Reload this Page >

thinking of moving to Oz

thinking of moving to Oz

Old Feb 2nd 2013, 7:58 am
Just Joined

alic45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question thinking of moving to Oz

Hi
WE are thinking of moving out to Oz - I am an experienced childrens nurse and my other half has been looking at mining work in Perth area - anyone have any tips for us? We haven't started our visa application yet and we're off to a jobs fair next weekend to do some fact finding!
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: thinking of moving to Oz

Originally Posted by alic45
Hi
WE are thinking of moving out to Oz - I am an experienced childrens nurse and my other half has been looking at mining work in Perth area - anyone have any tips for us? We haven't started our visa application yet and we're off to a jobs fair next weekend to do some fact finding!
If it's general advice you are looking for try reading the Australia forum.

Are you adult as well? I know a couple of nurses who are only pediatric who have struggled to find work here in the Perth area...

What does your husband do?
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: thinking of moving to Oz

thanks for your reply - yes I'm dual trained with 25 years experience. My other half doesn't have a trade but would turn his hand to pretty much anything!
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your reply - yes I'm dual trained with 25 years experience. My other half doesn't have a trade but would turn his hand to pretty much anything!
You should be ok... Mining appears to be in the doldrums a bit at the moment...quite hard to find anything unskilled in it right now... Could you survive for any length of time on just your wage?

It's a question you may need to ask yourselves....
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Thanks - I'm sure we could manage if we had to! Any tips gratefully received!
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks - I'm sure we could manage if we had to! Any tips gratefully received!
Hopefully one of the wardens will be along in a minute to move this into the Australia section for you......
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 10:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
First thing to do is look to see if you're eligible for a visa www.immi.gov.au is where to look. Once you determine that, you can start looking at other stuff like where to live, etc.

You need to know that mining work is not 'in Perth'. And without a skill and experience it's unlikely he will get work on a mine site. There are plenty of unskilled locals around mining towns that they don't have to hire them FIFO.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 1:26 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

They are not desperate for mine workers over here. If your other half has no trade or skills then it will be difficult to get a job. Otherwise you will be over here and working all hours in a new country with no family or friends to back you up or support you and having to support all your family.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 6:01 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

why are you thinking of moving to australia ?
what do you imagine you will find in australia that will be good ?
have you ever been here on a holiday ?
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Timmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really niceTimmo84 is just really nice

Hi Alice, were there any tips or questions in particular that you needed help with? Or are you only just starting out with your research?