Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax laws... bringing money to aus

Tax laws... bringing money to aus

Old Jan 6th 2018, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax laws... bringing money to aus

Hi guys. Sorry if this is a silly question. Does anyone know what the tax laws are in regards to bringing a large sum of money over to aus? I have a couple of hundred K to start setting me up over there so wanted to know whats taxed. My tired little brain can't filter the information at the moment and I'm reading conflicting information
Old Jan 6th 2018, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax laws... bringing money to aus

If its after tax income there will not be any tax at all in Australia.

Large transfers sometimes attract the attention of the tax office so I would make sure you have documents demonstrating how the money was earned, but I doubt they would bother in a case like this.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Clacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond reputeClacfart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anzen12
If its after tax income there will not be any tax at all in Australia.

Large transfers sometimes attract the attention of the tax office so I would make sure you have documents demonstrating how the money was earned, but I doubt they would bother in a case like this.
Thank you for your kind reply
Old Jan 8th 2018, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clacfart
Hi guys. Sorry if this is a silly question. Does anyone know what the tax laws are in regards to bringing a large sum of money over to aus? I have a couple of hundred K to start setting me up over there so wanted to know whats taxed. My tired little brain can't filter the information at the moment and I'm reading conflicting information
You pay tax on money you earn, not on what you already own.