Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TESCO coming to Joondalup

View Poll Results: Do you want Tescos in Australia?
Yes yes yes.
67.11%
No way
13.60%
Couldn`t care
17.11%
As long as it sells cheap jeans
2.19%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

TESCO coming to Joondalup

Old Apr 11th 2006, 8:38 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TESCO coming to Joondalup

Originally Posted by fraser
We buy meat and veg for half the price that we pay in coles if it was a matter of only saving a couple of dollars we'd shop in Coles.

Just been there to get a loaf of bread the cheapest one they had $1.98 we pay 99cents At other places.

Chicken fillets around $13 a kilo in Coles we pay $5.99.

Potatoes $3 a kilo, the most we pay is $2.99 for 5 kilos but we paid 99 cents this week.
But the thing is mate....how much do you pay for bananas???...
Old Apr 11th 2006, 8:39 am
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

You lot make me laugh, how the hell can Tesco coming here be a bad thing.

The supermarkets here are more expensive than those in the UK, and Tesco coming here would surely force them to lower their prices.

As for not wanting to live in a little Britain, how many of the Australian stores are actually Australian?

Safeway and Woolworth aren't Australian.

Target and K-Mart are American as are most things here
Have to agree here. In Ireland groceries have always been expensive. 3 or 4 big chains had the prices wrapped up to within a couple of cents.
Low and behold we get our first tesco a couple of years ago. Now the price war is well underway. saving a fortune thanks to tesco. Quality wise i see no difference on MOST things. But they have certainly put the frighteners up the other chains.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Tumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really nice

Originally Posted by tucs
Have to agree here. In Ireland groceries have always been expensive. 3 or 4 big chains had the prices wrapped up to within a couple of cents.
Low and behold we get our first tesco a couple of years ago. Now the price war is well underway. saving a fortune thanks to tesco. Quality wise i see no difference on MOST things. But they have certainly put the frighteners up the other chains.
price wars are all well and good but it is usually the poor old farmers who end up suffering due to the supermarkets squeezing every last bit of profit.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 8:48 am
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
price wars are all well and good but it is usually the poor old farmers who end up suffering due to the supermarkets squeezing every last bit of profit.
This is the way the world is these days.
Poor old farmer? No poor farmers here
Old Apr 11th 2006, 9:01 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
So why are you arguing the toss about Tesco's possibly coming over if you are finding stuff so cheap anyway
Because I'd like the option to do my shopping at one location and be able to afford it, oh and I don't like being ripped off.

Because you hate them they shouldn't come here! If they do don't shop there easy
Old Apr 11th 2006, 9:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Because I'd like the option to do my shopping at one location and be able to afford it, oh and I don't like being ripped off.

Because you hate them they shouldn't come here! If they do don't shop there easy
I won't but the op was a poll which I responded to.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 9:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly the reason that I would like to see Sainsburys/Tescps or similar here. I don't have the luxury of the time to ship in lots of small shops; I like to shop fast and shop all in one place - fruit/veg/meat/beer/the lot.

Please Mr tesco, can you move to Brisbane as well as Perth
Old Apr 11th 2006, 9:15 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: TESCO coming to Joondalup

I agree that we're being ripped off by the supermarkets (to a certain extent) but I honestly don't understand why people believe that they can't get everything they need under one roof.

I always found that Coles and Woolies had everything I needed for my weekly grocery/household shopping. And with other shops conveniently located just 5 minutes' walk away in the same shopping mall, it was no trouble to find and purchase anything else I might need.

I really miss Aussie shopping malls now that I'm in the UK. If Merry Hill wasn't too far away for regular use, I'd shop there all the time.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 9:32 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Not really any different to the service here to be honest, the only place that's better here in comparison is Bunnings to B&Q.

What a load of shit, yep I'm homesick because I don't want to pay the extortionate prices which Coles/Safeway charge and have to go to several different places to get our weekly shop which is cheaper then the UK.

