Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TESCO coming to Joondalup

View Poll Results: Do you want Tescos in Australia?
Yes yes yes.
67.11%
No way
13.60%
Couldn`t care
17.11%
As long as it sells cheap jeans
2.19%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

TESCO coming to Joondalup

Old Apr 11th 2006, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TESCO coming to Joondalup

Originally Posted by nickyc
Aldi have been in Australia for a few years now. They were supposed to revolutionise Australian supermarkets too (they didn't). Are their stores here copies of German Aldi stores complete with German products on the shelves? Of course not - their products are exactly the same as you'd find in any other Australian supermarket, aimed at the Australian shopper.

Aldi's technology specials.... computers etc are unbelievably good bargans... you dont get that in Coles or Safeway.

I've actually taken to shopping at Aldi recently, They are a damn site cheaper, I really hate the way they chuck the products down the chute at the check out. However I estimate that they are at least 20 pct cheaper overall so it's probably worth it.

Of course I realise that we are Not going to get a Kingston Mk Tescos clone here.... But I bet we can get Stilton in them.

BTW I dont think they are coming.... Surely they would have to open 6 stores at once to make the venture viable.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't understand what are you talking about. The brave new world is what you want it to be - one of the reasons for moving to Oz was that I thought the Tesco "strangle the high street" culture was a bad thing for society

In the brave new world of a society which revolves around consumer activity, as many jobs need to be created as possibel to increase the consumer base of the economy.

My local butcher must be well patronised as there are always half a dozen people serving. My local coles has rows of prepacked meat, maybe refilled every now and again by a single teenage shelf stacker.

Tell me what is better for the economy - the creation of six jobs or the creation of a part time shelf stacking job and a part time check out chick
Old Apr 11th 2006, 5:39 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Well i have just been to coles, got what i need for the next few days, including meat, fish, fruit, veg, toiletries and household products, nappies, all my general food things, dog food, a magazine, a birthday card for my nephew, a home brew thing for the other half as he's taken to brewing his own, even got a couple of easter eggs for the kids. i wasn't even out of the house for an hour.

Maybe i'm easily satidfied but it works for me

Lynn
Old Apr 11th 2006, 6:15 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Well i have just been to coles, got what i need for the next few days, including meat, fish, fruit, veg, toiletries and household products, nappies, all my general food things, dog food, a magazine, a birthday card for my nephew, a home brew thing for the other half as he's taken to brewing his own, even got a couple of easter eggs for the kids. i wasn't even out of the house for an hour.

Maybe i'm easily satidfied but it works for me

Lynn

You forgot to add that you paid 40% more for the pleasure.

Who said they expected it to be the same as the UK, not me.

Competition is always a good thing for the consumer, far too many monopolys here.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawk2005
I don't understand what are you talking about. The brave new world is what you want it to be - one of the reasons for moving to Oz was that I thought the Tesco "strangle the high street" culture was a bad thing for society

In the brave new world of a society which revolves around consumer activity, as many jobs need to be created as possibel to increase the consumer base of the economy.

My local butcher must be well patronised as there are always half a dozen people serving. My local coles has rows of prepacked meat, maybe refilled every now and again by a single teenage shelf stacker.

Tell me what is better for the economy - the creation of six jobs or the creation of a part time shelf stacking job and a part time check out chick
Thats an interesting point. The problem is shareholders and overseas forces are dictating these changes. It's the same boat for everyone. Having said that though, why would Tescos be any more of a threat than Coles or Safeway to your local butchery ?

I'll repeat a point I made before, I need to spend as little time shopping as possible in order to have what I personally require as enough leisure time at home. Surely a forward thinking group of High St shops can put their business under one banner on the net and let me order online ?

Right I'm cook tea for two kids and help with their homework etc... Everyones circumstances are unique, Supermarkets being 24/7 help accomodate this. Luckily in Coburg we already have that with our local Coles.

Leisure time over till 10 pm this evening.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 6:21 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
You forgot to add that you paid 40% more for the pleasure.

Who said they expected it to be the same as the UK, not me.

Competition is always a good thing for the consumer, far too many monopolys here.
40% more than what?

Lynn
Old Apr 11th 2006, 6:22 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

40% more than what?

Lynn
Than it would cost to shop elsewhere.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 6:31 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: TESCO coming to Joondalup

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Every week almost my employers at Aussie post tell us how we have to work harder and smarter because of increased competion. You have shown your attitude to your previous customers by pointing out how you feel they are Lazy. What you obviously needed was a boss to tell you that there are alternative routes when faced with this kind of competion. IE: Flyers with prices with specials on them free deliverys, bonuses, loyalty programs etc etc. You failed to move with the times, which the rest of the world is being forced to do. If the local high street shops, do not react proactively when faced with the kind of competion that Megachains bring sobeit. Whats wrong with a butcher getting together with the Greengrocer up the road, and supplying as a joint venture. In my Brave new world, at Aus post, we have to look at alternatives monthly.

