Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is there anything we definitely cannot pack for Australia?

Is there anything we definitely cannot pack for Australia?

Old May 30th 2010, 2:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anything we definitely cannot pack for Australia?

Originally Posted by donna
A friend has a big elephant that her grandparents brought over from india over 50 years ago,it has ivory tusks and is made from coconut wood.Shes been told no chance of getting it in,want to do reckon?its a family heirloom and would be a shame to have to leave it.
I'd agree, I wouldn't think there's any chance of getting it in. Ivory, coconut wood form India - so it wouldnt have been treated.......... She could try but there's a good chance they would charge her to have it destroyed.
Old May 30th 2010, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

I guess she's have to leave it with family or close friends. I had to leave a bunch of stuff behind that I knew AQIS would have a fit over...the kids' homemade Christmas tree decorations (pinecones), my wedding bouquet (framed and preserved under plexiglass), various Native American items...to me, I'd rather that my relatives keep it safe, even if it means I don't see it (except holidays back) than have AQIS destroy it.
Old May 30th 2010, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Japonica
I guess she's have to leave it with family or close friends. I had to leave a bunch of stuff behind that I knew AQIS would have a fit over...the kids' homemade Christmas tree decorations (pinecones), my wedding bouquet (framed and preserved under plexiglass), various Native American items...to me, I'd rather that my relatives keep it safe, even if it means I don't see it (except holidays back) than have AQIS destroy it.
This whole tread is depressing, do the AQIS employ anyone with a I.Q.?

If they are there to protect Australia it should not be pot luck what gets in.

There should be a difference between real and fake items.

As for shoes, well do we walk through disinfectant at the airport? Why are the travelling shoes you wear any less of a risk than the shoes in a container.

No wonder Australian houses look so bare, very little personal items pass the test, it looks like we will have to leave: feathered headdress from Canada, rocks from the valley of kings, wooden elephant from India, washed up coral from Mexico, wooden animals from Kenya, dried grass animals from Malaysia, frames of pictures from Australia cannot be reimported (nice that they let us take them out).

Rant over.
Old May 30th 2010, 10:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
This whole tread is depressing, do the AQIS employ anyone with a I.Q.?

If they are there to protect Australia it should not be pot luck what gets in.

There should be a difference between real and fake items.

As for shoes, well do we walk through disinfectant at the airport? Why are the travelling shoes you wear any less of a risk than the shoes in a container.

No wonder Australian houses look so bare, very little personal items pass the test, it looks like we will have to leave: feathered headdress from Canada, rocks from the valley of kings, wooden elephant from India, washed up coral from Mexico, wooden animals from Kenya, dried grass animals from Malaysia, frames of pictures from Australia cannot be reimported (nice that they let us take them out).

Rant over.
They do sometimes disinfect the footwear on your feet - the landing card asks if you have been on a farm etc, and when there is a foot and mouth outbreak they disinfect all footwear coming in from the UK, including what you're wearing - the queue then is horrible

I guess they don't have the manpower to open all boxes, in their defence, but I have to admi that I do think telling the difference between plasti and real seeds/flowers etc should be fairly obvious - and if they ever work out how to do it I shall be asking for the $60 back that it cost to destroy my hat with plastic seeds on
Old May 30th 2010, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Our things arrive from Canada on Wednesday. I was told to leave behind my wicker baskets.

Movers packed the artificial flowers I had. I also had a real maple leaf that was framed in a wooden frame...the lady who made it said I wouldn't be able to bring it into OZ. I haven't heard anything about it or about anything else we've brought over ie. bike, tent, golf clubs, gardening tools.
Old May 30th 2010, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=paularn;8599311]Our things arrive from Canada on Wednesday. I was told to leave behind my wicker baskets. QUOTE]

Were you advised to leave behind the wicker baskets? We were told by the shippers that we could take wicker and seagrass (as long as it is declared) but not cane. Anybody been told different?
Old May 30th 2010, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Sunshine7;8599495]
Originally Posted by paularn
Our things arrive from Canada on Wednesday. I was told to leave behind my wicker baskets. QUOTE]

Were you advised to leave behind the wicker baskets? We were told by the shippers that we could take wicker and seagrass (as long as it is declared) but not cane. Anybody been told different?
Yeah our removalist told me to leave the wicker baskets, not to bring them, so I didn't. Wish I had brought them and taken the chance.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

thx for the responses,panic over,shes allowed to bring it in,cost $300 approx,even allowed the tusks as long as no blood or skin on they!
Lets see if it does actually happen,will keep u posted
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hamsters

you can't bring hamsters into australia so dont bother packing them.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by donna
thx for the responses,panic over,shes allowed to bring it in,cost $300 approx,even allowed the tusks as long as no blood or skin on they!
Lets see if it does actually happen,will keep u posted
Hi donna, who is she paying the $300 to?

Is this for the treatment of the wood or import duty?

We have the same but with no tusks.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eddie007
Hamsters

you can't bring hamsters into australia so dont bother packing them.
lol.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Sunshine7;8599495]
Originally Posted by paularn
Our things arrive from Canada on Wednesday. I was told to leave behind my wicker baskets. QUOTE]

Question: HOW DO YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WICKER AND CANE?

Answer: Generally speaking, there is no such material as “wicker”. Instead, the word refers to the act of weaving chair seats and furniture, or it’s the final end-result product, such as a woven chair, couch, buggy or basket. So, wicker refers to the act of weaving or it is the final woven article made using a variety of materials and is not a material itself.

The most popular materials used in construction of antique wicker furniture were rattan reed and paper fibre rush. Cane is the outer skin or bark of the rattan palm which has been processed into strips and is most often used in weaving seats and backs of wood frame furniture or wrapping joints in whole pole-rattan wicker furniture.

Read more: http://www.wickerwoman.com/wicker-faq#ixzz0q8qFPIHT
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:33 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Soiled underpants ... the sniffer dogs will target you from 75 meters and they are vicious.

So, in case of turbulence (or if you are flying Qantas) pack some spare smalls and be prepared the incinerate the offending garments.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
Hi donna, who is she paying the $300 to?

Is this for the treatment of the wood or import duty?

We have the same but with no tusks.
not sure shes waiting 4 paperwork to come through ,then i will let you know
Old Jun 7th 2010, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Soiled underpants ... the sniffer dogs will target you from 75 meters and they are vicious.

So, in case of turbulence (or if you are flying Qantas) pack some spare smalls and be prepared the incinerate the offending garments.
It's getting like 'Live at the Apollo' on here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.