Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is There a Website/Book for Migrants to Know What to Say in Different Occassions?

Is There a Website/Book for Migrants to Know What to Say in Different Occassions?

Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future
Question Is There a Website/Book for Migrants to Know What to Say in Different Occassions?

Hi everybody,

English is not my mother tongue. Last week I went to a barber and realised how frustrated I might be in such situations. The barber asked me how to cut my hair and I didn't have a single clue what to tell her. (I knew what I wanted but didn't know how to say it in English! )

I am not weak in English. If someone asks me to write an essay about a complex issue like "the effects of the global financial crisis on the divorce numbers", I am fully capable to do so!! But when it comes to day to day activities like " going to barber, going to butcher , booking a flight etc... I am really feel myself limited in words and phrases I can use! This has been always annoyed me.

So I am looking for a book or website or any other source of info to strengthen this weakness of mine.

Can anyone help me to find such source?

Thanks in anticipation fellas!

Last edited by BARDI77; Jun 25th 2010 at 2:02 am.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is There a Website/Book for Migrants to Know What to Say in Different Occassions?

dictionary?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is There a Website/Book for Migrants to Know What to Say in Different Occassions?

Pictionary
Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Home and Away
Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future

I am not looking for words. I am actually looking for suitable sentences to use in various day by day situations.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point

Get English-English dictionary, you surely find phrase patterns there.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BARDI77
Hi everybody,

English is not my mother tongue. Last week I went to a barber and realised how frustrated I might be in such situations. The barber asked me how to cut my hair and I didn't have a single clue what to tell her. (I knew what I wanted but didn't know how to say it in English! )

I am not weak in English. If someone asks me to write an essay about a complex issue like "the effects of the global financial crisis on the divorce numbers", I am fully capable to do so!! But when it comes to day to day activities like " going to barber, going to butcher , booking a flight etc... I am really feel myself limited in words and phrases I can use! This has been always annoyed me.

So I am looking for a book or website or any other source of info to strengthen this weakness of mine.

There is such a huge immigrant base here in Australia that people are used to non-English speakers. Tell people in words what you want and the phrases will come with time and practice. It would be like me trying to speak Mandarin in China. I may know words but only practice will teach me how to speak in their language.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Go to the pub, sit down, sink 5 beers and have a chat with the blokes next to you. You will be well versed after for almost any situation in Australia.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 5:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody,

Go to a bookshop (Dymocks, Borders type)and get a phrase book for your language to English. Won't cover everything as a lot of them are aimed at travellers, but might give you a good start. Something like Berlitz is a good series to look for but just ask the assistant for an English-whatever phrase book
Old Jun 25th 2010, 5:42 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Beginners Australian - Words and Phrases:

----------------------------
"Mate" (in all it's wonderfully subtle forms)

"Ahhhhh yeeeeehhh"

"Nah, but yeeeehhh"

"No Worries"

"She'll Be Right"

"Good Thanks!"

"It's Great, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else"

"They should love it or leave"

"You think this is hot, you should have been here in <insert year>"
-----------------------------

They should last you for 5 years then you may have to branch out into the advanced section.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I am not looking for words. I am actually looking for suitable sentences to use in various day by day situations.
But as the old saying goes . . . "a picture paints a thousand words" . . . therefore I humbly recommend that upon your next visit to said barber, carry with you the attached photo, thereby leaving no room for potential 'awkwardness' . . . Best of luck! I'm sure you'll be fitting right in in no time at all . . .

Last edited by spartacus; Jun 25th 2010 at 5:48 am.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
But as the old saying goes . . . "a picture paints a thousand words" . . . therefore I humbly recommend that upon your next visit to said barber, carry with you the attached photo, thereby leaving no room for potential 'awkwardness' . . . Best of luck! I'm sure you'll be fitting right in in no time at all . . .

http://pyleoflist.com/wp-content/upl...12/haircut.jpg

Oh Sparty, been raiding the family albums have we?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
Hands up you got me . . . school photo . . . grade 10. In fairness, I wasn't so much fat as just short for my weight.

Last edited by spartacus; Jun 25th 2010 at 6:18 am.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus

http://pyleoflist.com/wp-content/upl...12/haircut.jpg
If it was an Australian barber and the OP couldnt communicate, theres every chance he came out looking like that kid.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 6:30 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseR
Looks a bit like Shane Warne.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.