Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Things you wish you'd known before arriving in Australia..

Things you wish you'd known before arriving in Australia..

Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:25 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things you wish you'd known before arriving in Australia..

Someone suggested this in another thread and so I'm happy to oblige, because I think it's a good idea.

Can I make one tiny request. Could we pleeeeeeeeease keep this to genuinely useful information, rather than turning it into the usual bun fight between the 'defenders of the faith' and the 'Oz is bollocks' crews. Information, good or bad, but not stupid generalisations and opinion. I don't hold out much hope , but let's see how it goes.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:33 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you wish you'd known before arriving in Australia..

Originally Posted by Hutch
Someone suggested this in another thread and so I'm happy to oblige, because I think it's a good idea.

Can I make one tiny request. Could we pleeeeeeeeease keep this to genuinely useful information, rather than turning it into the usual bun fight between the 'defenders of the faith' and the 'Oz is bollocks' crews. Information, good or bad, but not stupid generalisations and opinion. I don't hold out much hope , but let's see how it goes.

I wish I'd known (or believed!) exactly how cold it gets here in the winter. I would have brought all of my winter clothes with me (well not the coats but winter woolies etc and loads of warm pj's) instead of giving them all to my mum for her to carboot!
Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:44 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I wish someone had explained the 'document' route to me and the order you get them in. Medicare, TFN, Centrelink, ABNs, Bank, Driving licences etc. Would have saved a few trips back and forth. It was different for me being an Ozzie citizen, but you can open a bank account with your passport (100 points of ID), which (three days later) gets you documentation with your name and address on it. Passport and bank statement got me a driving licence. Passport, citizenship certificate and bank statement got me a TFN (this was diff. for me though because I'm visa-less). Driving licence, passport, bank statement, evidence of worldly goods being shipped and DIMA receipt, got me a Medicare number. TFN (prospective, takes 28 days to come through), citizenship certificate and passport got me Centrelink'd.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:47 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish I'd known when you go to rent a house you are one amongst many.

I wish I'd known the Real Estate people choose YOU rather than YOU choose the house
Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:59 am
Sanctuary Lakes

Hector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really nice

I wish I'd have know how fierce the sun is here. I have a sunroof (going thin at the back ) You really need to wear a hat and cover yourself with high factor sunblock (never used to in the UK). So I've had several cases of crispy head.

My wife weeded the garden during summer, she was bent over and her jumper rose and exposed a cresent shape. She burned above her backside pretty badly and you can still see the tan line

Even on bad days you can still catch the sun, be careful!

Hector
Old Aug 5th 2006, 4:10 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

i wish i hadnt got rid of all my bedding, quilts, duvets etc, i wish i had brought more stuff over with me, instead of getting rid of everything, i wish i had brought all my clothes instead of reducing them down to a third, and most of all i wish i had brought ALL my shoes over!! sorry typical female i guess!!! - still gutted about the lot though!!
apart from that absolutely loving it!!!
regards
vb2
Old Aug 5th 2006, 4:49 am
Tell it like it is'er

Scorpio1 will become famous soon enough

I wish someone had told me about all this 'selection criteria' bollocks for job applications, and that you need to pay for some kind of certificate even if you only want to empty rubbish bins (certificate III in advanced bineria ?) for a living.

And don't mention the general bastardisation of the English language through mispronounced words and vowels, and invented words like 'jackpotted' & 'spruiking'!
Old Aug 5th 2006, 5:08 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scorpio1

And don't mention the general bastardisation of the English language through mispronounced words and vowels, and invented words like 'jackpotted' & 'spruiking'!
I council say that they are now going to commingle my recycling... what was wrong with just saying they were taking the cardboard center out of the bin?... and apparently I can get a car on a Novated Lease... a what?
Old Aug 5th 2006, 5:20 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Not to use the Conyourwealth Bank Migrant transfer scheme... When I got here the local branch had never heard of it and denied all knowledge of even having a branch in the UK.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch

I wish that I had known just how slack they are with regards to getting things done in business. I had an idea, but never realised just how slack and behind the times they can all be. It makes it all very interesting

Tony

www.platinumrelocations.com.au
Old Aug 5th 2006, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

If I'd have known that poisonous snakes, spiders, bats (dripping death saliva), etc were rather over emphasized I might have come here sooner
Old Aug 5th 2006, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

To make sure you know exactly how you are going to transfer your cash across. We relied on information from our local bank branch in the UK, who when we needed the money over here could not do it. Register with Oz forex or who ever in good time to save yourself a lot of stress and possibly money.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

OzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud ofOzWannabee has much to be proud of

Wish I'd known to expand my 3 page CV to a 5-6 page Resume when I was sitting around desperately waiting for my Visa. Trying to get your head together to do it when you are running around like an idiot getting the rest of your life sorted is a nightmare.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramptonbrian
If I'd have known that poisonous snakes, spiders, bats (dripping death saliva), etc were rather over emphasized I might have come here sooner
Very accurate. Some people really need to know this.

The only thing I had to realise was that there is a winter here!
Old Aug 5th 2006, 12:17 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Tis full of foreigners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.