Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Their money is not going to go very far ....

Their money is not going to go very far ....

Old Sep 8th 2008, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future
Default Their money is not going to go very far ....

My parents are planning to follow my sister and I to Australia in a few years. I have been in Sydney for a year and my sister will be in Brisbane. My parents are currently living in South Africa so obviously won't be able to bring much over because of the exchange rate, although they have a really nice home there that they will be selling. I think they are in for a bit of a shock when they visit next month when they find out that they are probably only going to be able to afford a 1 bedroom flat. I have had a look around at prices near where I am living (Hornsby area on the upper north shore) and they will need about
$200 -300 000 to buy a flat. Are there any other areas that you could advise looking where they will get more for their money? Or would it be best that they look at Retirement villages as they will be in their 70's. I have had a look at Uniting Care and they Anglican villages - is there anyone with any info on the costs and what is involved in buying/renting a unit in a retirement village.
Thanks for any advice.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 12:16 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Their money is not going to go very far ....

My cousin works for a retirement village just south of Brisbane (in case your parents decide to move near your sister).
If it helps, I could email her and find out some prices.
The web address is www.palmlakeresort.com.au if you wanted to take a looksy.

Julie. x
Old Sep 9th 2008, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Pisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant futurePisces has a brilliant future
Default Re: Their money is not going to go very far ....

Thanks Julie