Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is there anything we definitely cannot pack for Australia?

Is there anything we definitely cannot pack for Australia?

Old May 7th 2010, 12:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anything we definitely cannot pack for Australia?

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Made me think about when the lady at check-in asked me if i had packed my own bag,i should have said 'tut tut dont be silly,im going business class,i have someone to pack my bags for me,now hurry on dear i have important business to attend to'
So you didn't mention the stuff I put in YOUR bag, and more than I mentioned the fact that 80% of MY luggage 3 weeks later was actually yours ??
Old May 7th 2010, 12:32 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So you didn't mention the stuff I put in YOUR bag, and more than I mentioned the fact that 80% of MY luggage 3 weeks later was actually yours ??
Ssssch there are people on BE who would happily turn you in
Old May 7th 2010, 12:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Ssssch there are people on BE who would happily turn you in
EVen with the new policy of making people walk the plank instead of a mere ban?
Old May 7th 2010, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough

We have 4-5 pieces of genuine Chinese antique furniture. Upon close inspection, you would be able to see old untreated wood underneath (with bits on it - not sure what they are ). Would custom give us any problem?
Old May 7th 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

You can't bring animal products - bones, fur, feathers, etc.
Old May 7th 2010, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Even with a smell of Jeyes they still have to unpack the container and then decide what to look at. After so many years reading threads like this I now accept its pot luck.
No kidding. I still think it's odd they didn't open the box marked "shoes" but searched all the photos. Strange.
Old May 7th 2010, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
You can't bring animal products - bones, fur, feathers, etc.
Actually you can, if it's done properly. I brought feathers, but they have to be absolutely clean without a speck of skin on them and if they belong to a species covered by CITES, well, you need all your permits (took me about 4 months alone to organize the import and export permits).
Old May 7th 2010, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Actually you can, if it's done properly. I brought feathers, but they have to be absolutely clean without a speck of skin on them and if they belong to a species covered by CITES, well, you need all your permits (took me about 4 months alone to organize the import and export permits).
This is why I left my porcupine quills at home
Old May 8th 2010, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
This is why I left my porcupine quills at home
I actually brought moose-hair tufted earrings and fish scale ones...I bought them in the Yukon years ago and wasn't leaving them behind. Both made it through fine.
Old May 8th 2010, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Tough luck babe, it was in the container, years ago before you even knew me!! Mind you the air was blue when the importers told me it would cost $60 to destroy a hat with plastic berries on it :curse: Don't think the neighbours ever recovered!
A friends recently had their shipment arrive, Customs advised there was a single shoe that needed cleaning (cheaper to clean that to destroy).

The rest of the shipment has now been unpacked and there is no sign of a shoe without its mate or a missing pair. To top it all the cleaners have lost the shoe they cleaned so she has no idea what it was (but has still had to pay her $60!)
Old May 8th 2010, 1:18 am
Diane T

diitbrown will become famous soon enoughdiitbrown will become famous soon enough

We had the contents of our house shipped over to Perth, including our gorgeous massive Christmas tree with FAKE cones on it!! AQIS called us to say that the tree had these cones on it. After me explaining that they where FAKE, they stated that they where still not allowed to clear them. So, I told them to take them off and destroy them.

The container arrived a few weeks later. All was well until a few months later before Christmas I searched the house top to bottom for my tree (which was in a large box with the lights and decorations. I thought my OH had put it in the shed with all the other stuff.

I phoned AQIS and they said that they had destroyed the whole box...apparently because they don't have the time to be specific!

I was gutted and it ruined my first Christmas here which is bad enough with your family over in the UK!

Di X
Old May 8th 2010, 1:48 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Weirdly AQIS can't differentiate between fake and real flowers so don't bother packing them. Untreated wood is a no no as are any opened packets of food, spices etc. Marmite is available everywhere.

Full list here but remember that whilst some packaged foods are ok you MUST declare them.
English Marmite? Where? I haven't seen it. Just the Australian Marmite which tastes like total shite!
Old May 8th 2010, 1:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
English Marmite? Where? I haven't seen it. Just the Australian Marmite which tastes like total shite!
Don't know, I don't eat it, I'm a Vegemite person but I thought My Mate was the same and you get it in the British shops so it's available surely?
Old May 8th 2010, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
It's called Our Mate and can be found in some Coles and most of the British food stores. Only reason they call it Our Mate is because Sanitarium who makes Marmite in Oz threatened the importers with a law suit if they imported it under the Marmite name. It's expensive though.
Old May 30th 2010, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

A friend has a big elephant that her grandparents brought over from india over 50 years ago,it has ivory tusks and is made from coconut wood.Shes been told no chance of getting it in,want to do reckon?its a family heirloom and would be a shame to have to leave it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.