Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TESCO coming to Joondalup

View Poll Results: Do you want Tescos in Australia?
Yes yes yes.
67.11%
No way
13.60%
Couldn`t care
17.11%
As long as it sells cheap jeans
2.19%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

TESCO coming to Joondalup

Old Apr 10th 2006, 5:39 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TESCO coming to Joondalup

Originally Posted by possoms
LOL yes I have been in the Tesco in Prague but dont think it sells food does it? to be honest I just stuck my head round the door in disbelief
No it doesn't. Or not much anyway. I think it was mainly clothes and household wares, which was probably what I was trying to get at.

S
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Karen and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really niceKaren and Iain is just really nice

The saddest thing is that even those of us who hate the idea of tesco will end up caught up in the convenience of it sometimes, unfortunate but true. Where I am now in Edinburgh we didn't have tesco until about 4 years ago and now the high street near me has no longer got a fruit shop, or a fish monger and one of the two butchers has shut down. Tesco minging fruit and veg available any day, immediately before it starts to go furry. Yes the food is a bit cheaper but the community has definatly lost
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:54 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karen and Iain
The saddest thing is that even those of us who hate the idea of tesco will end up caught up in the convenience of it sometimes, unfortunate but true. Where I am now in Edinburgh we didn't have tesco until about 4 years ago and now the high street near me has no longer got a fruit shop, or a fish monger and one of the two butchers has shut down. Tesco minging fruit and veg available any day, immediately before it starts to go furry. Yes the food is a bit cheaper but the community has definatly lost
That is exactly one of the things I love about Holland, and also what you still see in Oz (or at least whenI was in Melbourne)

Greengrocers, fishmongers, Butchers & bakers.

My father worked in the Fruit & Veg wholesale for 45 years, and I have worked in flowers for 22 years, and I seen what the supermarkets have done to these trades. Bakers & butchers have all gone the same way. The quality is shite, but everybody is "happy" because is cheap.

I don't think so.

please NOOOOOO tesco in Oz.

why should we be happy with bargain priced foods, when everything else we want in this life must be top quality ?

rant, seeth, mumble mumble. God I hate supermarkets !!!!
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:55 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Karen and Iain
that is so true Tesco has a hell of a lot to answer for.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 7:11 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Found that link yet 2foot?
Old Apr 10th 2006, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

upthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud ofupthehammers has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Will the service be appalling and attitude generally miserable? You can't mimic the "British Experience" without these inextricable qualities.

To be honest, the degree of excitement that results from an announcement like this is probably directly proportional to the likelihood of feeling very homesick and wanting to catch a flight home within the first few months of living in Australia.

Personally, I don't want to live in a pseudo-state and if I never see a Tescos again it will be too soon.
I would not mind a tesco but to be honest when on holiday in oz i found woolworths great
Old Apr 10th 2006, 10:14 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Tescos is shite, especially their fruit and veg. Surely you've all bitten into a powdery Tescos apple and seen the mould covered pips?
Old Apr 10th 2006, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

stubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nicestubbyholder is just really nice

"
PHP Code:
To be honestthe degree of excitement that results from an announcement like this is probably directly proportional to the likelihood of feeling very homesick and wanting to catch a flight home within the first few months of living in Australia 
."

It's probably more to do with the fact that they may add competion in the Aus. retail sector,(aside from their lamentable fruit and veg selection), IMO they've introduced competitive prices in the UK for mobile phones, clothing, CD's,vino, internet connection,car and house insurance, electrical goods, books,etc. etc. which as far as the consumer is concerned can't be all that bad ? or can it? BUT it's at a price, i.e the demise of the corner shop! I don't know -on the one hand it's good for the consumer to have a competitive retail market,but when you think that roughly £1 in every £8 spent on retail sales on the UK High street,is spent in Tescos, it's scary!! Just my humble opinion
S
Old Apr 11th 2006, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
minging mate, absolutely minging, I do love Ryvitas though will we be able to get them there?
Not sure if you've got answer to your question - yes you can get Ryvita in Australia.

Mrs JTL
Old Apr 11th 2006, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Not sure if you've got answer to your question - yes you can get Ryvita in Australia.

Mrs JTL
I had a look for any info and all I could find was Tesco is going to USA. Was the OP mixed up. Hope not.

Jo
Old Apr 11th 2006, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Anything which gives Woolies and Coles a kick up the backside is fine by me! As for the corner shops closing etc, they are always full around here due to trading restrictions on the big supermarkets... in WA shops which employ under a certain amount of employees (sorry I forget how many) can stay open later and on Sundays.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa

Anything which gives Woolies and Coles a kick up the backside is fine by me!
Exactly, food prices here are beyond comprehension at times, plus the way they go up 4/5 times in as many months, would that be as likely if competition was allowed in. be it tescos or ho lee mings supermart, people dont just want tescos they want affordable food.

However having seen eg, M&S in singapore, the prices are not that cheap when a store goes overseas , were assuming food prices will be like the UK prices because its tescos, whos to say they havent just seen the australian market as one which with our prices would be highly profitable for them.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 1:39 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

You lot make me laugh, how the hell can Tesco coming here be a bad thing.

The supermarkets here are more expensive than those in the UK, and Tesco coming here would surely force them to lower their prices.

As for not wanting to live in a little Britain, how many of the Australian stores are actually Australian?

Safeway and Woolworth aren't Australian.

Target and K-Mart are American as are most things here
Old Apr 11th 2006, 1:50 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Will the service be appalling and attitude generally miserable? You can't mimic the "British Experience" without these inextricable qualities.

Not really any different to the service here to be honest, the only place that's better here in comparison is Bunnings to B&Q.

To be honest, the degree of excitement that results from an announcement like this is probably directly proportional to the likelihood of feeling very homesick and wanting to catch a flight home within the first few months of living in Australia.
What a load of shit, yep I'm homesick because I don't want to pay the extortionate prices which Coles/Safeway charge and have to go to several different places to get our weekly shop which is cheaper then the UK.

It would just be nice to walk into a supermarket and not have to bend over and take it

Let's just keep anything out that would improve the country just because everything that is British is bad
Old Apr 11th 2006, 1:54 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

what makes everyone so sure that tesco coming here will lower the cost of food? others have already said that other overseas stores don't sell food so what is there to say that one here will?

It woudl be interesting to know why so many people have answered yes..... is it because they really do believe that food will be cheaper, bearing in mind it will still be the same food as you'd buy in coles not what you were buying in the uk (in the most case), is it becasue they think that they will be able to do the same weekly shop as they did in the uk, or is it because they see it as a little piece of "home".

Personally I can't even remember what it was like and as the OP seems to have conveniently forgotten where he found it i'm guessing its just one big wind up.

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.