Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

texts from uk to oz

texts from uk to oz

Old Mar 5th 2004, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of
Default texts from uk to oz

I travel home tomorrow, my dad still has my old mobile phone and i would like to use it to text my hubby and oldest son while im away,
what numbers do i put infront of their mobile numbers?

Hope this makes sense, feeling very sad as mum definately has cancer, operation tomorrow which she has been told she may not survive, fingers crossed she will. The 3 strokes shes had have made her very frail. also worried about being away for 5 weeks but i have some really good friends here that will keep an eye on hubby and son.

yve
Old Mar 5th 2004, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

cant help you with the phone bit, but my thoughts and good wishes are with you all the way.
love
sandra
Old Mar 5th 2004, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: texts from uk to oz

Originally posted by abergas
I travel home tomorrow, my dad still has my old mobile phone and i would like to use it to text my hubby and oldest son while im away,
what numbers do i put infront of their mobile numbers?

Hope this makes sense, feeling very sad as mum definately has cancer, operation tomorrow which she has been told she may not survive, fingers crossed she will. The 3 strokes shes had have made her very frail. also worried about being away for 5 weeks but i have some really good friends here that will keep an eye on hubby and son.

yve

Don`t know the answer to this one but have a safe trip home. When you have got yourself settled give us a ring and i will come and visit.

Thinking of you

Tracie xx
Old Mar 5th 2004, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Default Re: texts from uk to oz

yve, its 0061 and knock off the first zero.
kar xx
Old Mar 5th 2004, 11:43 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

According to my friend whos txting me here a lot, she just put 44 in front of the mobile no. and knocked off the first 0. Hope that works for you, wishing you a safe trip and hoping things arent as bad as you're expecting.
Michaela
Old Mar 5th 2004, 11:44 am
DarrenD

Not sure where your phone is.

To call, if a UK phone, call 00 44 xxx (e.g. if phone no is 07911 123456, dial 00 44 7911 123456), even if youve taken that phone out to Oz.

If its an Oz phone dial 00 61 7911 123456, even if its in the UK.

Your phone co should be able to help with this if you need more details on costs, receiving charges etc (the mobile may be charged for receiving intl calls).

Old Mar 5th 2004, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

We text our friends and only have to put their actual mobile number, although in past had to do 0061 then drop zero and rest of mobile number, either one will work so you can keep in touch.

Thinking of you all and hope everything turns out ok

Teresa
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

An alternative is to get them to txt you first then just press reply, thats worked for me so far!
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Have a safe trip and I'll keep my fingers crossed for your mum.

Kar is right about the numbers to dial, I phone my friend in Oz on his mobile and it's 0061 knocking off the 1st 0.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

thanks everyone for best wishes and numbers
be back in 5 weeks hopefully with good news

yve
Old Mar 5th 2004, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Aw bless yvonne im sat here with a limp in my throat and tears welling , its so sad and so unfair. Good luck with the trip home tomorrow land our best wishes and good luck to your mum and and dad and family
joanne xxx
Old Mar 5th 2004, 5:37 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

For texting or using mobiles you don't use 0061 you need the + sign
so you enter +61 then drop the first zero and add the rest of the number. dialling 0061 won't work unless you are using a landline
Old Mar 6th 2004, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your mum Yve. Using a mobile you need to use the + sign, so +61 then the number without the first zero. My UK friend did try texting me ages ago and it worked ok.

My nan has to go in for an op on the 17th to remove a tumour in her mouth, the doctor wanted to leave it be because a general is risky at her age (89), and she's quite frail now, so I'm not going to be able to think straight that day worrying about her. My husband will be in the UK on a business trip about a week later so he will visit her for me, but it's not the same, I wish I could afford a ticket back.

Last edited by Jacqui; Mar 6th 2004 at 10:44 am.