Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those about to leave Pt 2 (Top tips)

For those about to leave Pt 2 (Top tips)

Old Sep 7th 2007, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Mike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: For those about to leave Pt 2 (Top tips)

We used Golden Arrow and can't recommend them highly enough!
Fantastic.

Mike
Old May 31st 2008, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

hello_cmc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ,
any workaround for this

"we were lucky enough to have a friend (of a friend actually) who was kind enough to let us use their home address as our postal address until we rented. This is very useful if you can do it at all. We didn’t really want ATM cards etc being posted in the communal box of the holiday accommodation unit."

we do not know anyone in australia.will the cards be lost if posted in the communal box of the holiday accommodation unit?

Thanks
Old Jun 1st 2008, 12:08 am
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, this thread gone in me Aus fav folder
Old Jun 1st 2008, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Mike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to behold

Re the address - probably best to E mail ANZ or another Oz bank to see what they recommend. I wouldn't send anything of value to a communal post box. We had some gifts from home sent to one and never seen them again!

Good luck

Mike
Old Jun 1st 2008, 3:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike H
Re the address - probably best to E mail ANZ or another Oz bank to see what they recommend. I wouldn't send anything of value to a communal post box. We had some gifts from home sent to one and never seen them again!

Good luck

Mike
As this has just been resurrected, I'll repost the link on it for the "sticky" top tips thread at the top of the forum......HERE
Old Jul 25th 2008, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

belfastflyer is an unknown quantity at this point

great post!

I was wondering - I'm waiting to hear back about a job interview and should I be successful and go, how long would I have to wait to apply for a credit card?

Is it like the UK - at least 6 months credit history? I won't be going with anywhere near $300k so that route is closed to me as well.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

I would keep a UK account activated and use your existing credit card, then if it does take six months there would be no issue.

If I recall correctly when we got our Oz credit cards it was based on a points thing, we already had our accounts with the bank but the thing they wanted to see was a full employment contract.

Hope this helps and good luck with the job mate.

Twenty months in here and never looked back!

Mike

Old Jul 27th 2008, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

belfastflyer is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers mike!
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:18 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by belfastflyer
great post!

I was wondering - I'm waiting to hear back about a job interview and should I be successful and go, how long would I have to wait to apply for a credit card?

Is it like the UK - at least 6 months credit history? I won't be going with anywhere near $300k so that route is closed to me as well.
They don't care about your credit history in the UK. You leave that behind when you come over.
Definitely keep your UK credit card, and keep an account open - very useful for family wanting to give you cash for the kids, any refunds you are due on stuff when you close BT accounts etc, and also if you go home on holiday.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:29 am
Just Joined

Mouse Goes South is an unknown quantity at this point

What an incredibly useful thread and a great starting point. Are there any other "to do list" and "top tip" threads that someone could point me to as I was wondering whether or not, 18 months after Mike's original post, if others have built upon his good work?

Thanks in advance.

MGS
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. It's at the top of the Aus page - under 'Threads in Forum' - says Read Me at the beginning
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:16 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Yes. It's at the top of the Aus page - under 'Threads in Forum' - says Read Me at the beginning
Its also linked to this thread in at least two places
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Mouse Goes South is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
As I sense I'm on a "hiding to nothing" here and I'm also
outnumbered, I will just say thank you Pollyanna and Moneypen !
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to all

With regard to the posts about keeping a UK creit card / applying for one when you get to Oz. I have an American Express card, and found this on their site:

http://www.americanexpress.com/globa....shtml?page=CM

Looks like you can trasfer your card (and I also assume your credit score) from country to country. Haven't done it yet but will certainly be looking into it when the time comes. Although I have money in Westpac I'm going over as self-employed so won't have any employeent contracts / wage slips to wave at the bank. If anyone tries this Amex method and gets more info please will they post here how they got on.

thanks, Lisa