Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things you wish you'd known before arriving in Australia..

Things you wish you'd known before arriving in Australia..

Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:18 am
Tell it like it is'er

Scorpio1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Things you wish you'd known before arriving in Australia..

Plus nobody tells you that you need to wear a coat to go to the cinema due to the over-zealous use of air-conditioning (why do they have it so cold or even on at all in colder weather? What a waste of electric!).
Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:29 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Things you wish you'd known before arriving in Australia..

Originally Posted by Hutch
Someone suggested this in another thread and so I'm happy to oblige, because I think it's a good idea.

Can I make one tiny request. Could we pleeeeeeeeease keep this to genuinely useful information, rather than turning it into the usual bun fight between the 'defenders of the faith' and the 'Oz is bollocks' crews. Information, good or bad, but not stupid generalisations and opinion. I don't hold out much hope , but let's see how it goes.
That when you turn right people crossing the road have right of way (as there little man turns green at the same time as the triffic lights). Neary killed a load of people when I first got behind the wheel here
Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:36 am
Just Joined

AngC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themerlin
That when you turn right people crossing the road have right of way (as there little man turns green at the same time as the triffic lights). Neary killed a load of people when I first got behind the wheel here
That you can't always walk diagonally across the road at traffic light junctions - nearly got flattened a few times!
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

Most are probably aware of this but.... your skills may not be fully appreciated and to carry on your chosen profession a form of apprenticeship may be the only option available to you.
Leading on from this revelation.... bring enough cash to live on for a year so you can get the licences and build the contacts without the pressure of having to compromise and lose your self esteem and confidence.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant future

if you are planning using UK credit cards when you first arrive, don't forget to inform them of your move before you get here. We forgot, and promptly got two cards frozen on us!
Also check out contact details for things such as credit cards etc, and awful lot of them only have 0800 phone no's on the statements, which you can't use from Australia, so you need to contact them before you leave UK to get the none 0800 number.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Knew pretty well what to expect partners an aussie, But from what rels in the UK think about OZ, I would say knowing the following are very important.

Australia is not cheap, it used to be even in 2000 I would say it was significantly cheaper than the Uk, that is no one reason we came out, now its a very different story. Cheap reputation was founded on fact but is now very out of date and needs to be forgotten.

Weather, its not wall to wall sunshine, often its too hot, too wet, too windy, or in some places it might even be too cold. Its just as possible to be too hot to do some things, as it is to be too drizzly in the UK. Dayliight hours may be very odd in summer light at 5 dark at 7 type thing.

What it costs to uphold the my family are only going to be a flight away theory. Aifares here are very expensive, for a family like us 5, going over even in term time costs around $11,000 with taxes, thats cheap time not the christmas/summer period, if your planning trips back understand the cost and that its an enormous amount of money in aussie wages. Also aussie dollars usually buy a few pennies overseas, once you get there it will take a lot of money to keep you going.

Check whats required to work in your profession, will it require licences or postings outback/remote to further or even start your career.

Things educational and medical for children are not free, things like dental, prescriptions etc and even as someone said state school, if you have children you will notice the difference these things add to your annual budget.

Some crime/drug rates are higher here, dont come expecting some great improvement on the faults human nature dishes out, there are scumbags here too.

Mix with aussies, most say this is difficult and stick with poms, catch 22 that aussies will be your leads and contacts into things.

Your family, relationship, weight, vices wont change, if your husband got on your nerves there he probably will get on them twice as much with the stress of it all. Your new boss will probably be just as much of a wanker as he was in the Uk, sorry but thats so true

Prepare for your family to be divided on what they think of OZ and who wants to stay and who wants to go back, mum and dad may think its lovely, your 14 year old may think you have just dragged them to a living hell, just be prepared for divided and ever changing opinions, I think thats been the most draining part of it all for us.

