ABCDiamond

Default Re: tesco/asda/next/primark

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Where do you put the stuffing?

S
Who eats the stuffing ?

Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littda01
I think the Aus *supermarket* is 10 yrs behind the UK, yes, but the availability and quality of food generally is significanly *ahead* of the UK. Mostly because of the range of quality supply available.

What you describe is what I'd hate to see - "food tecs" dreaming up huge ranges of junk ready-meals, cereals and so on. Australia needs to protect its health!
The argument will always run...
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:23 am
Just Joined

nicky1969 has a brilliant futurenicky1969 has a brilliant futurenicky1969 has a brilliant futurenicky1969 has a brilliant futurenicky1969 has a brilliant futurenicky1969 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by seat151
For clothes, go to Target. Tey are the same clothes as Next would sell!
Sorry, but which Target are you shopping at, let me know asap,
Old Aug 13th 2010, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
What is your definition of a Monopoly ?

As at July 2009, Woolworths’ held 31% of the Australian Grocery market.
Tescos market share in the UK in 2009 was 30.5%

Pretty similar sizes...

And Coles has a much smaller share than Woolworths...
I didn't read the rest of the thread,no doubt it will be the same nonsense as usual.AsI have said before I don't know why you bother.People see what they want to see,reality is not high on the list of things to see.

To further expand on your reasonable market share post,to analyse any company you need the brains of a 10 yr old.

Woolworths has 24 million customers per week.The average profit is $1.50 per customer,thus 24(mill) x 1.5 x 52.Simplified 36 x 52. A 10 yr old can solve that,an adult cannot.They see what they want to see.

They will keep fooling themselves that workers are lining up for less wages,suppliers are lining up to take less money for their product,corporate bond markets and banks are so keen to lend to every other company at lower interest rates than woolies or wesfarmers.

The head honchos of these companies are so keen to operate on less than $1.50 per customer, per week , profit.Shareholders are so angry because they want a very low return on their investment,it breaks their hearts to get a reasonable return.

And so on

Geordie down under
Old Aug 15th 2010, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It really surprises me that Tesco, etc. haven't attempted to enter the Australian market. You'd think it would be a foregone conclusion, considering the size of their operations and the lack of serious competition in this country.
Still the same nonsense I see.
Prime need is, income ,population density,proximity to further expansion and infrastructure.

Tesco operate in Europe ,Asia and the US.Would reality be that those areas have all of those things.Would reality be that Oz only has one of them,income.

Why would they come to OZ?

To see reality you look through the round window,not the pinhole.

As for competition nonsense I will ask the same question again,nobody will be able to answer it.

Tesco annual report gives a gross profit margin of 6.2% for the UK.Woolworths operate on around 5.6% in OZ.

Is 6.2% more than 5.6%,difficult one isn't it.

SAme question as before, the intense cut throat competition in the UK produces Tesco,the total lack of competition in OZ produces woolworths.Can you explain how Tesco operate on higher margins?

To quote a 6 BC greek philosopher (whose name I forget)

It isn't ignorance that causes the stupidity of the human race,it is the delusion of knowledge.Human nature hasn't changed over the last 2000 yrs has it,it isn't going to change over the next 2000 yrs either.

Geordie downunder
Old Aug 15th 2010, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicky1969
Sorry, but which Target are you shopping at, let me know asap,
Same here, I look on next online hoping they are coming to Australia.
My Target in WA has none of the the clothes from last season or this season.

Also even in Tesco came to Australia it would not be the same as the one in the UK. I lived in another country before coming here and the Tesco was a large store but filled with local products. So even if it came to Aus you may not see your favourite foods or items from back home.

Gems
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:37 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gems

Also even in Tesco came to Australia it would not be the same as the one in the UK. I lived in another country before coming here and the Tesco was a large store but filled with local products. So even if it came to Aus you may not see your favourite foods or items from back home.

Gems
Tell me about it, my local TescoExpress has about a dozen items (max) from back home - things like tinned salmon (go figure), muesli, tea bags & digestive biscuits - the rest of the stuff on sale is typical Japanese fare.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
Same here, I look on next online hoping they are coming to Australia.
My Target in WA has none of the the clothes from last season or this season.

