Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Temporary to Permanent

Temporary to Permanent

Old Nov 8th 2004, 10:44 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary to Permanent

Originally Posted by tracey brien
Hi, wondered if I clould butt in!

Husband is hoping to get a job as an engineer (457) and will be going asap. We were thinking of PR (I am a nurse) but thought this would be quicker and less 'hassle'. We thought we would try the life over there and if we settle would think about PR.
What I want to know is should we apply now for a PR before we leave and if we do, can we still get it if we are already in Oz? Or would it be better to wait until we get over there and get a PR either through hubby's employer or using my qualifications?

hope someone can help

Tracey

hi tracy

We are doing the same. My partner is an engineer and we too are awaiting a job offer from a company who are willing to sponsor us on (457) 4 year visa.

We were just about to apply for PR (138) anyways, so we are still gonna start the application here before we leave on 457 visa, so we can get PR asap.....(if he gets job of course).

So yes if i were you i would start in now anyway, it will be fast tracked seeing as your a nurse so shouldnt take as long as mine will.

Good luck

laura
xxx
Old Nov 8th 2004, 10:47 pm

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, wondered if I clould butt in!

Husband is hoping to get a job as an engineer (457) and will be going asap. We were thinking of PR (I am a nurse) but thought this would be quicker and less 'hassle'. We thought we would try the life over there and if we settle would think about PR.
What I want to know is should we apply now for a PR before we leave and if we do, can we still get it if we are already in Oz? Or would it be better to wait until we get over there and get a PR either through hubby's employer or using my qualifications?

hope someone can help

Tracey

hi tracy

i was sure i typed this once already...??

But we are same as you. Partner engineer and awaiting job offer on 457 visa, we were applying anyway, so we are still sending off our (138) application before we leave here, if he gets the job that is.....

If i was you i would apply PR as soon as poss.

hope this helps

good luck

laura
xxxx
Old Nov 8th 2004, 11:50 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Laura,

I'm so confused of the best way to go! However, saying that, I think I will apply for a PR and if he doesn't get fixed up with a job it may only set us back a few months judging by how quick they are processing nurses at the moment. Will have a think and see how it goes.

Tracey
Old Nov 9th 2004, 7:28 am

Thanks Laura,

I'm so confused of the best way to go! However, saying that, I think I will apply for a PR and if he doesn't get fixed up with a job it may only set us back a few months judging by how quick they are processing nurses at the moment. Will have a think and see how it goes.

Tracey

thats what i would do if i was qualified. Your application will get fastracked anyway, and at least you can go when you want and where you want. I am feeling a bit stressed actually after hearing horror stories re these temp visas.

Its only cos we are impatient that we are taking the offer, if he gets it, but really we wanted to go to Perth and not have to work straight away and wanted to go after we had sold the house, and if he gets the job, its going o be totally different.

We will have a lot of questions to ask the company tho before we say yes......

So are still persuing our PR as if nothing has happened....

good luck, let me know what you decide.

laura
xxx
Old Nov 9th 2004, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
thats what i would do if i was qualified. Your application will get fastracked anyway, and at least you can go when you want and where you want. I am feeling a bit stressed actually after hearing horror stories re these temp visas.

Its only cos we are impatient that we are taking the offer, if he gets it, but really we wanted to go to Perth and not have to work straight away and wanted to go after we had sold the house, and if he gets the job, its going o be totally different.

We will have a lot of questions to ask the company tho before we say yes......

So are still persuing our PR as if nothing has happened....

good luck, let me know what you decide.

laura
xxx
Hi laura,

definately try and go for the PR visa, just heard from mine today and looks like they will do the RSMS visa for me...after constant badgering, but im going to get it all in writing, afterall, dont finish my course until april 8th.
And in the long run it will be miles better, less worry for a start, and im sure i can be comitted to working for the hosp for 2 years, and at the end of the day, if i was on a 457 temp visa, if they laid me off, unless i could find another sponsor really quickly, it would be goodbye oz.

Trish
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:20 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

can i join in?
this is something i have recently been considering doing....im a nurse too.
if i have understood correctly, i can go to oz on a 457 visa with the nursing agency. i can also apply for PR....is this best submitted once in oz (and working on the 457) or can i submit it before i leave the uk? if i did this, once granted PR I could then leave the job i had on the 457 with no problems, because the PR would allow me to stay so cancelling out the 457?
wow....confusion reigns!

Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
can i join in?
this is something i have recently been considering doing....im a nurse too.
if i have understood correctly, i can go to oz on a 457 visa with the nursing agency. i can also apply for PR....is this best submitted once in oz (and working on the 457) or can i submit it before i leave the uk? if i did this, once granted PR I could then leave the job i had on the 457 with no problems, because the PR would allow me to stay so cancelling out the 457?
wow....confusion reigns!
Once you get PR it cancels the 457 visa so you can leave the next day. But why not just forget the 457, get your PR from the UK, and avoid all the complications?

The real problems arise if PR is refused for some reason and then you are stuck on the 457.

Jeremy
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
Once you get PR it cancels the 457 visa so you can leave the next day. But why not just forget the 457, get your PR from the UK, and avoid all the complications?

The real problems arise if PR is refused for some reason and then you are stuck on the 457.

Jeremy
Do you know
will the 457 visa have any affect on the processing of the PR application if the PR application is sent to DIMIA before the 457 is granted? The company said they already had the 457 visas waiting as they had bought them in a block?

laura
xxxx
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:47 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy

hi jeremy,
thanks for the reply!
we want to go asap cos my 7 year old would be able to start school in january, rather than half way through the school year.
and i had wondered about pr being refused.....that would be us on the next plane home cos my other half is a work-aholic and couldnt cope with sitting at home (hes a plasterer and they start at 6am in aus) and im a nurse and would be doing shift work.

im too impatient, thats my problem!

cheers though..!
sue
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Do you know
will the 457 visa have any affect on the processing of the PR application if the PR application is sent to DIMIA before the 457 is granted? The company said they already had the 457 visas waiting as they had bought them in a block?

laura
xxxx
Not normally - however if you were to be granted your PR and then your 457 visa was granted, it would cancel your PR.

Jeremy
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not normally - however if you were to be granted your PR and then your 457 visa was granted, it would cancel your PR.

Jeremy

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy

thanks jeremy.

so make sure the PR is still in early stages and not about to be granted, then when you get your 457 LOL

tired with twin,
yes im impatient too......
laura
xx
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

mysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of lightmysnix is a glorious beacon of light

We've got a similar problem, we already have a permanent STNI 137 skilled independent visa in our passports, sponsored by South Australia, my husband went for an interview for a company last week and they want us to go with them on a 457 temp visa to Perth.

Because we already have our PR visa and were only 5 points short of the 136 visa (so we could live in Perth), would it be possible to change the one we've got, now that we have the extra 5 points for employer sponsored or is it too late?

I'm a bit concerned about going on a temporary visa, especially seeing as we already have a permanent one.

Sorry if that doesn't make any sense feeling a bit confused at the moment.
Any advice appreciated.

Nikki
xx
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:42 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by mysnix
We've got a similar problem, we already have a permanent STNI 137 skilled independent visa in our passports, sponsored by South Australia, my husband went for an interview for a company last week and they want us to go with them on a 457 temp visa to Perth.

Because we already have our PR visa and were only 5 points short of the 136 visa (so we could live in Perth), would it be possible to change the one we've got, now that we have the extra 5 points for employer sponsored or is it too late?

I'm a bit concerned about going on a temporary visa, especially seeing as we already have a permanent one.
Firstly, you can't change from 137 to 136 now your visa has been granted. And even if you could, points for a job offer only apply if your nominated occupation is on MODL - not otherwise.

Secondly if you get a 457 visa it cancels your 137 visa (irreversibly) and you'd be crazy to even think about that.

Thirdly, if this company in Perth is serious about hiring, there is another option that will get you out of your obligations to SA - they could sponsor for a *permanent* Employer Nomination Scheme visa (ENS).

Fourthly, make sure you validate the 137 before raising any possibility of going to WA, including applying for a new visa. To begin with, an unvalidated 137 could be cancelled if it appeared you were not interested in SA any more, and also, if the ENS visa didn't work out, you will need to fall-back on the 137. There are *no* excuses in DIMIA's eyes for not validating a visa.

Once you have validated the 137 visa, you should discuss things with ImmiSA but make it clear that unless you get an ENS visa you will abide by your state nomination obligations.

It would be different if you had already settled in SA and then a job offer in WA came up, in that case you would be ok to use your 137 visa (especially if you did not have work in SA).

If all this just confuses you further - hire a good agent to explain it all personally. The rest of your life is too important to allow confusion to lead you into a visa mess.

Jeremy
Old Nov 9th 2004, 6:07 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just clear something up i my mind?

If I apply for a PR and then hubby gets offered a job with temp visa can it still be processed even though we have left GB? What would we do about meds etc if we are not in GB? Can we have them over in OZ? Also what about change of address? Do we inform them when we get to OZ of our change of address? Many questions I know but it's all confusing and I do't know if I'm doing right for wrong!!!!!

thanks, Tracey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.