Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tearing my hair out with disruptive child

Tearing my hair out with disruptive child

Old Dec 21st 2012, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tearing my hair out with disruptive child

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I am surprised at some of the replies. Give him a worm tablet? Dose him up with drugs? How about before giving a child worm tablets you have a medical professional check to see whether he actually has worms? And how is dosing up a child with phenergran good for him? Does he actually have a condition that needs treatment with a sedative?

In many countries (including US & UK), promethazine is contra-indicated in children less than 2 years age, and strongly cautioned against in children between 2 - 6 years age, due to problems with respiratory depression and sleep apnoea.
Agreed....

You can imagine the scene in 20 years time in the psychiatrists office...

"so when you displayed signs of anxiety due to relocating to the other side of the world after a lengthly period of separation from your father your mother drugged you???????"
Old Dec 26th 2012, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Agreed....

You can imagine the scene in 20 years time in the psychiatrists office...

"so when you displayed signs of anxiety due to relocating to the other side of the world after a lengthly period of separation from your father your mother drugged you???????"
No its much better for them to say and I quote

"yeah dad and I kicked back a cold one" it was a sip i tell ya a sip to taste.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

AJCS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by t9jla
Thank you for all your advice. Phenergan however seems to have done the trick, 5 nights uninterrupted sleep now and I'm hoping for number 6 tonight. I have drained the last of the bottle tonight though so we will have to see how tomorrow goes........ I'm pleased to say the behaviour is going in the right direction too. There is hope yet for me and the rest of you.
Im glad your getting your sleep!

There is no way I would give my daughter medication just so I could get a full nights sleep!
Old Dec 27th 2012, 3:50 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJCS

There is no way I would give my daughter medication just so I could get a full nights sleep!
Really - try keeping the same stance after a week or more with little or no sleep.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

AJCS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Really - try keeping the same stance after a week or more with little or no sleep.
Yes - Really!!

My 3 year old going through a phase of waking up at least twice a night, every night! I can be up sitting with her till she goes back to sleep then take the next hour till she goes back to sleep then sometimes it can happen again. Its called part of being a mother!
Old Dec 27th 2012, 4:01 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe both mother and child are sleeping now? If so, the health, and behaviour of both will improve.

Sleep deprivation is very debilitating for both.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 4:07 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - Really!!

My 3 year old going through a phase of waking up at least twice a night, every night! I can be up sitting with her till she goes back to sleep then take the next hour till she goes back to sleep then sometimes it can happen again. Its called part of being a mother!
And when the young spark was little, he slept from 4am til 4.30am every day, and that was the only time he slept. Until he was sedated by the GP because his lack of sleep was not good for either of us

Edit - and I wouldn't be a bad mother for doing so.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008

Quoting whom??????
Old Dec 27th 2012, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

When DD was little she woke screaming every 2 hours. She had very bad eczema and psoriasis which needed steroids and bandages. She did this every night, though after 18 months when she was diagnosed as lactose intolerant and we changed her diet, it became every 3 then every 4 hours, but lasted until she was 5 years old. At one point I was so desperate for sleep that I asked the doctor for knock-out drops, so I sympathise with those who are in the same poition.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Quoting whom??????
Who do you think
Old Dec 27th 2012, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Who do you think
I have no idea?
Old Dec 27th 2012, 7:34 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar experience, I think it was on here. I once mentioned how I let my boys sip from a glass of beer to put them off which it did and I was more or less accused of forcing my kids to drink alcohol
Old Dec 28th 2012, 9:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
And when the young spark was little, he slept from 4am til 4.30am every day, and that was the only time he slept. Until he was sedated by the GP because his lack of sleep was not good for either of us

Edit - and I wouldn't be a bad mother for doing so.
Originally Posted by carolinephillips
When DD was little she woke screaming every 2 hours. She had very bad eczema and psoriasis which needed steroids and bandages. She did this every night, though after 18 months when she was diagnosed as lactose intolerant and we changed her diet, it became every 3 then every 4 hours, but lasted until she was 5 years old. At one point I was so desperate for sleep that I asked the doctor for knock-out drops, so I sympathise with those who are in the same poition.
The difference here is that you both sought medical advice from a medical professional regarding your child's sleep problems. You didn't take advice from a bunch of strangers on the internet or just load them up with potentially dangerous drugs or give them worm tablets (FFS who does that?) without a valid reason.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The difference here is that you both sought medical advice from a medical professional regarding your child's sleep problems. You didn't take advice from a bunch of strangers on the internet or just load them up with potentially dangerous drugs or give them worm tablets (FFS who does that?) without a valid reason.
And OP had previously had a prescription in the UK so I guess that was the thinking. I do know that if you're continually getting little or no sleep, you'll try almost anything just to be able to grab a decent sleep.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

Like it or not, drugging kids to modify their behaviour is fairly common in our society (24,000 people under 19 were on ADHD medications in NSW in 2010, out of a school population of 1.1m, i.e. 1 student in 50).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.