Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Temp Res 457ie and Antenatal and maternity costs

Temp Res 457ie and Antenatal and maternity costs

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

aliceJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temp Res 457ie and Antenatal and maternity costs

If we have an accident.... I mean another baby, while we are on 457 ie long term temp res visas, does anyone know how much the hospital costs are likely to be?

Do you think private healthcare would normally cover this?

Don't want to have to come back to the UK or to have to wait for perm res if we decide to have another!
Old Sep 4th 2002, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Temp Res 457ie and Antenatal and maternity costs

We are here on a temp 457 visa and our baby was born here in Feb. We had to get her a UK passport as she is deemed temporary as well as us. She is a pom even though she's never been to pommieland.

We don't have any insurance. We did have BUPA international insurance but it ran out and didn't cover obstretics any.

Basically, it didn't cost us a penny apart from the pre-tests...It was all on medicare. Which was nice, 'cos another couple we know from South Africa ended up paying just over $5000 for the same thing, same hospital an all !!

Ahhh....reciprocal healthcare...lovely job.

Careful with those private health insurance packages - read the small, small print !!

We were told by my IT recruiter in Sydney before I came here, that we defo. need private medical insurance before coming here, he also said we wouldn't get the visa without it. So, I like a complete twat, went out and got some. Cost me nigh on 1500 quid for 2 adults for international medical cover. Which, as I have said, was completely useless. It turns out we had no need to get it anyway. The IT recruiter guy is full of crap. I sent him the bill after I found out it wasn't required...

You can get private health cover here if you really want to...bit expensive though,.

Originally posted by aliceJ:
If we have an accident.... I mean another baby, while we are on 457 ie long term temp res visas, does anyone know how much the hospital costs are likely to be?

Do you think private healthcare would normally cover this?

Don't want to have to come back to the UK or to have to wait for perm res if we decide to have another!
Old Sep 4th 2002, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

aliceJ is an unknown quantity at this point

That's really good news. A little less to budget for. Thanks a bunch.
Originally posted by onlyme:
We are here on a temp 457 visa and our baby was born here in Feb. We had to get her a UK passport as she is deemed temporary as well as us. She is a pom even though she's never been to pommieland.

We don't have any insurance. We did have BUPA international insurance but it ran out and didn't cover obstretics any.

Basically, it didn't cost us a penny apart from the pre-tests...It was all on medicare. Which was nice, 'cos another couple we know from South Africa ended up paying just over $5000 for the same thing, same hospital an all !!

Ahhh....reciprocal healthcare...lovely job.

Careful with those private health insurance packages - read the small, small print !!

We were told by my IT recruiter in Sydney before I came here, that we defo. need private medical insurance before coming here, he also said we wouldn't get the visa without it. So, I like a complete twat, went out and got some. Cost me nigh on 1500 quid for 2 adults for international medical cover. Which, as I have said, was completely useless. It turns out we had no need to get it anyway. The IT recruiter guy is full of crap. I sent him the bill after I found out it wasn't required...

You can get private health cover here if you really want to...bit expensive though,.

Old Sep 4th 2002, 10:42 am
Jaj

Onlyme You should be aware of the fact that your daughter is a British citizen 'by
descent' and under current UK law is stuck that way for life - no matter how many
years she spends in the UK.

The fact that she did not acquire Australian citizenship is irrelevant.

The practical effect of this is that if she has children born outside the UK herself
(ie your grandchildren) they won't automatically be British unless her husband is
British 'otherwise than by descent'.

I've put some notes on the consequences of being British by descent at: http://australianz.topcities.co-
m/britishcitizenship8.htm

I know of one case of an Australian-born person with a British father, who spent
about 15 years living in the UK, and yet her children, born after she returned to
Australia, were not automatically British. And because they weren't registered
within 12 months of their birth (because most people haven't an idea that such a time
limit exists) they've no route to British citizenship at all, unless they go to live
in the UK.

Jeremy

>On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 06:14:32 +0000, onlyme <[email protected]> wrote:
    >We are here on a temp 457 visa and our baby was born here in Feb. We had to get her
    >a UK passport as she is deemed temporary as well as us. She is a pom even though
    >she's never been to pommieland.

Old Sep 4th 2002, 11:29 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

http://australianz.topcities.com/bri...tizenship8.htm

Good link - complex subject. What do you mean by 'registration' if your child is born outside the UK? (I assume something like going to the British Embassy and arranging a passport for the child?)

Cheers - Don
Old Sep 4th 2002, 8:03 pm
Jaj

Registration is actually obtaining British citizenship for the child. It's a
simplified version of naturalisation. If the child needs to be registered and is not,
the he doesn't get British citizenship.

Registration is applied for via the British Embassy of High Commission (if you're
overseas) but the application is actually sent to the Home Office in Liverpool, which
has jurisdiction over British nationality. (embassies are part of the Foreign Office
and don't make decisions in these matters).

However, if either parent (mother, or father if he's married to the mother) is
born or naturalised in the UK themself, then any child born overseas is
automatically British. There is no need to register to claim citizenship, or even
obtain a passport, but it does make things easier for the child to prove his
status later in life.

Jeremy

>On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 11:29:35 +0000, pleasancefamily
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >http://australianz.-
    >topcities.com/britishcitizenship8.htm

>Good link - complex subject. What do you mean by 'registration' if your child is
    >born outside the UK? (I assume something like going to the British Embassy and
    >arranging a passport for the child?)
    >Cheers - Don
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 4th 2002, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jeremy. Just to confirm that I understand what this is saying :

we are both British born and our Oz born child is a British citizen, end of chat ?? We got her a British passport when she was a month old.

Last edited by onlyme; Sep 4th 2002 at 11:37 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2002, 10:44 am
Jaj

As you're British citizen and UK born, your child is a British citizen
- end of story.

The problem may affect your future *grandchildren* unless they're born in the UK, or
their other parent is a UK born or naturalised British citizen.

Jeremy

>On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 23:08:01 +0000, onlyme <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Thanks Jeremy. Just to confirm that I understand what this is saying :
    >we are both British born and our Oz born child is a British citizen, end of chat ??
    >We got her a British passport when she was a month old.
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com