Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is there anyone happy in Perth?

Is there anyone happy in Perth?

Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anyone happy in Perth?

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Exile you echo many of my thoughts (Jesus I'm a parasite today - agreeing with everyone).

This is exactly how I feel - I really like Perth but I don't like it enough to keep on paying inflated grocery prices, inflated housing prices and private school fees because I don't have faith in the public sector.

If things don't change - and I have no reason to think they will - I suspect we will leave also. (But we won't go back to the UK)
Absolutely. We may end up back in Japan. Never had homesickness there, which may also tell me something.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
Why should Perth have to be cheap!!

Being mortgage free would be nice for a lot people but its not possible, just like there are very few people who can claim to be mortgage free in the UK. Being happy is about lifestyle, friends and so much more than the property prices.
Sorry, I forgot to add some kind of tongue-in-cheek smiley thing.
Perth has no duty to be anything for anyone.

Historically, though, cheapness was always one of the big attractions of Perth. It's only expensive because of the mining boom.

For many people, it's having the small mortgage and reasonable cost of living that enables them to get out of the rat race and achieve the kind of lifestyle they desire and to spend more time with family and friends (assuming they're not all 12,000 miles away).
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:03 am
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JoandStuV
We adore Perth and love living here, been 7 months now (4 settled in Perth, 3 travelling). We have made some great friends and I have honestly never been happier, I can't imagine ever wanting to go back to the UK.

I do feel for people that don't settle though, it must be awful to spend all that money coming over here and then be desperate to go back.
Hi there,

We were out on a reccie at Christmas time and had a ball. My hubby works offshore and probably will have to out there until something comes up onshore. We have good friends out there, I just worry about making new friends for myself? We have two kids 6 and 3 I'm sure I'll meet new friends through school. I think it worries me about the familiarity in my life that it will be taken away?

Any info would be greatful
We are hoping to settle in Secret Harbour
Carol Ritchie
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clanwylie
Is there anyone happy in Perth? We have been here almost 9 months( wasnt sure at first but it is growing on me now)...still renting(will be for a long time i think ...no deposit) But i have a roof over my head! OH work goes ok (we live week to week) But all i seem to read here is that people are really unhappy which is a real shame! I must admit i moaned all the time but i find myself doing it less which is quite refreshing for my OH
So again my question....Is there anyone happy? It might brighten someones day by reading a positive post for a change!!
The happy ones have never even heard of this forum and there are thousands of them all over the city.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I wouldn't come here NOW though. Way too expensive. Sure you can just about get a house for under $400,000 in Butler or Ellenbrook, but look what the same money will get you in QLD.

Despite the fact I love it here, I'd definitelty be going to QLD is I were moving to Aus now.

Says it all.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Apr 26th 2007 at 10:19 am.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:23 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
I came with zero equity but a fair bit of cash and bought my first house in Perth.

One of the reasons we came to Perth three years ago instead of going back to Dorset (after five years in Japan) was that I couldn't have bought much of a house in Dorset, where I come from. Now I could sell up here and buy a pretty nice, detached house in a decent area of Dorset, Devon, or Hampshire with very little mortgage. That's not the way it's supposed to be! Perth is failing miserably in its duty to be cheap.

And it's not just property. We were working it out the other day, and life was cheaper in Tokyo, believe it or not (lower taxes is a big factor, and we'd be living on a 200 sq metre block, but that would feel big in Japan).

It makes me question my reasons for being here. There are many things I like about the place, but I'm not sure if they will be enough to keep us here long term.
Like I said, with UK equity it is a whole different ball game. Without it we would be living even further from the city, driving beat up old cars and going out would mean fish and chips or chinese takeaway. I do realise we are lucky to have made 50% on one house in 3 years and 100% on a second house in 4 years. That has resulted in the good life for us, and many like us. Not gloating, just raising a glass to fate that delivered that to us.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:31 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Historically, though, cheapness was always one of the big attractions of Perth. It's only expensive because of the mining boom.
It will be interesting to see what happens when the boom ends. In the late 1980's the UK property market crashed when recession hit but the expected crash a few years ago just resulted in a plateau for a couple of years, and I hear prices are rising again now.

There is a logic that with the end of a boom investors and employees will leave WA resulting in more houses than needed and hence prices to fall due to competition. But all those who are buying at today's prices won't be able to sell if prices fall much so will stay put counter-acting the over-supply. Its like exchange rates, stock markets etc. One big gamble. Personally I don't intend ever leaving WA so I have "crystalised my gains".

The other question is when the boom will end - there is no sign of China slowing down (iron ore prices predicted to rise 10% again this year) and the mining giants reckon they need to almost double production to keep market share.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:33 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by renth
I wouldn't come here NOW though. Way too expensive. Sure you can just about get a house for under $400,000 in Butler or Ellenbrook, but look what the same money will get you in QLD.