Do not get Lazy confused with Busy.
Just a quick off-topic question for ya, mate: has the new Industrial Relations legislation changed anything for you guys at Post, or is it too early to say yet?

Feel free to respond in the appropriate thread instead of this one.

Ta.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 6:32 am
Breeding little aussies

Than it would cost to shop elsewhere.
sorry but i can't agree with that, i may have saved myself a couple of dollars here and a couple there if i'd gone to the butcher and gone to the fruit and veg place or maybe gone to the pharmacy to see if the toiletries i use were on special, but why bother, it would cost me more in petrol to get there than i'd save, without even considering my time.

I don;t know where you live but where i live the reality is that coles is a 5 min drive away, there will soon be one a 5 min walk away, it sells everything i need and i am happy with the quality and service, what i could save doing it in different places would as i said soon be swallowed up in getting to them.

I can only presume that its different in other areas from mine.

Lynn
Old Apr 11th 2006, 6:37 am

sorry but i can't agree with that, i may have saved myself a couple of dollars here and a couple there if i'd gone to the butcher and gone to the fruit and veg place or maybe gone to the pharmacy to see if the toiletries i use were on special, but why bother, it would cost me more in petrol to get there than i'd save, without even considering my time.

I don;t know where you live but where i live the reality is that coles is a 5 min drive away, there will soon be one a 5 min walk away, it sells everything i need and i am happy with the quality and service, what i could save doing it in different places would as i said soon be swallowed up in getting to them.

I can only presume that its different in other areas from mine.

Lynn
We buy meat and veg for half the price that we pay in coles if it was a matter of only saving a couple of dollars we'd shop in Coles.

Just been there to get a loaf of bread the cheapest one they had $1.98 we pay 99cents At other places.

Chicken fillets around $13 a kilo in Coles we pay $5.99.

Potatoes $3 a kilo, the most we pay is $2.99 for 5 kilos but we paid 99 cents this week.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 7:42 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: TESCO coming to Joondalup

I'd be delighted if some overseas competition resulted in lower prices at Australia supermarkets. But there's no guarantee that it would.

In a capitalist economy, business will always adhere to the general rule of "charging what the market will bear." Increased competition usually results in lowering "what the market will bear" to a rate that is far more attractive to consumers - but this is by no means a certainty.

I have noticed, for example, that UK landlines are more expensive than their Australian counterparts. Local calls are timed, which means that you actually pay per minute - even if you're calling next door! By contrast, Australian local calls are untimed and therefore many times cheaper. You pay a flat rate for a local phone call, regardless of how long you talk.

There is no question that the competition in the UK's landline market is far greater than Australia's - and yet, Australians get the better deal when it comes to local calls.

Would British landline owners prefer cheaper local calls? Undoubtedly! But as long as they are willing to pay for timed local calls, the market will continue to shaft them. It's case of charging what the market will bear.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 8:26 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Not sure if you've got answer to your question - yes you can get Ryvita in Australia.

Mrs JTL
Thank you Mrs JTL
Old Apr 11th 2006, 8:28 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hawk2005
Tesco's are b4stards - they screw their suppliers into the ground so they dont make any money and go out of business. Then they move on to leech off somewhere else. They have no ethics whatsoever & eventually ruin town centres by putting all the smaller retailers out of business.
They are a blight to the UK with their out of town toytown superstores.

Its lazy people who shop there, people who will then go onto complain there are no local shops - all because they couldnt be bothered supporting the local newsagent/butcher/fish shop/greengrocer and just watched as they went out of business.
excellent couldnt have put it better myself.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Tumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really niceTumbleweed is just really nice

Don't you believe it, i know a few people here who would buy it just so they could say it came from Tesco :scared: It was just like when Next opened here too.................................. don't get me started or i wont stop.............. but what would the locals in say..... Milton Keynes say if a Coles opened up there????

Aussie supermarkets are IMHO great, i can go in, buy what i need, pay for it, leave, go home and unpack it and have enough food to feed my family for a week without too much hassle..... why the hell would i need tesco to do that??????

Lynn
couldnt agree more cant believe there are some sad b*stards that want tesco and next in oz. get a life
Old Apr 11th 2006, 8:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We buy meat and veg for half the price that we pay in coles if it was a matter of only saving a couple of dollars we'd shop in Coles.

Just been there to get a loaf of bread the cheapest one they had $1.98 we pay 99cents At other places.

Chicken fillets around $13 a kilo in Coles we pay $5.99.

Potatoes $3 a kilo, the most we pay is $2.99 for 5 kilos but we paid 99 cents this week.
So why are you arguing the toss about Tesco's possibly coming over if you are finding stuff so cheap anyway

I have no problem with new competition bringing prices down but I do have a problem with Tesco's. I hate the shops, the concept, the ripping off of the farmer. I used to get near panic attacks in the damned place because they were so big and had far more choice than I actually need or want. Coles works for me size wise. Butcher, baker and grocer all get used but then they did in the UK. Would never buy meat from a supermarket anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.