I hope I have not upset the posters who are asking for people not to 'inflict' as it was put, our daily trials and tribulations on those coming out, but I think in the majority this sort of stuff is exactly what people want to read. Its a great experience, just be very aware at the end of the day its just another country and most days will be pretty much the same sort of routine you get anywhere really.
Karma on the way. I'm looking into investment properties at the moment and often find myself making a reference to '2000' - maybe it was a watershed year. Just occured to me though; (we're all getting older) but 2000 is now the best part of 6 years back. In 12 months its almost three-quarters of a decade....of course it costs now. Add in the little increases in the late 90s and low inflation back in 2000 - and it clear why some people seem to think there is still more space in the property market and why we've 'caught up'.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

In Melbourne if you are turning right, you have to go into the left lane first, wait until the cars behind you have gone straight on and then turn right, or do a U turn. Had fun with that in the first place. But if you watch the other cars you learn quickly....

Also if you have a weight problem in UK you can loose weight I lost weight and kept it off in the 12 years I lived there. I found it easier to eat healthier, especially as I ate out all the time and never cooked. I find that more of a challenge in UK.

If you husband gets on your nerves in the UK, ditch him for an Aussie when you get over.

I personally like the weather, if you're in the hot states, and you don't have a swimming pool, pop into your local hotels, and pretend you are a guest. Did it all the time.

Expect to feel the cold if the temperature drops even a few degrees at night, or go into aircon. I thought it funny, to be cold at 25 degrees, when it was 30 during the day.

Expect to get colds, sore throats when you go and work in aircon offices, especially if you are not used to it. Lots of lovely germs float around them, especially in big offices. I often got larangitisis (sp) when I first was working in them. In fact in a second interview I had lost my voice which was interesting, but I got the job so it wasn't too much of a problem. I never used aircon wherever I was at home wherever I was and that included NT and Queensland

That if you have a cat, expect it to be on curfew in some places and may have to wear a bell. This is to save the birds. Also expect quite a few Aussies not to like cats.

That you need to shower at least twice a day in the heat and use anti persperant (sp)

That you can find GP's who deal with Eastern and Western Medicine which I personally prefer, or if you are into alternative health there are plenty of people who are also in to it.

That company cars may incur a percentage of it being taken out of your wages. It may work out better to have a company car, rather than your own personal one, or it may not.

That if you get ripped of, ie from a mechanic and your cheque has been cleared if you tell your case to the Bank Manager he may take it back out of the persons account and back to yours. It happened to me, when I had that problem, in fact the whole bank was helpful. (Westpac Sydney)

That if you live with someone for a couple of years (or it may be less now) they can be viewed as your defacto which is thought of the same as marriage and they may be entitled to half your possessions.

If you sublet a room to a flat mate, once they have paid rent to you, it is damn hard to get rid of them, if they haven't paid any, you can legally throw them out. So be careful who you take in.

If you are single there are agencies that people looking for flat mates, ie Melbourne and Sydney (don't know about the other states) they will check out the applicants and you will know abit about them before ringing up. I found one of the places I lived in that way.

That there are support groups for new migrants, especially women. Might be worth having a look at that when you first arrive, especially those who may be a home whilst husband and kids are not there. It may be a quicker way of making new friends.

If you jay walk, especially in Sydney, expect to be fined on the spot by the police.

If you drive from state to state and there is no traffic on the road for miles, don't think you can speed, PC plod will suddenly appear from nowhere. Most of my tickets came in outlandish places where there was hardly any traffic around.

If you decide to hitch hike like I did from Darwin to Perth, make sure you have plenty of water, food isn't important but water is.

Same goes for travelling between cities, always make sure you carry water, a) for your car if it overheats b) for yourselves if you break down and are stranded.

Again beware of Kangaroos when you are driving at night in country areas.

