Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tax Q, on house rented in UK

tax Q, on house rented in UK

Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about
Default tax Q, on house rented in UK

Hi i'm sure many are in the same boat. Just doing my tax return for our house rented out in the UK. Does anyone know, how much tax you pay on your profit and if you get a certain amount of earnings tax free?

Thank you in advance
Old Jul 20th 2010, 4:43 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax Q, on house rented in UK

Originally Posted by iainandsam
Hi i'm sure many are in the same boat. Just doing my tax return for our house rented out in the UK. Does anyone know, how much tax you pay on your profit and if you get a certain amount of earnings tax free?

Thank you in advance
Which tax return are you doing, UK or Oz?
Are you PR, Citizen or Temp?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

I've just done mine.

I'm assuming you are doing Aus return.

The difference between your rental income and all the allowable expenses (of which there are many) counts as income (what you called "profit", I think).
Check NAT 1729 on the ATO website for more details. In my case I could claim enough to show a loss.

The tax-free allowance is $6,000, I think? Others will correct me if I am wrong there.

If you use e-tax it is all visible and you can see straight away if you are liable for any tax. It is a bit daunting the first time, but after that I've found it gets easier.

And if you make a "genuine" mistake (rather than a deliberate msitake to avoid tax) the ATO won't hold it against you.

Good luck!
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 4:43 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killerhales
I've just done mine.

I'm assuming you are doing Aus return.

The difference between your rental income and all the allowable expenses (of which there are many) counts as income (what you called "profit", I think).
Check NAT 1729 on the ATO website for more details. In my case I could claim enough to show a loss.

The tax-free allowance is $6,000, I think? Others will correct me if I am wrong there.

If you use e-tax it is all visible and you can see straight away if you are liable for any tax. It is a bit daunting the first time, but after that I've found it gets easier.

And if you make a "genuine" mistake (rather than a deliberate msitake to avoid tax) the ATO won't hold it against you.

Good luck!
And dont forget to set a "cost base" for CGT in case you sell in the future, as I understand it this should be the value of the property when you became an Australian resident converted to AUD, and then theres depreciation.. A tax agent might be a good idea but if you fancy going it alone here is the 2010 NAT 1729

http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downlo...1N17290610.pdf

Last edited by ex_exile; Jul 22nd 2010 at 4:48 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:41 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be letting out my UK house when I leave. I'm looking at getting some work carried out on the house to make it more "tenant ready". Perhaps a stupid question but suppose I get the work done now while I'm still living in the house (and will be until end Oct). Will I be able to offset the costs against the taxable income that'll kick in (hopefully) from November?
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:01 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I'll be letting out my UK house when I leave. I'm looking at getting some work carried out on the house to make it more "tenant ready". Perhaps a stupid question but suppose I get the work done now while I'm still living in the house (and will be until end Oct). Will I be able to offset the costs against the taxable income that'll kick in (hopefully) from November?
No

As I understand it you can only claim expenses if your property is "availible to rent" so costs involved in getting it ready to rent fall outside of this. If you did the work once you had rented the property you may be ok but the most improvements get classified as capital works and need to be depreciated over time.

There is a complicated CGT / capital works thing that allows you to claim un depreciated costs once you sell the property but you would need a tax agent to work through that.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 4:48 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
No

As I understand it you can only claim expenses if your property is "availible to rent" so costs involved in getting it ready to rent fall outside of this. If you did the work once you had rented the property you may be ok but the most improvements get classified as capital works and need to be depreciated over time.

There is a complicated CGT / capital works thing that allows you to claim un depreciated costs once you sell the property but you would need a tax agent to work through that.
That makes sense. Thanks.