Despite the fact I love it here, I'd definitelty be going to QLD is I were moving to Aus now.
...but despite all the above and how much I love Perth I would probably be in Brisvegas now if prices 2 years ago are as they are then for that reason. But I don't think I would be anywhere near as happy. Money isn't everything - I have lost count of the number of people I have met / heard of moving to Perth from Adelaide.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
...but despite all the above and how much I love Perth I would probably be in Brisvegas now if prices 2 years ago are as they are then for that reason. But I don't think I would be anywhere near as happy. Money isn't everything - I have lost count of the number of people I have met / heard of moving to Perth from Adelaide.
For so long the British could move to Australia and wipe out their mortgages, that now they feel a little hard done by. The thing is it's the same all over the English-speaking world. Prices in Western Canada are pretty much the same as in Australia, and many US states are even higher. NZ hasthe same problem and here in Blighty you can easily pay at least AUS $500,000 for a mid-terrace with a 10 square-metre garden, no view and no garage.

Your Australian house prices might be as high as British ones - or higher in some cases - but at least you get more for your money. That $500,000, even in WA, will buy you a detached property at least. So it might have got harder recently, but it's still a good deal. The ones you've got to feel sorry for are those returning because they're the ones selling up their detached bungalow with big garden and double car port to buy a 2 bed place like this for $450,000:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai..._n=17&tr_t=buy

Last edited by Tableland; Apr 26th 2007 at 12:00 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest Steve, how do you think you'd feel about Perth if you were just arriving with roughly the same money you had when you landed and had to pay the current market value for your house? I'm sure a lot of your lifestyle things apply to City Beach and that area, but I think it can be very different in the outer suburbs.

I'm not speaking out of bitterness, as I've been here over three years and benefited from property too, but a lot has changed in five years. It really is expensive these days, even if you earn shed loads.
I suppose this is true but the fundamentals of property here are no different from Sydney or London.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clanwylie
Is there anyone happy in Perth? We have been here almost 9 months( wasnt sure at first but it is growing on me now)...still renting(will be for a long time i think ...no deposit) But i have a roof over my head! OH work goes ok (we live week to week) But all i seem to read here is that people are really unhappy which is a real shame! I must admit i moaned all the time but i find myself doing it less which is quite refreshing for my OH
So again my question....Is there anyone happy? It might brighten someones day by reading a positive post for a change!!
Perth has been my base now for close to 30 yrs.Landed here with a suitcase half full of jeans and t-shirts and knew nothing about the place.

Really missed life in germany for the first few years,Perth seemed centuries behind Hamburg,Munich etc.Been through the work booms and busts,property booms and busts.

Moved to various other cities in OZ and europe to keep in work,but always returned to Perth.

Now as me and the cook come closer to giving up work for good it has been ups and downs in Perth but overall we have been happy here.

Financially it has been good most of the time,sailed very close to bankruptcy in the early 90,s with asset price crashes and high interest rates,struggle to find work in the high unemployment that seemed to be there for years.

Kids work in various parts of the world,one in the UK and one in Thailand.

All in all very happy and emigrating turned out to be a great move.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

geordie downunder

your life turned out pretty well Here's to the rest of it and may you have a happy retirement (when that times comes) I hope we will have the same story at that stage of our lives.

Lynn xx
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the4ofus
geordie downunder

your life turned out pretty well Here's to the rest of it and may you have a happy retirement (when that times comes) I hope we will have the same story at that stage of our lives.

Lynn xx
Thanks

Retirement will be good,got a V8 motor lined up for the zimmer frame,the cook has heavy duty ear plugs lined up for when I drag her around the blues bars in Thailand,my next door neighbour in Thailand is a german.

Six months in Thailand and six months in Perth,everybody from geordieland comes to visit now their kids are all adults,take advantage of the hospitality,not that I mind ,and the cook is in her element having somebody else to look after.

I don't think it could have turned out better.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Been here almost 3 years love it but unfortunatley cannot get on housing market so are looking into relocating to Hobart in near future.

Paying $350 week for rent so finding it difficult to save for deposit to buy.

Hobart rent prices are so much lower so we are hoping this will give us a chance to save more money providing we get similar paying jobs and Hobart does not have a housing boom before we get on the market.

Its a big risk but we are prepared to give it a go.

Came here to Perth with approx $11.000 and suitcase of clothes each.

Hubby started his own business painting and decorating ( one man band ) but makes a good enough wage.

I have just resigned from a perm job in aged care facility been there since we arrived and now work for an agency for much higher money as nursing assistant.

Although we have a fairly good income it would still take a few years to save deposit for house once we have paid rent.

Fingers crossed one day we will return to Perth when we are in a position to buy a property.

Mags
Old Apr 26th 2007, 2:10 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Been here just over 2 years and we love it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.