Going back to spiders if you have plenty of scrub and trees around your house you will get loads of spiders in it. Also be aware that when you walk under trees at night, one may land on your head. I never rented an old house or one that had trees close to it.
Apart from the redback, funnel web (sydney) be also aware of a small black spider with a white spot on its tail, this can cause gangrene in some cases, especially maybe for diabetics, if bitten. Small case have had some very unplesant side effects. Also the dangerous ones will generally come towards you rather than run away. Some may even chase you. A can of hairspray is always a good deterrant, I never had insect spray, but a can of hairspray was always near me. The non dangerous spiders tend to run away, the others can be more agressive. Don't leave clothes on the floor overnight, (good way of keeping you tidy) and check you bed before you get into it. I never go bitten during my time in Oz, but I did come across some of the nasties, but they generally got killed. I never killed a huntsman. Oh and sometimes there is a spider behind your visa in the car, I had one drop into my lap when I was driving, nearly wrote the car off, thankfully I didn't. Before I went to Oz I nearly called the firebrigade when I saw a spider, especially the bath ones. I didn't worry about them, although if in the bedroom, I get rid of them, I don't want to wake up, especially to find a huntsman sat on my face.... (A huntman can be the size of a saucer) I'm chuckling here, as all those spider phobics, will be cringing and I remember the first time I saw one in my bedroom, I woke my husband up. He told me not to worry, I said it wasn't staying in my room otherwise I wouldnt' sleep. It could have stayed there all night if it didn't move, but I wanted to know where it was if it did. He laughed for ages about that.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
In Melbourne if you are turning right, you have to go into the left lane first, wait until the cars behind you have gone straight on and then turn right, or do a U turn. Had fun with that in the first place. But if you watch the other cars you learn quickly....

Also if you have a weight problem in UK you can loose weight I lost weight and kept it off in the 12 years I lived there. I found it easier to eat healthier, especially as I ate out all the time and never cooked. I find that more of a challenge in UK.

If you husband gets on your nerves in the UK, ditch him for an Aussie when you get over.

I personally like the weather, if you're in the hot states, and you don't have a swimming pool, pop into your local hotels, and pretend you are a guest. Did it all the time.

Expect to feel the cold if the temperature drops even a few degrees at night, or go into aircon. I thought it funny, to be cold at 25 degrees, when it was 30 during the day.

Expect to get colds, sore throats when you go and work in aircon offices, especially if you are not used to it. Lots of lovely germs float around them, especially in big offices. I often got larangitisis (sp) when I first was working in them. In fact in a second interview I had lost my voice which was interesting, but I got the job so it wasn't too much of a problem. I never used aircon wherever I was at home wherever I was and that included NT and Queensland

That if you have a cat, expect it to be on curfew in some places and may have to wear a bell. This is to save the birds. Also expect quite a few Aussies not to like cats.

That you need to shower at least twice a day in the heat and use anti persperant (sp)

That you can find GP's who deal with Eastern and Western Medicine which I personally prefer, or if you are into alternative health there are plenty of people who are also in to it.

That company cars may incur a percentage of it being taken out of your wages. It may work out better to have a company car, rather than your own personal one, or it may not.

That if you get ripped of, ie from a mechanic and your cheque has been cleared if you tell your case to the Bank Manager he may take it back out of the persons account and back to yours. It happened to me, when I had that problem, in fact the whole bank was helpful. (Westpac Sydney)

That if you live with someone for a couple of years (or it may be less now) they can be viewed as your defacto which is thought of the same as marriage and they may be entitled to half your possessions.

If you sublet a room to a flat mate, once they have paid rent to you, it is damn hard to get rid of them, if they haven't paid any, you can legally throw them out. So be careful who you take in.

If you are single there are agencies that people looking for flat mates, ie Melbourne and Sydney (don't know about the other states) they will check out the applicants and you will know abit about them before ringing up. I found one of the places I lived in that way.

That there are support groups for new migrants, especially women. Might be worth having a look at that when you first arrive, especially those who may be a home whilst husband and kids are not there. It may be a quicker way of making new friends.

If you jay walk, especially in Sydney, expect to be fined on the spot by the police.

If you drive from state to state and there is no traffic on the road for miles, don't think you can speed, PC plod will suddenly appear from nowhere. Most of my tickets came in outlandish places where there was hardly any traffic around.

If you decide to hitch hike like I did from Darwin to Perth, make sure you have plenty of water, food isn't important but water is.

Same goes for travelling between cities, always make sure you carry water, a) for your car if it overheats b) for yourselves if you break down and are stranded.

Again beware of Kangaroos when you are driving at night in country areas.

