Reload this Page >

Thinking of migrating

Thinking of migrating

Old Oct 8th 2015, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Wishtomove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of migrating

Hi, New to all of this so bare with us.
We are thinking of migrating to Australia but are not sure on the current climate and jobs, or even the best areas to be looking at.
We are a family of 4 and think we will have to use my husbands trade to get in.
He is a joiner/carpenter and has over 18 years experience but has not been doing joinery work for the last 4 years as he changed to a sales role in kitchens designing them as well.
Firstly can we apply for a visa for his trade and can he get a job in something over than his trade? For example sales?
Secondly would the above effect us getting Residency if he did not stick to his area of work?
Third is it worth using an agent? If so any recommendations?

Any help much appreciated
Old Oct 8th 2015, 1:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of migrating

Originally Posted by Wishtomove
Hi, New to all of this so bare with us.
We are thinking of migrating to Australia but are not sure on the current climate and jobs, or even the best areas to be looking at.
We are a family of 4 and think we will have to use my husbands trade to get in.
He is a joiner/carpenter and has over 18 years experience but has not been doing joinery work for the last 4 years as he changed to a sales role in kitchens designing them as well.
Firstly can we apply for a visa for his trade and can he get a job in something over than his trade? For example sales?
Secondly would the above effect us getting Residency if he did not stick to his area of work?
Third is it worth using an agent? If so any recommendations?

Any help much appreciated
The point of truth is Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection to find out if he qualifies for a skills visa. If he can meet the requirements for a 189 thats the best one, as then you are free to live anywhere and work in any job once here.
There are other options such as a 190 but they are more restricted and require for example sponsorship of one kind or another, or tie you down to a specific state or regional area for a time.

Have a look and see what he qould qualify for first, and whether he would pass the skills assessment.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Wishtomove is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the link, can anyone tell me what is best.
Get a 189 visa then move and try and find a job.
Go on the EOI list and wait for a reply.
Or any other way,

I have looked on the SOL list and get 60 points but it does not guarantee a job when you get to Australia, i do not want to fail.

Please let me know as right now I' m really confused as this is such a big risk.

Many thanks
Old Oct 8th 2015, 8:03 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link, can anyone tell me what is best.
Get a 189 visa then move and try and find a job.
Go on the EOI list and wait for a reply.
Or any other way,

I have looked on the SOL list and get 60 points but it does not guarantee a job when you get to Australia, i do not want to fail.

Please let me know as right now I' m really confused as this is such a big risk.

Many thanks
Everyone looking for a skilled visa has to have an EOI. From this DIBP invite people to apply for visas.

Given the amount of experience your OH has, a WHV will be out as these are only available to under 31.

You can try and find a sponsor for a 457 visa but not sure how likely that is, and the 457 is a temporary visa anyway.

If your OH can meet the requirements of the skills assessment, meet the points requirement and other criteria then the skilled visa would be the best route. Once OH has valid assessment and proof of English then you can lodge EOI and wait for invitation.

You probably need to spend more time looking at the immigration website visa requirements, and also TRA / Vetassess for skills assessment requirements. If you are British, a passport meets the English requirements but if you need points for English then you need to sit IELTS or one of the other exams
Old Oct 9th 2015, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Given that there may be some issues with passing the skills assessment due to his time away from his trade, I would recomend you consult a good registered migration agent. Go Matilda are highly regarded for this and will give an initial consultation for free.

As for work, that is the gamble all migrants take.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, New to all of this so bare with us.We are thinking of migrating to Australia but are not sure on the current climate and jobs, or even the best areas to be looking at.We are a family of 4 and think we will have to use my husbands trade to get in.He is a joiner/carpenter and has over 18 years experience but has not been doing joinery work for the last 4 years as he changed to a sales role in kitchens designing them as well.Firstly can we apply for a visa for his trade and can he get a job in something over than his trade? For example sales?Secondly would the above effect us getting Residency if he did not stick to his area of work?Third is it worth using an agent? If so any recommendations? Any help much appreciated
Hi, like suggested you need to find out if your "skill/trade" is on the "list" but (not sure if it still remains the same) you needed to be currently working in your trade to apply, if all is okay with your skill etc then I would go down the PR route as in the long run it's a lot less stressful (to my mind) if I was looking to migrate now I would firstly look to where my skill is in most demand and then look into that State/Area and really do my homework in regards to the cost of living (it does vary from state to state) homes and will the area suite how you like to live your lifestyle. I would nowadays take as much money as I could to get started so save, save, save, the more money (like anywhere in the world) the better choices and start you have. Good luck
Old Oct 10th 2015, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

From my own experience and you will find plenty on here. If you`re young, go for it. I came over at 43 and still kicking myself I didn't do it a few years earlier(as planned). Best move I made but we would have been better off financially. If you have equity in a home there it will improve your chances manyfold. Exchange rate at present is well in your favour, that said you are looking at poss a year to 18 months before you get here. At the time I applied you had to be in your trade at least no more than 18 months past. I was lucky with work but spent 5 months prior to starting. I budgeted for that and we could have lasted 9 months. Though no deposit left for a house!. Research, research, research. And do some Soul searching to, life without family and friends!. If you need to rush back for anything you are over a day away. It often only strikes home when it happens. We had friends here which made the first month a breeze. As Brits1 said money, money, money.