It would just be nice to walk into a supermarket and not have to bend over and take it

Let's just keep anything out that would improve the country just because everything that is British is bad
Of course you are going on the assumption that Tescos sell everything at a cheap price. The reality is that items such as fruit and veg are expensive here in the UK. Try going to a French supermarket and doing a cost for cost comparison. That's when the reality of just how much Tesco rips us off by materialises. The quality of the fruit and veg also verges on appalling and I'd rather pay more for better quality than pay less for shite. One positive I have heard about fruit and veg sold in Australia is that it tastes fresh. One major criticism of the veg sold by Tescos is that it is tasteless. Now that's not to say that the situation will be identical in Australia but with only past reputation to draw from, we are all only basing all of our arguments and counter-arguments for Tescos setting up down-under on supposition.

Of course, this is all highly subjective and preference on choice, quality and price of food is really a case of "horses for courses".

To be honest, my original opinion was only ever expressed as my opinion and my opinion alone. I wasn't proposing a doctrine for the Australian supermarket business model.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 9:38 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Of course you are going on the assumption that Tescos sell everything at a cheap price. The reality is that items such as fruit and veg are expensive here in the UK. Try going to a French supermarket and doing a cost for cost comparison. That's when the reality of just how much Tesco rips us off by materialises. The quality of the fruit and veg also verges on appalling and I'd rather pay more for better quality than pay less for shite. One positive I have heard about fruit and veg sold in Australia is that it tastes fresh. One major criticism of the veg sold by Tescos is that it is tasteless. Now that's not to say that the situation will be identical in Australia but with only past reputation to draw from, we are all only basing all of our arguments and counter-arguments for Tescos setting up down-under on supposition.

Of course, this is all highly subjective and preference on choice, quality and price of food is really a case of "horses for courses".

To be honest, my original opinion was only ever expressed as my opinion and my opinion alone. I wasn't proposing a doctrine for the Australian supermarket business model.
I think you'll find that groceries here are much more expensive than the UK if you shop in supermarkets.

Not all the fruit tastes great here either, we often bought fantastic looking fruit from Coles that was tastless.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 9:54 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find that groceries here are much more expensive than the UK if you shop in supermarkets.

Not all the fruit tastes great here either, we often bought fantastic looking fruit from Coles that was tastless.
Ooops...Actually, after closer inspection (comparing "loose broccoli" for "loose broccoli") it looks as if you are right.

In that case, I'm going to order all of our veg from Tescos online when we get to Brisbane.
Attached Thumbnails TESCO coming to Joondalup-exchange_rate.jpg   TESCO coming to Joondalup-brocolli_coles.jpg   TESCO coming to Joondalup-brocolli_tescos.jpg  

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; Apr 11th 2006 at 10:08 am.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 10:07 am

You sure about that?
Positive!!

I can't read what you put up, but I know for a fact that the cost of groceries considering that the wages are lower here are expensive.

Have you ever lived here?

If not you're not exactly in a position to judge.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 10:12 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Positive!!

I can't read what you put up, but I know for a fact that the cost of groceries considering that the wages are lower here are expensive.

Have you ever lived here?

If not you're not exactly in a position to judge.
I've actually confirmed your beliefs and I edited my original post whilst you were drafting your response. I'm not one to argue just for the sake of it and I do agree with you now (based upon my findings).

We haven't lived in Australia but we sure as shit did a lot of shopping at the Coles on our block and this gives us an "insight" into a microcosm of Australian grocery shopping, so I can at least add to the debate to a lesser degree.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 10:29 am

I've actually confirmed your beliefs and I edited my original post whilst you were drafting your response. I'm not one to argue just for the sake of it and I do agree with you now (based upon my findings).

We haven't lived in Australia but we sure as shit did a lot of shopping at the Coles on our block and this gives us an "insight" into a microcosm of Australian grocery shopping, so I can at least add to the debate to a lesser degree.
Fair enough
We did loads when here before, just not the same when you're earning here or not as in my case.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 10:48 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Fascinating how the perceived "class" of supermarkets taints the realities!

Tesco's original "Pile it high, sell it cheap" ethos still lingers in many peoples' memories, but the reality is that Tesco has grabbed the market share it has by being much much better than Waitrose, Sainsbury and the rest.

If they were allowed to compete on a level playing field here in Oz they would wipe out the competition.

And there again, there is Costco from the US, where the CEO pays himself twelve times the pay of the lowest worker, eats in the staff canteen and has the highest staff loyalty rating in the country.

Bring on the competition, I say!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.