Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

For those about to leave Pt 2 (Top tips)

For those about to leave Pt 2 (Top tips)

Old May 18th 2007, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

kevnew1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For those about to leave Pt 2 (Top tips)

Credit Card stuff,
forgot to point out in my earlier post in this thread that we applied for the credit cards as part mortgage application process. My wife also reminded me we arranged Debit Cards whilst in the bank activating the account. Lots of important jobs can be achieved during a recce.

Kev
Old May 18th 2007, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

hello
great post and some good reading.just makes me want to go NOW
all the best
Dave
Old May 18th 2007, 3:28 pm
Qualify in Sept!

mattyuk will become famous soon enough

Hey great post really helpful and informative, long but no where near boring, thanks!!
Matt
Old May 18th 2007, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

WILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud ofWILKINSONS has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mattyuk
Hey great post really helpful and informative, long but no where near boring, thanks!!
Matt
What a fab thread!!!
Very informative!! Like many of us , you have done your homework and it seems to have paid off. No matter how much we research we can't always get it right. There are so many things to think about and "to do" both before the departure and upon arrival, it's very scarey!
We are hoping to be in Brissy by mid June '07 and your thread is very useful as both a comparison to what we are doing and also a checklist.

To everyone out there, what really makes me frustrted/angry/mad/etc are the people in the UK that comment on "How they couldn't leave family and freinds" and comment "Oh I couldn't do that etc" just at a time when you are booking flights and telling everyone when you will be leaving...
For god sake we have been talking about it for 2 years, got PR and now all of a sudden we are "the bad guys".

Sorry for that, but get a bit fed up of the old "guilt trip" beind dissed out all the time.

Any way, the thread is MINT so I am sure I will add some other "to do's" to my list..

Good Night
Janex
Old May 18th 2007, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kevnew1
Fantastic tips in this top post.
With reference to the bit about Oz credit cards we have a bit of extra info; We were lucky enough to go on our recce to Qld recently and activated our Westpac accounts (everyday and high interest) while in Brisbane. While in the bank we asked for both ATM and credit cards to be created and for them and the PIN numbers to be sent to our UK address. The bank had a minor admin faff but we got the cards ok. Additionally we also managed to start the Mortgage application process off and now have a "pre-approval" figure that we can use as a base for house hunting. If you would like the Migrant Mortgages manager contact details please pm me.
Hope this might be helpful

Kev.
Are you planning to use you Aussie credit cards in the UK to build up a 'credit' score?
Johnnyyt
Old May 19th 2007, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

kevnew1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Johnnyyt,
We organised an "everyday" and "savings account" with the Westpac well in advance of our recce. We then transferred money from the UK into both accounts for a number of reasons. The first was to develop a credit score in Oz as we intend to rent on our arrival and hope this credit score will help our application. We also got a much better exchange rate through HIFX than using the tourist rate, when we transferred our investment, so we used the Westpac account to fund our expenses while in Oz. It was always our intention to get Oz credit cards and when applying for our mortgage there was a part in the application form that offered a credit card. In fact the application process allowed to choose Master card or Visa and a whole suite of products dependant on personal circumstances/needs. If I can be of more help please ask.
Kev
Old May 20th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Kev,
thanks for the help, hope all is going well for you.
Johnnyyt
Old May 21st 2007, 11:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic tips and information. Thank you for putting the time in to write it and help the rest of us.

Pete
Old May 21st 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Very good post!

I agree with this point:
All Aussies, so don’t huddle under the expat thing too much…..go for it.

We are not in UK or Aus yet. But we decided to mix with the locals from the off. They have been very friendly and have more helpful tips than you could ever use.

So agree with 'dont huddle under the expat thing too much'
Yes, its great mixing with other expats but you need to get to know the locals too.

GEMS
Old May 22nd 2007, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

sapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by maund family
Great post Mike,

We will not be coming over for 15-18 months but have started the process. I note from your post that you took your dog; any advice? who did you ship with? Was your pooch used to kennells etc? We move around Europe quite a bit so he is all jabbed and passported up.

Thanks John M
I too would be interested to know who transported your dog over, as he obviously is OK.
Old May 22nd 2007, 4:24 pm
skye

We are using Golden Arrow in Shropshire, they have a very good reputation - search though the threads!

Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

For those about to leave Pt 2

is there a

For those about to leave Pt 1 ???

anyone got a link?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:23 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

These top tips are great, if any of you get a minute why not add your top tips to the wiki. It's really easy to use, just find the page you want to add to and then click the "edit" tab.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 2:25 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen
For those about to leave Pt 2

is there a

For those about to leave Pt 1 ???

anyone got a link?
I don't know but there is a list of other 'top tip' threads here
Old Sep 6th 2007, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.