Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax times - A question

Tax times - A question

Old Jun 25th 2014, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light
Default Tax times - A question

I work two jobs, a permy and a temp, well ad hoc. Just done my tax calcs for the year 2013-2014. Its seems i owe $2314.00 bucks using the comprehensive ATO calc for 12-13 same as this year. I am a nurse, is it worth me going to a tax agent to try an reduce this amount? Or just pay it, take it on the chin. I am claiming for nothing. I get the Citycat to and from work, pay for my own tights and shoes. Got my registration fees here and in the UK to pay. Just a bit gobsmacked i owe such a large amount. Would you go to an agent or just pay it?
Old Jun 25th 2014, 4:26 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax times - A question

Are you claiming for everything you're entitled to? Can you claim for the registration fees? What about income protection insurance? Education costs? If you google 'ato guide for nurses' you'll get a guide from the ato about common claims that could be relevant to you.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcab
I work two jobs, a permy and a temp, well ad hoc. Just done my tax calcs for the year 2013-2014. Its seems i owe $2314.00 bucks using the comprehensive ATO calc for 12-13 same as this year. I am a nurse, is it worth me going to a tax agent to try an reduce this amount? Or just pay it, take it on the chin. I am claiming for nothing. I get the Citycat to and from work, pay for my own tights and shoes. Got my registration fees here and in the UK to pay. Just a bit gobsmacked i owe such a large amount. Would you go to an agent or just pay it?
We all pay for our own travel to work and tights and shoes.

To be honest, I don't know why people assume they should always get tax back. I have always had a bill myself and as an employee, there really are not that many things you can claim a deduction for, if any.

Why do you think you are under paying during the year though? Perhaps it is worth getting to the bottom of that so you don't get a sudden one off bill next year.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
Are you claiming for everything you're entitled to? Can you claim for the registration fees? What about income protection insurance? Education costs? If you google 'ato guide for nurses' you'll get a guide from the ato about common claims that could be relevant to you.
Thanks I will have to google any entitlements. Yes I can claim for tights and shoes as a nurse and registration fees and education. Brings my bill down by a few squid.

Last edited by blackcab; Jun 25th 2014 at 10:37 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 10:35 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Are you using the ATO's Etax online program ? You can claim for all work related expenses in there.

Are you claiming for Laundry for your work clothes or any publications you buy that are related to your job ? Do work contact you on your mobile phone - claim some of your phone bill back. Do you use the internet to check your rosters or work related stuff - claim some of that back. Membership fees to professional organisations. Anything you buy work related - special pens, upside down watch

What about work related travel expenses to exhibitions, seminars, off-site meetings etc.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spuddyo
Are you using the ATO's Etax online program ? You can claim for all work related expenses in there.

Are you claiming for Laundry for your work clothes or any publications you buy that are related to your job ? Do work contact you on your mobile phone - claim some of your phone bill back. Do you use the internet to check your rosters or work related stuff - claim some of that back. Membership fees to professional organisations. Anything you buy work related - special pens, upside down watch

What about work related travel expenses to exhibitions, seminars, off-site meetings etc.
Brilliant post thanks for your positive feedback.

I will see what else I can claim for and see if its worth paying a tax agent.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

You will need to pay tax whatever "work related expenses" you end up claiming due to you working two jobs, with one "ad hoc" as you state. I have been in that situation for many years and as such I do not claim the tax free threshold from any of my employers. They all take out maximum tax and then come tax time, rather than having to pay I end up with a reasonable refund. Yes, I know I am basically lending the Government my money interest free :-) but it works for me.

