Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

There she goes......

There she goes......

Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There she goes......

Finally after 20months of trying, my Daughter has realised her dream of going to the UK to better her prospects, and income.

Like Migrants to this country, she found her past experience, in the fashion industry, here in Aussie had not counted for much, and after crap job after crap job, and then turning to Bar work at night in one of Londons top nightspots. Her persistance has finally paid off.

She Starts in BrickLane London, at MTV as a production assistant, in a dream job for her, at a wage higher than the average wage in Aussie. All at the age of 21.

I'm a very proud dad today, I would not be suprised if she makes it to in front of the camera. She wont look back now.

The downside is, she wont be able to come for a planned holiday here in March.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Finally after 20months of trying, my Daughter has realised her dream of going to the UK to better her prospects, and income.

Like Migrants to this country, she found her past experience, in the fashion industry, here in Aussie had not counted for much, and after crap job after crap job, and then turning to Bar work at night in one of Londons top nightspots. Her persistance has finally paid off.

She Starts in BrickLane London, at MTV as a production assistant, in a dream job for her, at a wage higher than the average wage in Aussie. All at the age of 21.

I'm a very proud dad today, I would not be suprised if she makes it to in front of the camera. She wont look back now.

That's brilliant Ozzie. Many congrats to her, oh and you for producing her
Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant news for your daughter, and I'm sure she'll come for a visit as soon as she can
Old Dec 7th 2006, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Brilliant news for your daughter, and I'm sure she'll come for a visit as soon as she can

Thanks all, Well the better she does, the more we should be able to see her, Hopefully.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 6:25 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: There she goes......

Terrific news, mate - congratulations!

I sympathise with your daughter's experience. It took me two years of slogging through dull, £12k white collar jobs before I was able to get the one I wanted.

Aussie work experience counts for nothing over here and office jobs outside London tend to be poorly paid unless you're an experienced graduate with a pre-established career.

I now earn more than I did back home - but only because I am working longer hours. My hourly rate at Aussie Post was higher than the hourly rate I receive here, and the benefits (particularly the 5-week holiday allowance) were far superior.

Back home, I was able to buy my own house despite working an average of only 30 hours a week. Over here, I work 47 hours a week and cannot afford to buy a house (so it's fortunate that my wife already had one when we met!)

Sounds like your daughter is the best sort of Aussie: hard-working, with plenty of determination and grit. It's the only way to get ahead in this world.

Here's to her success.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 6:39 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Just read thru this thread -how interesting to compare experiences. Congratulations to your daughter, she certainly seems to be a hard working focussed young woman. I hope that she continues to realise her dreams.

I hope shes not still in Milton Keynes as I completely endorse Hutchs' view point

MK is a soul-sucking vacuum of a place
Old Dec 7th 2006, 6:56 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vic&jase

Milton Keynes in not so bad, developing fast and very young. It also has a great train link into London
I lived near MK and had friends who worked there. Great shopping, good nightlife, train links, nice modern, affordable housing... Lovely surrounding countryside, cycling at the Lakes. Great place to start work imo.
Can I suggest they drive to Wing and go to The Cock Inn, because the food is fabulous, the beer is great and it used to be my local and I MISS IT SO!

Last edited by iPom; Dec 7th 2006 at 7:01 am.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 7:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nickyc
I can understand that, too. But I bet you find that all the girls in Milton Keynes with some get-up-and-go have probably already got-up-and-gone .....

I bet your daughter would find more like-minded souls if she moved to London....
I agree. Has she thought about moving to Hemmel Hempstead? Much closer to London, still near to MK, (easy on the train, through to Tring then MK) and a much different lookout imo.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 7:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
I agree. Has she thought about moving to Hemmel Hempstead? Much closer to London, still near to MK, (easy on the train, through to Tring then MK) and a much different lookout imo.
I wouldn't suggest my worst enemy live in Hemel :scared: Ghastly place but then I don't like MK either Old Hemel is nice but a totally different budget required
Old Dec 7th 2006, 7:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I wouldn't suggest my worst enemy live in Hemel :scared: Ghastly place but then I don't like MK either Old Hemel is nice but a totally different budget required

I like Old Hemmel... but yes, budget is different. I was just thinking it was closer to London, but not London, and therefore affordable.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just thought I'd give an update on this very old thread. My Daughter who I thought was stuck in the UK forever is coming back after 5 years away. She is going to be very UK in her thought processes now so it's going to be interesting. Her "one way" return flight is scheduled for the 18th of August... god we are looking forwards to that... 20 when she left 25 now.

More on this subject later, but I reckon it concerns a lot of people who have kids here that decide to travel back to the land of their Fathers.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 28th 2010 at 1:45 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd give an update on this very old thread. My Daughter who I thought was stuck in the UK forever is coming back after 5 years away. She is going to be very UK in her thought processes now so it's going to be interesting. Her "one way" return flight is scheduled for the 18th of August... god we are looking forwards to that... 20 when she left 25 now.

More on this subject later, but I reckon it concerns a lot of people who have kids here that decide to travel back to the land of their Fathers.
Should be an interesting read........
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Should be an interesting read........
Indeed!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Daughter back from the UK after 5 years away. My 2nd born daughter has been back in Aus for about 3 days after 5 years in the UK, mostly London.

Hasnt worked out the way she hoped. She wanted to extend her career, but found it difficult to move up, either because she wasnt qualified enough or because of the recession. She worked here in Fashion marketing. Actually produced the catalogues for Sass and Lolita here in Aus before she left and ran most of their accounts... Liased with overseas producers as well...and that was at age 20.

Shes already been offered 2 jobs back here in Aus, which is stark contrast to the situaiton in London.... more on that later though. Got to admit it's from old employers. She did change jobs a lot there and that probably went against her and she ended up stuck in employment she didnt like.... Her best job was probably running a temp desk for an advertising employment agency.

First thing she bought here, was two boxes of Pizza shapes LOL and insisted we buy BBQ chicken with the stuffing and chips and gravy.... apparently hard to get in take away shops in the UK All fried apparently ?

Couldnt find my 5 yo "there she goes thread" which would have made a good platform for the conclusion of her life in London. Ahaaa Thanks Poll

She is going to work temp probably, so she can go to University for a marketing diploma..... She aims to go to America now... New York is her target.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:23 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter back from the UK after 5 years away.

Best of luck to her mate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.