Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"Teddy bear place in quarantine" Daily Mail

"Teddy bear place in quarantine" Daily Mail

Old Aug 17th 2010, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough
Default "Teddy bear place in quarantine" Daily Mail

In the article, it said "Quarantine rules stipulate that animal matter - including wool and furs, as well as stuffed animals - are not allowed into the country."

Does it mean we really can't bring any stuff toys? Anybody experience this?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...tic-pests.html
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Teddy bear place in quarantine" Daily Mail

Originally Posted by Sushimania
In the article, it said "Quarantine rules stipulate that animal matter - including wool and furs, as well as stuffed animals - are not allowed into the country."

The only stuffed toys that have been reported as a problem on here are the really old bears that are stuffed with straw, and some of the lizard type toys filled with sand. If you have ördinary"stuffed toys they are fine - normal kapock-type stuffing, beanie babies, standard artifical fur, thats all fine.(and trust me I brought enough bears in to know the rules on them back to front!!)

A similar issue exists with rocking horses - a few people have had those with real horsehair manes/tails - remove the haur and they are fine, you can then get new manes and tails once you get here.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

When we came over 5 years ago, we brought a whole suitacase full of teddy bears, and as all our luggage was xrayed as we entered the country, we thought we would have some questions to answer, but nothing. Stuff animals on the other hand are a different kettle of fish - the real fur might be an issue.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

That's a bit over zealous I think! My nephew sent my son a cuddly rabbit through the post and it came through fine. When they say "Stuffed Animals" I'd assume the family pet that had been stuffed!!

I wouldn't include a teddy in the category of Stuffed Animal...
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I brought a few animals with me including the rabbit I've had since my first Christmas, so heaven knows what that was stuffed with back in those days!

I can see that straw stuffing would be a problem. I remember before we came out the hassle some people were having with Christmas nativity sets which contained straw together with plastic pine cones!

I had to leave a few things behind which had personal memories which is such a shame. There was my beautiful Conch shell which I dived for and the some carved wooden dolphins from another holiday. So they are now decorating my Mum's home, together with the sand lizzards! I also had to leave behind a straw hat which came from.....Oz!

As someone commented on that article we all have to spend hours cleaning our shoes before packing but you can just walk into the country with mud on your shoes! I'm surprised we aren't made to walk through sheep dip when we get off the plane!

Well if wool isn't allowed, how come all my jumpers got through?

Free the bear.......
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:36 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
I brought a few animals with me including the rabbit I've had since my first Christmas, so heaven knows what that was stuffed with back in those days!

I can see that straw stuffing would be a problem. I remember before we came out the hassle some people were having with Christmas nativity sets which contained straw together with plastic pine cones!

I had to leave a few things behind which had personal memories which is such a shame. There was my beautiful Conch shell which I dived for and the some carved wooden dolphins from another holiday. So they are now decorating my Mum's home, together with the sand lizzards! I also had to leave behind a straw hat which came from.....Oz!

As someone commented on that article we all have to spend hours cleaning our shoes before packing but you can just walk into the country with mud on your shoes! I'm surprised we aren't made to walk through sheep dip when we get off the plane!

Well if wool isn't allowed, how come all my jumpers got through?

Free the bear.......
I've seen the "sheep dip" thing happen - back in 2000 when the UK had the big foot and mouth outbreak everyone off UK flights had to have all their footwear disinfected, and all the luggage was searched for footwear, which was then disinfected. They also ask on the incoming pax card if you have been on a farm recently, if you tick "yes"then they may disinfect your footwear.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I came over during the foot and mouth but they didn't go that far with us! They had a sniffer dog as we got off the plane and it went straight for me as dear hubby had spilt milk from breakfast all over me!

I wonder if anyone does tick the farm box?
Old Aug 17th 2010, 7:00 am
Home and Happy

I came over during the foot and mouth but they didn't go that far with us! They had a sniffer dog as we got off the plane and it went straight for me as dear hubby had spilt milk from breakfast all over me!

I was on my way back to the UK, probably would've been through Melbourne, and the queues coming in were horrendous, with footwear everywhere - I was soooo glad I was going the other way! I've often wondered whether anyone actually ticks that box though.....
Old Aug 17th 2010, 7:44 am

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

At least Oz has border controls...Uk doesnt
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancastrian48
Yeah - I've never had to show my passport, or go through customs when entering the UK.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancastrian48
Yes they do.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

My elderly teddy (about 60 yo) got impounded, unstitched down his back, and was found to be stuffed with straw. They charged me $100 to have him irradiated before he could be released. Another old panda was unstitched but allowed through unscathed. It was all done very neatly and didn't damage the fabrics.

Properly treated fur and leather are fine. It's raw untreated skins which cause problems. Same with wool - straight off the sheep would be a problem. Properly processed and spun no problem.

Last edited by lesleys; Aug 17th 2010 at 10:38 am.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:34 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Yeah - I've never had to show my passport, or go through customs when entering the UK.
Well I din't know where you're arriving from but every time I've entered the UK I've had to show my passport, and as for walking through Customs I just hate knowing the eyes are watching you but you can't see them, very freaky!!!
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Well I din't know where you're arriving from but every time I've entered the UK I've had to show my passport, and as for walking through Customs I just hate knowing the eyes are watching you but you can't see them, very freaky!!!
I was using irony to indicate what a ridiculous statement lancastrian48 had made...
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.