Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

teaching in perth

teaching in perth

Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

leep31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default teaching in perth

Hi guys and girls my name is Lee. My partner and I are moving to perth next year on a 457 visa. Ive currently got astrum recruitment agency gathering a collection of job opportunities together on mine and Down Under Tradies behalf to whom I've completed my OH&S card and electrical GAP training with. However we can't seem to be able to find out whether Kerrie will be Ok to teach in perth, what qualifications are reconised, if she needs to do a GAP course etc. I've been in contact with the WA education department but didn't really get straight answers. Any information will be greatly appriciated or links to other posts on this subject, I have searchedthe internet and this forum briefly but not quite answered what we need to know. Kerries has gained qualified teacher status through a graduate training program and has been teaching for the last 7 years mainly within key stage one but is trained throughout the whole primary age range. cheers
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: teaching in perth

If that means she was on the job trained as a teacher then she will not be eligible to teach. She would need to have done a 3 year degree plus a one year PGCE as I understand it. All Australian teachers have to be 4 year trained.

On a temporary visa she is not going to get much more than casual relief if she is very lucky (and is deemed to be qualified, which I would not be certain of) and in Perth she is going to be in a highly competitive environment so she may have to look at an alternative career as doing the one year Post grad cert here will cost a lot as she will be an international student.

You might want to check out the teaching forum on this board
Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

SRDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, unfortunately a GTP course isn't recognised outside the UK. She could maybe look into becoming a teachers aide?

Susan
Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

There is a lot of out-of-school tuition going on in Perth, pm me for details.