Reload this Page >

tesco/asda/next/primark

tesco/asda/next/primark

Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: tesco/asda/next/primark

Originally Posted by emma75
What decnet clothes shops do they have then for kids? My sister said the clothes shops are pants and i should buy masses before coming over (Although I do take everything she says with a pinch of salt!)
Well my boys are now in adult sizes, so its no longer an issue for me. Where I am, if you wanted anything of slightly better than average quality, then basically you could forget it. There isn't anywhere.

Sydney will probably be different... I'm sure Melbourne is awash with quality shops
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Well my boys are now in adult sizes, so its no longer an issue for me. Where I am, if you wanted anything of slightly better than average quality, then basically you could forget it. There isn't anywhere.

Sydney will probably be different... I'm sure Melbourne is awash with quality shops
Melbourne deffo has more choice than Sydney. Theres chapel street and bridge street which has independent clothes stores on each side for about 2-3km stretch of road. There still plenty of junk and overpriced stuff down there but there are a few shops that you come across that over quality stuff and those shops sold european clothes which they imported.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

There are boutiques in Melbourne and some of the better shops have outlets.

If you want quality, you have to pay more that is all just like I did in the UK. I shop like I did in the UK - I visit shops that sell good clothes that will last 10 years or so. Not boutiques - not my style either. I have suits that were made 20 years ago which I look after and were made to last. They still look great. I personally think it's a false economy to buy supermarket clothes. Bonds and the like from Target are OK, naturally, for fast-growing children.

The only thing I source from overseas is business shirts. Good quality, classic tailoring. Still made in China..

Originally Posted by markbhx
Thats the crap that comes out of China for ya! Anyone found any clothes in from Target or Kmart not made in China?
Guess offers the best quality/price, i've found. $120 for a pair of jeans that actually fit well and will last years suits me just fine, compared with $40 jeans that make you look like some american redneck from hicktown and will last 6 months.
No I haven't found anything not made in China. You'd be realy hard-pushed to find something cheap not made there. I bought a 'high end' shirt a few years ago where the material was woven in Italy - look! but assembled...made.. in China.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

Any excuse for a bit of shopping, Will stock up before i leave!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that's aimed in my direction.

My local supermarket in the UK was an Asda Supercenter. It had an area of chiller cabinets, just selling meat, that was probably of a similar size to my local Woolies. It also had three guys on the butchers counter.

Bit of an overkill I suppose as all that lot was only selling a couple of sausages and the odd meat pie.
It's almost pointless comparing, really. It goes without saying that those boys were not just selling meat pies!

I don't give a shit either way about supermarkets, UK or Oz, I'm not fussed. They are just places where we get the bulk of our weekly shop from, but some of the comments in this thread don't seem to be related to reality... and that's from both sides of the 'discussion'.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:57 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

We get this topic come up every few months and people get upset about it comparing UK to Aus shops. There are some who like UK and some who like Aus and some who don't give a rats arse either way

The facts are Aus is Aus and UK is UK and the two have different markets and different goods and comparing them is like comparing apples with pears. The way we shop in Aus Vs UK, the kinds and quality of products is different and that's cos you're not in UK

UK shopping is superior to Aus in terms of choice and quality but guess what, Aus is not third world and you can get everything you need and you won't die and once you get this then living here is great cos you realise it's different and you get over it and life becomes more relaxed and you learn not to give a shit
Old Aug 8th 2010, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
We get this topic come up every few months and people get upset about it comparing UK to Aus shops. There are some who like UK and some who like Aus and some who don't give a rats arse either way

The facts are Aus is Aus and UK is UK and the two have different markets and different goods and comparing them is like comparing apples with pears. The way we shop in Aus Vs UK, the kinds and quality of products is different and that's cos you're not in UK

UK shopping is superior to Aus in terms of choice and quality but guess what, Aus is not third world and you can get everything you need and you won't die and once you get this then living here is great cos you realise it's different and you get over it and life becomes more relaxed and you learn not to give a shit
Says it all.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

These threads are always wierd... you get evangelists from both sides and some of the arguments are just bizarre.

Is choice limited in Oz to UK... well I guess that depends on where you live/lived. Personally I would say that there is less choice... but I never come away from Woolworths thinking that "I couldn't find X"...unless I went in looking for Walkers crisps.