Going back to spiders if you have plenty of scrub and trees around your house you will get loads of spiders in it. Also be aware that when you walk under trees at night, one may land on your head. I never rented an old house or one that had trees close to it.
Apart from the redback, funnel web (sydney) be also aware of a small black spider with a white spot on its tail, this can cause gangrene in some cases, especially maybe for diabetics, if bitten. Small case have had some very unplesant side effects. Also the dangerous ones will generally come towards you rather than run away. Some may even chase you. A can of hairspray is always a good deterrant, I never had insect spray, but a can of hairspray was always near me. The non dangerous spiders tend to run away, the others can be more agressive. Don't leave clothes on the floor overnight, (good way of keeping you tidy) and check you bed before you get into it. I never go bitten during my time in Oz, but I did come across some of the nasties, but they generally got killed. I never killed a huntsman. Oh and sometimes there is a spider behind your visa in the car, I had one drop into my lap when I was driving, nearly wrote the car off, thankfully I didn't. Before I went to Oz I nearly called the firebrigade when I saw a spider, especially the bath ones. I didn't worry about them, although if in the bedroom, I get rid of them, I don't want to wake up, especially to find a huntsman sat on my face.... (A huntman can be the size of a saucer) I'm chuckling here, as all those spider phobics, will be cringing and I remember the first time I saw one in my bedroom, I woke my husband up. He told me not to worry, I said it wasn't staying in my room otherwise I wouldnt' sleep. It could have stayed there all night if it didn't move, but I wanted to know where it was if it did. He laughed for ages about that.
I think Funnel webs are the only spiders that come to mind that are 'aggressive', if trapped or provoked, don't necessarily think they will come after you.

We have a house backing on to scub, don't see many - seasons can go by and not a single one.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I like that idea
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
I think Funnel webs are the only spiders that come to mind that are 'aggressive', if trapped or provoked, don't necessarily think they will come after you.

We have a house backing on to scub, don't see many - seasons can go by and not a single one.
The male funnel web can be aggresive, and also the mouse spider, which is like the funnel web but has bigger fangs and can be more toxic. They often use the antidote of the funnel web to try and counter the mouse spider apparently. I think it is these that some have been chased by. The other one to watch is the white tipped spider as this also caused ulcerisation in some, especially I think those who may suffer from diabetes etc. I saw these mostly in Melbourne as well as our friend the Huntsman who seems to be everywhere, lol. Those are the main ones I've personally seen in the house. Seen a few snakes, including the great brown in Darwin, a friend and I walked over to where it was, it actually turned its head to look at us, but because we didn't go any closer, it carried on. That was in an urbanisation.

The other things that can be annoying are the ball ants, (they are huge)they bite you to death as well, I got them in my tent, and opted to sleep in the Ladies loo......which wasn't a good idea as I think people thought I was ill lying on the floor and kept waking me up to see if I was okay.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 4:19 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

I love it here in Perth, the only thing i wish i had bought is ultrabright toothpaste.....would i return to the UK to buy it??? NO! weigh up the pros and cons and enjoy the ride, no adventure in you, go home!!!!!! its only one day away thats what i tell myself ......
Old Aug 6th 2006, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

stjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant futurestjames has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Hutch]Someone suggested this in another thread and so I'm happy to oblige, because I think it's a good idea.

I WISH I HAD KNOWN ABOUT BRITISHEXPATS.COM.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
lol - no mate - read step 3 ... "3. In the top window of the Ignore list enter 'iamthecreaturefromuranus' and in the second selection window enter 'emu72'."
Gotcha! Thanks!
Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:34 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

When you said you nearly called the firebrigade when you saw a spider in the uK, reminds me of a stroy l heard about a Pom lady in Melbourne who called the police when she saw a huntsman spider in her lounge room, the police threatened to charge her with wasting their time.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
When you said you nearly called the firebrigade when you saw a spider in the uK, reminds me of a stroy l heard about a Pom lady in Melbourne who called the police when she saw a huntsman spider in her lounge room, the police threatened to charge her with wasting their time.
Well I must admit that first one I saw, I thought you have got to me kidding me....:scared:I was reading a book at the time and saw something at the corner of my eye run past. Initially I thought it was a bat that had flown past until I looked properly. It was bloody huge, bath spiders looked quite small in comparison. It was even to big to squash it with my shoe, its legs would have been either side. I thought of buying a little collar and lead, so I could at least drag them outside, lol. You have to laugh don't you. Although having them in a car with me, I'm not so keen on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.