have tonnes of the stuff (and a lot with nice boardwalks). Certainly my part of Australia provides me with more open public space than any of the places I lived in the UK.

Old May 14th 2007, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dc1
I know I will get slated for this but for those who are thinking of coming out here I thought I would let you have some info:-

I think the biggest mis information is that people have rose coloured glasses.

I am in a very good job high paid. The things I would say to people are:-

Work is ok if you are high paid the cost of living comparatively to the UK is:-

Food - far more expensive
Travel - air travel - far more expensive
Travel - Car second hand far more expensive
Travel - new car cheeper
Travel - petrol - far cheeper, but have to travel further
Clothing - cheeper not as much choice lot of imported crap
Houses- cheeper, standard of build poor
Eating out - cheeper, but no good pubs
Cinema - same
People - friendly if they have to be (if they work for you or with you)

The things I miss - open space that you are allowed to go on. Most of the land in Oz is privately owned.
If you go outside of a city you will not have any lights on the road at night, there is no public transport outside of cities so if you have children you will have to run them everywere we spend about 15-20 hrs per week doing this.

Culture there is non, history museums are full of aboriginal crap once you have looked at one boomerang you have seen them all. The Oz culture revolves around drinking at home (cant walk to a pub outside the city) watching the football (Oz footbal), fishing in a muddy river if there is any water, working 50 hr / week for low pay staying inside in summer as it is to hot to go outside.

Derek
GREAT POST !!!!!!!!!!!! SPOT ON
Old May 14th 2007, 4:20 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I'm intrigued by the open spaces thing. Down here we seem to have tonnes of the stuff (and a lot with nice boardwalks). Certainly my part of Australia provides me with more open public space than any of the places I lived in the UK.

Yea, it's the whole right-to-roam thing though - pretty much any field or land in the UK you could almost always find a public footpath across it. That's down to the age of the UK of course and I can see why it's different here. Just a bit of a shame when you can't, for instance, walk along the coast here because it's privately owned. That said there's some enormous public parks and rain-forests around that you can walk on.
Old May 14th 2007, 4:48 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Yea, it's the whole right-to-roam thing though - pretty much any field or land in the UK you could almost always find a public footpath across it. That's down to the age of the UK of course and I can see why it's different here. Just a bit of a shame when you can't, for instance, walk along the coast here because it's privately owned. That said there's some enormous public parks and rain-forests around that you can walk on.
I guess this is less of a problem where I live (Mornington Peninsula). I can only think of a couple of small places where you can't walk along the coast due to private property (ex-bombing range excepted). This footpath is interesting as it goes through people's gardens. They try to make it look like you can't use it (i.e. there is a door at one end) but it's open to the public under the Queen's Chain rule.

Last edited by MartinLuther; May 14th 2007 at 4:52 am.
Old May 14th 2007, 5:21 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: For those looking at comming out

Originally Posted by dc1
If you go outside of a city you will not have any lights on the road at night,

This is a positive, right?

One of the things I am looking forward to when we move back downunder (used to live in rural NZ) is being able to see lots of stars at night.

Buzzy
Old May 14th 2007, 5:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

One of the things I am looking forward to when we move back downunder (used to live in rural NZ) is being able to see lots of stars at night.

Buzzy
Well I love lack of lighting. And as I remember areas where I lived in the UK the countryside roads didn't have lighting either but I guess views are relative to where you come from and what you're used to.
Old May 14th 2007, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
Absolutely! I'm not even rural really, just on the edge of a suburb - but the stars at night are just amazing. Every night they are so bright and clear.
Besides, don't we all have headlights for driving on unlit roads at night?
Old May 14th 2007, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah. I also love the lack of lighting. Back in the UK the streetlights in our old road were 'upgraded' by the council to meet EU standards. The result was the road was like Blackpool illuminations. If you didn't have blackout curtains then bedrooms on the front of the house never got properly dark. I'm sure years ago the street lights used to be turned off after a certain time but now they burn right through the night even though almost nobody is out. What a waste of energy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.