Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TESCO coming to Joondalup

View Poll Results: Do you want Tescos in Australia?
Yes yes yes.
67.11%
No way
13.60%
Couldn`t care
17.11%
As long as it sells cheap jeans
2.19%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

TESCO coming to Joondalup

Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:44 am
Banned

2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future
Default TESCO coming to Joondalup

Hello, suppose it was inevitable really!

Plans accepted, location secret, just have to go through a foreign trade agreements and assess impact to other company's.

I forget the link - I will find it.

I`m not sure this type of consumerism is whats needed. It may raise the supermarket standards in Perth and lower prices but food is already too cheap and we have to value it more.

Is convenience more important than local businesses?
Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:48 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TESCO coming to Joondalup

Originally Posted by 2foot

Plans accepted, location secret, just have to go through a foreign trade agreements and assess impact to other company's.

I`m not sure this type of consumerism is whats needed. It may raise the supermarket standards in Perth and lower prices but food is already too cheap and we have to value it more.

April fools days was 10 days ago
Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

thats really good news, I wonder if they open one in Adelaide too.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:54 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

I know i'm a bit slow on the uptake and i'm sick too so probably slower than usual, but please someone tell me this is a joke......

Lynn
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh please don't let it be a joke, please, please!!
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:18 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Oh please don't let it be a joke, please, please!!
well they have a Tesco in Malaysia, so it wouldnt surprise me if one does come to Aus

why do you want Tesco in Aus? are the Aus supermarkets that bad?!
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:21 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: TESCO coming to Joondalup

I'm struggling to comprehend the notion that the presence of Tesco will actually "raise standards." That's an oxymoron, surely.

I don't shop at Tesco here in the UK, and I won't shop at Tesco if it's there when I move back home, but if its arrival in Australia results in a price war from other supermarkets, I'll be delighted.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:27 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I heard they're setting up a UK retail village in North Sydney. M&S, Waitrose, Next, WH Smiths - even a greasy spoon cafe called The Golden Egg.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I'm struggling to comprehend the notion that the presence of Tesco will actually "raise standards." That's an oxymoron, surely.

I don't shop at Tesco here in the UK, and I won't shop at Tesco if it's there when I move back home, but if its arrival in Australia results in a price war from other supermarkets, I'll be delighted.

Beleive it or not... Tescos was one of the Highlights in my belief in the reinessance of the quality of life in the UK on my trip there after 16 years away.

I've yet to see a better Fishmongers type layout, at least around me here in Coburg and Brunswick.... Combine that with at least equal to the best everything else... Butchery, Bakery, Deli...... All at slightly cheaper prices than we get here. The Tescos I saw was Kingston Milton Keynes, which apparently is one of the biggest in the UK.

Pity they dont pack your bags for you though. Mind you they will have to once they get here eh

Pity the story is too good to be true. Maybe in ten years though.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
I know i'm a bit slow on the uptake and i'm sick too so probably slower than usual, but please someone tell me this is a joke......

Lynn
I do hope so. I can't tell you how much I hate those stores. I know there are an awful lot of British Expats in North Perth but for the love of Australia, please make this a sad late April Fool :scared:
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:47 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

their millk is going to be minging after 9 weeks at sea. it won't last, people won't buy minging milk.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:47 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I do hope so. I can't tell you how much I hate those stores. I know there are an awful lot of British Expats in North Perth but for the love of Australia, please make this a sad late April Fool :scared:
unfortunately looking at the poll, most want it to be true

lets all move to Oz so we can walk down a highstreet that looks like the UK. c'mon FFS, thats what most of us want to get away from.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:48 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
their millk is going to be minging after 9 weeks at sea. it won't last, people won't buy minging milk.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Paul & Wendy will become famous soon enoughPaul & Wendy will become famous soon enough

Not bothered about Tesco - but certainly interested about the mention of Next coming to Australia - does anyone else know anything about Next opening a store, or extending their Directory service??
Paul
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:53 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I heard they're setting up a UK retail village in North Sydney. M&S, Waitrose, Next, WH Smiths - even a greasy spoon cafe called The Golden Egg.
Will the service be appalling and attitude generally miserable? You can't mimic the "British Experience" without these inextricable qualities.

To be honest, the degree of excitement that results from an announcement like this is probably directly proportional to the likelihood of feeling very homesick and wanting to catch a flight home within the first few months of living in Australia.

Personally, I don't want to live in a pseudo-state and if I never see a Tescos again it will be too soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.