Gems
I think (not sure really) I can understand that some people want Tesco's here because they think it will bring prices down (don't go along with that myself) but they don't really believe they'll get the same pre packaged processed ready meal rubbish do they? Nah, really????
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:49 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: tesco/asda/next/primark

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I think (not sure really) I can understand that some people want Tesco's here because they think it will bring prices down (don't go along with that myself) but they don't really believe they'll get the same pre packaged processed ready meal rubbish do they? Nah, really????
Do you think it's a need for familiarity to decrease homesickness by making Australia a little bit more like the UK?

BB
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Do you think it's a need for familiarity to decrease homesickness by making Australia a little bit more like the UK?

BB
I think so. Can't think of any other reason, not that makes sense to me anyway However as someone else said, the chances of it being anything like the shop in the UK is unlikely imo.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:04 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

I think so. Can't think of any other reason, not that makes sense to me anyway However as someone else said, the chances of it being anything like the shop in the UK is unlikely imo.
or it will be that expensive due to bringing in stuff that only poms will eat, then the prices will go up and eveyone will whinge about the prices and how it was cheaper in good old blighty

and then the threads start up again

can't wait

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Aug 15th 2010 at 11:42 am.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Location: From Barnsley to Uxbridge to Southampton and eventually to Iluka....
Gert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really niceGert Muller is just really nice

I wouldn't want any UK supermarkets to come to Oz either because then it would be just like Coles or Woolies. I personally am not that keen on Tesco and prefer Sainsburys but I think all people are saying on this thread is that they miss the UK supermarkets and I don't think it is all that hard to understand. I completely get it and so do a lot of the Brits that I know. It's not about wanting Oz to be like the UK, its just something that people miss. And there is a lot more to the UK supermarkets than pre packaged meals...
Old Sep 17th 2010, 1:50 am
Just Joined

PommyT is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the fact that Australia's supermarket's dont offer the same quality or pricing as UK supermarket's, I miss Asda, Tesco etc and the convenience of the store's and that they have so much option in them.

Also I miss the small store's like home bargains, jack fultons and farmfoods especialy for a young person these were easy store's to go to for good but cheap food as an option when your budget is low.

I find the clothes here really bad, everyone wears the same thing as you as there isn't much option unless you have alot of money and can shop at expensive place's at least in england when you buy a shirt or jeans your not going to walk 2mins down the town centre and see someone wearing the same thing and know exactly where they went to get it.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JulieFulie
I am totally amazed by your comments regarding grocery shopping in Australia. There are many great things to enjoy about living in Australia but unfortunately grocery shopping isn't one of them! Leaving clothes shopping aside because I believe that is very much down to personal choice regarding different budgets, when was the last time you visited a Tesco, Sainsburys or Marks and Spencers?? We have only been in Perth 10 months and really my only bugbear about living here apart from missing family and friends is the lack of choice when I go grocery shopping plus the inferior quality of products in the supermarkets. I'm wondering if people who have lived here for a long time have forgotten how good the supermarkets are in the UK, some of the best in the world. Or maybe my standards are just very high... In any case, I believe that the supermarkets here are about 20 years behind the UK or maybe more. Having said all that, the benefits of living here certainly outweigh the few negative aspects like shopping.
I agree. I have lived in Australia for 7 years and been back to the UK every couple of years to visit family. The supermarkets in the UK, whether Tesco, Sainsburys or Asda, are years ahead of the supermarkets here. Coles and Woolworths don't even come close. I found most of the things in the UK are not only cheaper but better quality than the crap you get here. The kids clothes in particular in Tesco and Asda are brilliant. And there's a lot more choice in the food sections if you are vegetarian. I despair at the lack of choice, high prices and poor quality of the products in supermarkets here. Fruit, veg, milk and decent bread is way more expensive here. The only good thing is we cook a lot of our meals from scratch a lot more than we did in the UK as most processed products here are very high in either fat, sugar or salt and in some cases all three and don't even get me started on additives, artificial colours and preservatives used.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
If I were Tesco I would look at Australia and say "meh...22 million people". Let's face it, we're not worth the bother on an economic scale.

Which is essentially why we shall always be doomed in retail choice I suspect.
Aldi decided to take the Australian market seriously and are doing really well. I love shoping there because it's cheap (30% less than the duopoly), easy to find what you want and quick. It Canberra they also sell cheap beer and wine