Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things you wish you'd known before arriving in Australia..

Things you wish you'd known before arriving in Australia..

Old Aug 7th 2006, 7:13 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you wish you'd known before arriving in Australia..

Originally Posted by Hutch
I wish someone had explained the 'document' route to me and the order you get them in. Medicare, TFN, Centrelink, ABNs, Bank, Driving licences etc. Would have saved a few trips back and forth. It was different for me being an Ozzie citizen, but you can open a bank account with your passport (100 points of ID), which (three days later) gets you documentation with your name and address on it. Passport and bank statement got me a driving licence. Passport, citizenship certificate and bank statement got me a TFN (this was diff. for me though because I'm visa-less). Driving licence, passport, bank statement, evidence of worldly goods being shipped and DIMA receipt, got me a Medicare number. TFN (prospective, takes 28 days to come through), citizenship certificate and passport got me Centrelink'd.
I applied for my TFN online by just using my Medicare number. What's the deal with being "Centrelinked"? Should I do this?

Cheers.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I applied for my TFN online by just using my Medicare number. What's the deal with being "Centrelinked"? Should I do this?

Cheers.

No, don't do it mate. It's awful :scared:

I went in the one in Adelaide CBD and queued for about 15 minutes, when I got to the front of the queue the girl at the desk told me to come back the next day cos they were busy

Needless to say I've not been back yet
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone. There are some really useful posts there and its great to read them.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:32 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK

Cheers.
Yea, that's why I said it was different for me - being a passport carrying Australian citizen. I had to apply for my TFN in person at the tax office, but I applied for my wife's online. As to Centrelink - you're a tax payer now, so make sure you sign up - I just phoned them for the same reason as above and a very helpful guy got all the info he needed and is posting me the forms already filled in for me to sign.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:33 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
No, don't do it mate. It's awful :scared:

I went in the one in Adelaide CBD and queued for about 15 minutes, when I got to the front of the queue the girl at the desk told me to come back the next day cos they were busy

Needless to say I've not been back yet
See my reply above Wendy.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of

lol - they are big ****ers. My BIL was sat using his PC last summer... glanced up and there was a humungous huntsman on the wall. He slowly pushes his chair back, goes into the kitchen and gets some tupperware to catch it in. Comes back in, marries the tupperware up to the spider, goes 'oh shit - I'm going to need something bigger'. Goes back into the kitchen comes out with a casserole dish!! Goes to put it over the spider - huntman leaps four metres across the room to the other wall and then runs down the back of the aircon unit. In the end he just opened the window and shut the door. Went back later and spidey appeared to have vanished. However. Few days later he has his neice over to stay and she sleeps in that back bedroom that the PC's in. Everyone toodles off to bed, has a nice sleep, in the morning they're sat there eating their breakfast and she goes 'Uncle Richard - there's a really nice big spider in my bedroom'. He goes, 'oh yea', she says 'Yes, it played on the wall for me'. So he goes into the bedroom and there he is. Whips the casserole dish out again - makes a dash for the spider - get the dish over it but catches one of its legs on the edge. So he pushes down good and hard and the leg falls off. Gets a bit of card, slides it under the dish, takes dish out to car, drives car five miles up the road, deposits handicapped huntsman in forest and returns. Says to his brother 'like to see the bastard jog back five miles with a leg missing!' and puts the casserole dish in the dishwasher.

Hutch - that was absolutely brilliant!!!!!!!!!! We've been in stitches - karma sent to you for brightening up a crap day!!!!! xxx
Old Aug 7th 2006, 10:01 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Its amazing how hard spiders are to kill especially the big ones, you step in them or hit them with something 5 times really hard and their still alive or they pretend to be dead and you think they are dead then they get up and start running again.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 9:28 am
Just Joined

stjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Lord Pom Percy]Its amazing how hard spiders are to kill especially the big ones,

Wait till you see the ones that could run off with a small child.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=stjames]
Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Its amazing how hard spiders are to kill especially the big ones,

Wait till you see the ones that could run off with a small child.
Kidnapped by a spider, I suppose it would make better reading than a dingo....
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:17 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Someone suggested this in another thread and so I'm happy to oblige, because I think it's a good idea.

Can I make one tiny request. Could we pleeeeeeeeease keep this to genuinely useful information, rather than turning it into the usual bun fight between the 'defenders of the faith' and the 'Oz is bollocks' crews. Information, good or bad, but not stupid generalisations and opinion. I don't hold out much hope , but let's see how it goes.
I wish I'd known or realised just how isolated the country is from the rest of the world making overseas travel dead expensive and also how isolated all the cities are from one another.

I also wish I'd realised they had such an unworkable state/federal system with so much inter-state-federal rivalry