Tax and PR

Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:59 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax and PR

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
You don't need a valuation each tax year as you don't have to declare it's value just the income you derive from the asset.
The exception would be if you were retired and claiming an Ozzie pension then they would want to know the value of all your assets.
Good to know ta So I just tick the "yes" box to the question about owning a foreign asset worth more than $50k and then if it gets sold it'll just be CGT on the difference between that price and the initial becoming PR/acquisition valuation? Minus any source CGT in Ireland?

Last edited by ROMFT_WO2RN; Dec 6th 2012 at 11:04 pm. Reason: more!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Good to know ta So I just tick the "yes" box to the question about owning a foreign asset worth more than $50k and then if it gets sold it'll just be CGT on the difference between that price and the initial becoming PR/acquisition valuation? Minus any source CGT in Ireland?
Correct.

You also get a 50% CGT allowance if you hold the asset for 12 months from the time you become tax resident in Oz.
Not sure how you handle the CGT liability in country of Asset.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 12:09 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a valuation each tax year as you don't have to declare it's value just the income you derive from the asset.
The exception would be if you were retired and claiming an Ozzie pension then they would want to know the value of all your assets.
Do you know if you can offset interest payments and/or home improvements on a UK mortgage against income in Australia at the end of the tax year?

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. Perth's pretty nice and I'm bumming around sailing at all the yacht clubs until I get my own boat back and head off back to the Whitsundays. Bit of tennis at Kings Park. Sort of looking for a part time job but not with any major intent. Relieved to have PR now and hopefully I can do another year (is it less 90 days)? for citizenship....
Old Dec 7th 2012, 12:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I'm in Subiaco - it's great (except perhaps for the flies) !! Like the Renaissance compared to FNQ.
Congrats and welcome to Perth TE

I meant it about the whinging........
Old Dec 7th 2012, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Do you know if you can offset interest payments and/or home improvements on a UK mortgage against income in Australia at the end of the tax year?
I believe you can now offset interest payments, rates, insurance, (NOT improvements as that is a capital cost) etc for rental property abroad against your Oz income.
Tax system here changed about 4 years ago, prior to that you had 4 different classes and expenses in one class could only offset income from the same class.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 1:33 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Correct.

You also get a 50% CGT allowance if you hold the asset for 12 months from the time you become tax resident in Oz.
Not sure how you handle the CGT liability in country of Asset.
Cheers will be holding it until the old man kicks the bucket, so hopefully a while yet
Old Dec 8th 2012, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
If you want to look into it search subdivision 855-B on the ATO website, this outlines CGT consequences when you become an Australian resident.

Don't know your circumstances but don't forget tax residency is based on criteria such as physical presence, domicile, the 183 day rule etc and not really your visa status.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 3:32 am
Shiny Arse Know All

Originally Posted by louH
If you want to look into it search subdivision 855-B on the ATO website, this outlines CGT consequences when you become an Australian resident.

Don't know your circumstances but don't forget tax residency is based on criteria such as physical presence, domicile, the 183 day rule etc and not really your visa status.
Ta,
Old Dec 10th 2012, 3:22 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you can now offset interest payments, rates, insurance, (NOT improvements as that is a capital cost) etc for rental property abroad against your Oz income.
Tax system here changed about 4 years ago, prior to that you had 4 different classes and expenses in one class could only offset income from the same class.
You can also offset your travel costs to check on the property, but, you will need to ensure that everything on the trip was purely for that purpose and not just as aside.
I also understand that it is the interest charges you can offset but no the repayment charges. I have a repayment mortgage back in UK and am renting my property out but I am losing 400 pounds a month between the mortgage payments and the rental but I don't think I can offset that.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 3:22 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

oh...BTW TE, congrats on PR...only 2 months behind me!!
Old Dec 10th 2012, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paddyo
I also understand that it is the interest charges you can offset but no the repayment charges.
That is correct. How about changing the mortgage to intrest only that way all your payments will be tax deductable (and it's the most efficient for an investment property).
Can you claim depreciation on properties in the uk?? and their contents, carpets, central heating, fitted kitchen, etc??
Old Dec 10th 2012, 11:18 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

I'm looking into changing my Mortgage into Interest only...but I am already halfway through and feel a slight reticence to lose all of its increased value and sale value. Bit of a rock and a hard place at the moment.
The problem is I do not have enough for a deposit over here and am 50, getting a brand new mortgage from scratch makes me nervous.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paddyo
I'm looking into changing my Mortgage into Interest only...but I am already halfway through and feel a slight reticence to lose all of its increased value and sale value.
I don't understand your reluctance to change to a intrest only mortgage as you don't loose anything. It dosn't affect the value of the property it just maximises your tax deductions and minimises your costs, it's a win win.
If you are half way through your mortgage it means that a significent part of your payments are capital in nature and not tax deductable and so only paying interest on the balance of the mortgage outstanding will mean a significent reduction in your monthly costs.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 12:46 am
Social Grenade Thrower

er....but if I switch to Interest Only then I will still have whats left of the Repayment at the end of the term, i.e. I will have less capital at the end. Am I missing something here? For example, a mortgage is 200000, is have re-payed 100000 (just figuratively speaking here and not realistic) so far. If I switch to a Interest Only mortgage then at the end of the term I can sell the house but still owe 100000 of the repayment loan?
Old Dec 11th 2012, 12:47 am
Social Grenade Thrower

oh TE....have hijacked your thread here a bit...apologies!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.