I worked for one season as an H & R Block Tax Agent many years ago. Be very careful who you choose to go to. Many of my colleagues were less than impressive in their knowledge of the applicable/allowable deductions. I left after one tax season due to my inability to come to terms with the "she'll be right" attitude of the staff I came into contact with. They asked me to stay on and train others - No thanks...
You sound like an intelligent person. Read through all of the information made available by the ATO and do it yourself. Be especially wary of the uniform/laundering deduction regulations and make sure you keep meticulous records. You may never be audited but then again, you may...
Old Jun 25th 2014, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jackieh23
You will need to pay tax whatever "work related expenses" you end up claiming due to you working two jobs, with one "ad hoc" as you state. I have been in that situation for many years and as such I do not claim the tax free threshold from any of my employers. They all take out maximum tax and then come tax time, rather than having to pay I end up with a reasonable refund. Yes, I know I am basically lending the Government my money interest free :-) but it works for me.

I worked for one season as an H & R Block Tax Agent many years ago. Be very careful who you choose to go to. Many of my colleagues were less than impressive in their knowledge of the applicable/allowable deductions. I left after one tax season due to my inability to come to terms with the "she'll be right" attitude of the staff I came into contact with. They asked me to stay on and train others - No thanks...
You sound like an intelligent person. Read through all of the information made available by the ATO and do it yourself. Be especially wary of the uniform/laundering deduction regulations and make sure you keep meticulous records. You may never be audited but then again, you may...
Brilliant....thanks....

I agree with all the above. To be honest I would only claim legitimate. I would not claim laundry or anything I deem bordering taking the p*ss. No point for a few bucks. Great post thanks.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 10:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Claiming laundry isn't taking the p***, its legit. Its not much but every little bit helps.

While you tax gurus are about, registration fees for bodies like AHPRA for nurses are claimable I believe? A lot of nurses also stay registered in the Uk, though they aren't working or paying tax there. Is the UK reg fee claimable on an Aus tax return?
Old Jun 27th 2014, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the help. I have another question. The pay cycle here in Australia, is it prevailing?

My next pay date is Wednesday July 2nd. This is pay for hours worked between 9th June to the 22nd June. This is my temp job for the public sector.

My permy job, my next pay date is July 9th, this is for hours worked 23rd June to 6th July.

Both pay dates reside in the new 14-5 tax year, but are paid for hours worked in the majority in the old 13-14 tax year. Will either of these sums be included in my 13-14 tax year pay cycle or the new 14-15 tax year pay cycle?

My guess is both will be included in the new 14-15 pay cycle.

Thanks
Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Claiming laundry isn't taking the p***, its legit. Its not much but every little bit helps.

While you tax gurus are about, registration fees for bodies like AHPRA for nurses are claimable I believe? A lot of nurses also stay registered in the Uk, though they aren't working or paying tax there. Is the UK reg fee claimable on an Aus tax return?
I claim my UK IET membership on my tax returns
Old Jun 27th 2014, 6:04 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the help. I have another question. The pay cycle here in Australia, is it prevailing?

My next pay date is Wednesday July 2nd. This is pay for hours worked between 9th June to the 22nd June. This is my temp job for the public sector.

My permy job, my next pay date is July 9th, this is for hours worked 23rd June to 6th July.

Both pay dates reside in the new 14-5 tax year, but are paid for hours worked in the majority in the old 13-14 tax year. Will either of these sums be included in my 13-14 tax year pay cycle or the new 14-15 tax year pay cycle?

My guess is both will be included in the new 14-15 pay cycle.

Thanks
Your group certificates that your employers will give you will have your total earnings and tax paid up to and including 30 June. Anything earned from 1 July will be included on next year's certificates.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Stop claiming 2 lots of tax free allowance.Two jobs does not mean 2 lots of $18200 tax free.One employer needs to be told to tax you from the first $,not from any $$ over $350 per week.

Geordie down under
Old Jun 28th 2014, 5:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Old Jun 28th 2014, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by swans
Stop claiming 2 lots of tax free allowance.Two jobs does not mean 2 lots of $18200 tax free.One employer needs to be told to tax you from the first $,not from any $$ over $350 per week.

Geordie down under
I'm not lol. Got the burns from the flame-ing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.