Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is there anything we definitely cannot pack for Australia?

Is there anything we definitely cannot pack for Australia?

Old Jun 7th 2010, 1:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anything we definitely cannot pack for Australia?

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Soiled underpants ... the sniffer dogs will target you from 75 meters and they are vicious.

So, in case of turbulence (or if you are flying Qantas) pack some spare smalls and be prepared the incinerate the offending garments.
I had to fly Virgin today, cos work will only pay for cheap flights, and the landing bettered anything I have ever known with Qantas as far as the underpants go. Came in too fast, floated down the runway after a brief touchdown and somehow managed to slide to a halt at the last moment. even the non-flyer next to me said "didn't we and a bit faster than usual.....?" I am just surprised he landed. Twas far too fast, he should've gone round again.
Funniest bit though was that my non-flyer friend and I are writing a flood exercise for that very airport, and she said to me after we landed "i'm glad we got in now, in an hour this airport will be 5 feet underwater!" The guy next to us definitely needed clean underwear when he heard that!!!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I had to fly Virgin today, cos work will only pay for cheap flights, and the landing bettered anything I have ever known with Qantas as far as the underpants go. Came in too fast, floated down the runway after a brief touchdown and somehow managed to slide to a halt at the last moment. even the non-flyer next to me said "didn't we and a bit faster than usual.....?" I am just surprised he landed. Twas far too fast, he should've gone round again.
Funniest bit though was that my non-flyer friend and I are writing a flood exercise for that very airport, and she said to me after we landed "i'm glad we got in now, in an hour this airport will be 5 feet underwater!" The guy next to us definitely needed clean underwear when he heard that!!!
Well I think we all know not to pack soiled underpants now. Anything else?
Old Jun 7th 2010, 9:55 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
It's getting like 'Live at the Apollo' on here.
We special guest Neil Armstrong, let's here it for him folks ...

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Maybe the pilot needed the bog, it's hell to fly a plane with crossed legs.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by eddie007
Hamsters

you can't bring hamsters into australia so dont bother packing them.
These you can.

http://www.play.com/Toys/Toys/4-/135...t/Product.html

Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:50 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim

Maybe the pilot needed the bog, it's hell to fly a plane with crossed legs.
I know, I've done it
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:18 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by donna
A friend has a big elephant that her grandparents brought over from india over 50 years ago,it has ivory tusks and is made from coconut wood.Shes been told no chance of getting it in,want to do reckon?its a family heirloom and would be a shame to have to leave it.
I don't think you would get it in.
I had a friend visit from overseas he had his wooden leg confiscated and a set of ivory teeth.I had hadn't seen him for over 20 years but when he came hopping through the gate at the airport, I knew it was him straight away.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Useful thread now completly gone to pot.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

yes,its a shame isnt it
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:04 pm
Home and Happy

Not necessarily, the info is still there, its just the way of forums that conversations wander. What other items would you like to ask about? The ivory teeth would almost certainly have been confiscated - the wooden leg would depend on what wood and where it was from, was it treated etc.

I got pulled over for the explosives check again flying Cairns to Brisbane this week - while travelling with a colleague whose husband handles bullets and guns at work, she said she was so glad it was me not her

Must be time we had another thread about rocking horses with real horse hair too, haven't had one of them for a while - and before you ask, the answer is that you have to remove the horsehair and then there are companies here that will restore the horse once you get here
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough

What about candles and woven baskets like these:
Attached Thumbnails Is there anything we definitely cannot pack for Australia?-img_0472.jpg  
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sushimania
What about candles and woven baskets like these:
We packed up last week and were advised to leave woven baskets behind.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:06 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
We packed up last week and were advised to leave woven baskets behind.
Mmm, think I'd agree. Ordinary candles are fine, woven baskets coud be trickier.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Hi donna, who is she paying the $300 to?

Is this for the treatment of the wood or import duty?

We have the same but with no tusks.
Elephant arrived today by post,a description put on the front of the parcel,it was checked by customs and passed with no fees payable.Good result for her.
donna
Goodluck with urs
Old Jul 14th 2010, 5:52 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

yes,its a shame isnt it
I remember the days when BE was a tightly run ship ... it was as on-topic as a dictionary ... now look at it <shakes head>.

Why can't people just stay focussed on the subject at hand? I blame mobile phones, all those waves.

And TV. Which is pants in Oz.

Let's hope this thread pulls itself together and we can have post after post of relevant information for people that should not have to waste their time skipping random dross posted by bored people at work.

Come ON people!
Old Jul 14th 2010, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Elephant arrived today by post,a description put on the front of the parcel,it was checked by customs and passed with no fees payable.Good result for her.
donna
Goodluck with urs
Thanks for info, we have sent some items by surface and some will go this week by airmail so will so how that goes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.