Is Oz more expensive than UK... pass. I haven't lived in the UK for years so I wouldn't know. I do remember when I first arrived thinking meat was cheap here, but everything else seemed more expensive... and I arrived at a time when the exchange rate was $2.30 to the pound. New arrivals must see it as very expensive.

Does Oz have more smaller shops let than the UK... Well that goes without saying...but if you were to believe half the posters on here, all those small shops knock food out for peanuts. It's not my experience of them. I don't find them much/any cheaper than the supermarkets. My local butcher does some great cuts of pork...but cheap he isn't.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:17 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markbhx
Thats the crap that comes out of China for ya! Anyone found any clothes in from Target or Kmart not made in China?
Guess offers the best quality/price, i've found. $120 for a pair of jeans that actually fit well and will last years suits me just fine, compared with $40 jeans that make you look like some american redneck from hicktown and will last 6 months.
Just been back to UK for 5 weeks and spent a small fortune on clothes from Next and M&S. Style is much better than here in Australia but you are kidding yourself if you think the quality is better or that it is made in Europe.

I have just had a look at a few of the items I bought. The Next cropped jeans I bought were made in China, as were the 4 pairs of cropped linen trousers I bought in M&S. The 2 dresses from M&S were made in India and the Next shirts I bought were made in Sri Lanka, India and China. Other bits I bought were made in UAE, Georgia and Tunisia. Even the Jacque Vert jacket which I paid 250GBP for was made in China.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by northernbird
Even the Jacque Vert jacket which I paid 250GBP for was made in China.
Doesn't sound so posh when you say you paid 250 quid for a Jack Green jacket.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:31 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't sound so posh when you say you paid 250 quid for a Jack Green jacket.
Yeah I know, it was nice though. I only paid 40 quid for the M&S dress I wore with it too! The jacket, shoes and handbag cost me a mint!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by northernbird
Yeah I know, it was nice though. I only paid 40 quid for the M&S dress I wore with it too! The jacket, shoes and handbag cost me a mint!
My wife used to shop in the Jaques Vert shop in Manchester... but only in the sales !
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:34 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Says it all.

These threads are always wierd... you get evangelists from both sides and some of the arguments are just bizarre.

Is choice limited in Oz to UK... well I guess that depends on where you live/lived. Personally I would say that there is less choice... but I never come away from Woolworths thinking that "I couldn't find X"...unless I went in looking for Walkers crisps.

Is Oz more expensive than UK... pass. I haven't lived in the UK for years so I wouldn't know. I do remember when I first arrived thinking meat was cheap here, but everything else seemed more expensive... and I arrived at a time when the exchange rate was $2.30 to the pound. New arrivals must see it as very expensive.

Does Oz have more smaller shops let than the UK... Well that goes without saying...but if you were to believe half the posters on here, all those small shops knock food out for peanuts. It's not my experience of them. I don't find them much/any cheaper than the supermarkets. My local butcher does some great cuts of pork...but cheap he isn't.
Agree it is about where you live which is why this is subjective and I've found where I live the cheaper butchers serve crappier cuts of meat which are OK for stews or if you like fat so it's a choice thing, again there's no right, no wrong just choice

I've lived here years and have not starved and I've managed to find everything we need. I've learned to cook and bake the things we've missed and this has made me see a side to myself I didn't realise I had which shows me that we can adapt even if we don't realise it
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:36 pm
Gutter Gob!!

My wife used to shop in the Jaques Vert shop in Manchester... but only in the sales !
It was purchased from the Jacque Vert shop in the Trafford Centre!! It wasn't in the sale but it went with the dress perfectly so I didn't mind splashing the cash as it was for a wedding.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

Agree it is about where you live which is why this is subjective and I've found where I live the cheaper butchers serve crappier cuts of meat which are OK for stews or if you like fat so it's a choice thing, again there's no right, no wrong just choice
It's even goes down as far as the local shopping centre you use. The butchers I mention is slap bang facing a Woolworths. He knows damn well that if he tried to compete on price, that they would probably try and wipe him out by just going cheaper and cheaper... so he competes on quality and ingenuity. Super cuts of meat, at a price, and lots of semi-prepared meals where he can disguise the cheaper cuts in various sauces and a reward scheme of his own that offers about 4% back at Christmas on your years spend. Sounds like Tesco's !!

Seems to work well for him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.