Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Teaching degree in Aus

Teaching degree in Aus

Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of
Default Teaching degree in Aus

Hi all

This is a question for teachers or even just people who know teachers! Reason being:
I plan to do a Master of Teaching in Australia and am seriously struggling to pin down the admin teams of a couple of Unis I have enquired with about how to get the right qualifications for my secondary subject.

I plan to do the necessary study through open university and am struggling to pin down how many and what types of module I need to do to be correctly qualified.

One uni in Perth intimated that I'd need 2 modules at 3rd year, which is fine. But I actually want to study in Adelaide and all I can get from flinders is that I need 6 'topics' in my secondary subject, with apparently no connection (or at least none they seem willing to tell me about!!) to degree modules (it felt very strongly like you'd be ok if you did all your study at flinders but would be done for otherwise...and nada when I enquired how they dealt with international students, who the course is open to)

So anyone who has obtained their teaching qualification in oz or just knows someone who has I'd be really grateful to find out the secret - don't wanna waste my time with OU cos they aren't cheap these days!

Thank you very much in anticipation

Abi
Old Sep 9th 2013, 10:55 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching degree in Aus

Originally Posted by abi31
Hi all

This is a question for teachers or even just people who know teachers! Reason being:
I plan to do a Master of Teaching in Australia and am seriously struggling to pin down the admin teams of a couple of Unis I have enquired with about how to get the right qualifications for my secondary subject.

I plan to do the necessary study through open university and am struggling to pin down how many and what types of module I need to do to be correctly qualified.

One uni in Perth intimated that I'd need 2 modules at 3rd year, which is fine. But I actually want to study in Adelaide and all I can get from flinders is that I need 6 'topics' in my secondary subject, with apparently no connection (or at least none they seem willing to tell me about!!) to degree modules (it felt very strongly like you'd be ok if you did all your study at flinders but would be done for otherwise...and nada when I enquired how they dealt with international students, who the course is open to)

So anyone who has obtained their teaching qualification in oz or just knows someone who has I'd be really grateful to find out the secret - don't wanna waste my time with OU cos they aren't cheap these days!

Thank you very much in anticipation

Abi
Hi Abi,

I'll try and help as I'm actually in my last semester of a Master of Teaching in Spec. Ed. at Flinders Uni, however mine is from R-7, not secondary. I've read and reread your post several times but am still slightly confused, (big day at uni).
First thing I'm unsure of is whether or not you want to study for your Masters through Flinders or the O.U.? Or are you still at undergrad level and want to know how best to structure your degree to get on a Master's course?
There are 2 students on my course who will qualify to teach at secondary level and 2 further students who are 'international' in status, whose brains I can probe for specific info. What I do know for certain is that international fees are very expensive. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

abi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud ofabi31 has much to be proud of

Thank rosscov

I want to do my MTeach at flinders - I have a BA in eng Lang/lit and that will be my major. But to be a secondary teacher I need a secondary subject, which is the bit I'm stuck on. I should be in oz in a couple of years and want to use that time wisely - I'm not getting any younger and don't want to delay commencing my teacher training too much longer so rather than getting the secondary subject requirements from flinders I want to be set to go with everything I need as soon as I get there.

I won't be an international student - I am an Aus citizen so will wait long enough to qualify as resident - but figure that as far as the transferable qualifications I will be bringing over I would be 'as' an international student.

Thanks - I hope that explains it!
Old Sep 11th 2013, 9:24 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abi31
Thank rosscov

I want to do my MTeach at flinders - I have a BA in eng Lang/lit and that will be my major. But to be a secondary teacher I need a secondary subject, which is the bit I'm stuck on. I should be in oz in a couple of years and want to use that time wisely - I'm not getting any younger and don't want to delay commencing my teacher training too much longer so rather than getting the secondary subject requirements from flinders I want to be set to go with everything I need as soon as I get there.

I won't be an international student - I am an Aus citizen so will wait long enough to qualify as resident - but figure that as far as the transferable qualifications I will be bringing over I would be 'as' an international student.

Thanks - I hope that explains it!
Hi Abi,

I spoke to a friend today who is graduating with me, but to teach at secondary level and briefly explained your situation. She was in a similar situation to you, but with an undergrad degree in drama, so that became her major, but had no second subject. This is why she decided to make her Masters in special education as from what I can understand, this became her second subject. Although by nature it is more of an understanding of disability and learning difficulties and how to accommodate them in an inclusive educational environment than a classroom subject that you teach, (hope that makes sense)!
Perhaps this could be an option for you too, as it would seem that this route would require no further study at under grad level. Having a background in special Ed also makes you a slightly more attractive prospect in a very, very competitive market - 600 applications for one position at my daughter's category 7 state school!
Sorry I can't be more help, but fire away if you have any other questions and I'll see if I can she'd a little more light on the situation.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

That's very helpful thanks for looking into it for me

Abi