Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasteless tomatoes in QLD

Tasteless tomatoes in QLD

Old Oct 8th 2015, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tasteless tomatoes in QLD

Just an observation about Australian produce; supermarket fruit and veg is well presented - no doubt, but some of the flavour profiles are utterly underwhelming.

Tomatoes: Sour if lucky, but usually just tasteless. I am stunned that Australia does not produce quality tomatoes.

Chilies: Lamentable chili breeds available. The chili touted as 'birds eye' are not. I want to get the type of birds eye I could get in England.

Oranges: I don't waste my time any more.

Oysters: Of dubious quality. I never quite trust an Oyster in Brisbane (Oysters are not strictly a vegetable of course, but seeing as I am in whinging mode I may as well). Also, is it possible to get fresh non green lip mussels?

This may sound like a petty complaint but I don't find the above workable. What I need are advice on where to source decent vegetables around the Brisbane area.

In contrast I do appreciate that certain produce are outstanding. Avocados, mangoes etc are exceptional in quality. Nor do I have complaints about dairy which also is excellent and meat which is available cheaply and of reasonable to good quality.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 12:45 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasteless tomatoes in QLD

There are plenty of farmer's markets around Brisbane where you can get good fruit and vegetables (oysters and mussels are not on my shopping list. Northside my local ones are Nundah (Sunday Mornings) and Carseldine (Saturday mornings) and southside I've been to Boggo Road which isn't bad.

Occasionally the truss tomatoes in the supermarkets aren't too bad, but the standard ones are uniformly hopeless.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 2:08 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
There are plenty of farmer's markets around Brisbane where you can get good fruit and vegetables (oysters and mussels are not on my shopping list. Northside my local ones are Nundah (Sunday Mornings) and Carseldine (Saturday mornings) and southside I've been to Boggo Road which isn't bad.

Occasionally the truss tomatoes in the supermarkets aren't too bad, but the standard ones are uniformly hopeless.
Tomatoes from the big supermarkets are revolting - they're held in cold storage and ripened with gas. I buy mine direct from the grower.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Tomatoes from the big supermarkets are revolting - they're held in cold storage and ripened with gas. I buy mine direct from the grower.
Which grower?
Old Oct 8th 2015, 5:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
Which grower?
She's in Perth......I agree about Queensland tomatoes but Perth is too far to travel to get some good ones!! I love Tassie ones, but same issue there.....!
Only place I've ever had oysters is Tassie too, they were out of this world. Not been tempted to try them up here.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 5:14 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Which grower?
A nice Italian man up the Brookton Highway. In Perth
Old Oct 8th 2015, 6:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Just an observation about Australian produce; supermarket fruit and veg is well presented - no doubt, but some of the flavour profiles are utterly underwhelming.

Tomatoes: Sour if lucky, but usually just tasteless. I am stunned that Australia does not produce quality tomatoes.

Chilies: Lamentable chili breeds available. The chili touted as 'birds eye' are not. I want to get the type of birds eye I could get in England.

Oysters: Of dubious quality. I never quite trust an Oyster in Brisbane (Oysters are not strictly a vegetable of course, but seeing as I am in whinging mode I may as well). Also, is it possible to get fresh non green lip mussels?

This may sound like a petty complaint but I don't find the above workable. What I need are advice on where to source decent vegetables around the Brisbane area.

In contrast I do appreciate that certain produce are outstanding. Avocados, mangoes etc are exceptional in quality. Nor do I have complaints about dairy which also is excellent and meat which is available cheaply and of reasonable to good quality.
Don't et oysters and will agree about oranges but supermarket tomatoes are equally as bad in the UK

Strawberries can be hit and miss but they are over there too. Best I've ever had were from the US

We're on holiday at the moment and yesterday I needed some lemons - $1.50 each at Coles. They grow wild FFS

One thing you struggle to get is really large potatoes for doing jacket spuds

Plenty of quality markets to get fruit and vegetables, so no need to buy the supermarket
Old Oct 8th 2015, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I had an amazing tomato in South West France a couple of weeks back. I couldn't believe a plain old tomato could taste so good. I wanted to ask the owner where he gets them but he took great offence at us turning 2 tables into one so I figured a tomato conversation was off the table.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 10:01 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I had an amazing tomato in South West France a couple of weeks back. I couldn't believe a plain old tomato could taste so good. I wanted to ask the owner where he gets them but he took great offence at us turning 2 tables into one so I figured a tomato conversation was off the table.
Standard UK supermarket tomatos are disgusting and tasteless, always buy the vine ripened ones, they at least have some taste. The cherry tomatoes are much tastier, and, if you go to places like M&S and Waitrose you get named varieties that are usually so much nicer, even better if you buy them at a reduced price because they are close to their sell by date.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Standard UK supermarket tomatos are disgusting and tasteless, always buy the vine ripened ones, they at least have some taste. The cherry tomatoes are much tastier, and, if you go to places like M&S and Waitrose you get named varieties that are usually so much nicer, even better if you buy them at a reduced price because they are close to their sell by date.
It is amazing what a good tomato can do.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Come to Italy-local grown toms are amazing!
Old Oct 8th 2015, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Get a couple of buckets or pots and some tomato plants from Bunnings or wherever stick in pots and water ( liquid feed as well ) ,that's as much as there is to it. Queensland has lovely weather for tomato growing much the year round and my home grown ones are lush as out !
Old Oct 9th 2015, 6:13 am
Just Joined

gorjulin is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried growing my own toms ........ no way!, too many Brisbane bugs like to eat them too !! I found the best toms I can get are the different varieties of small ones at Coles or Woolies! ....... tiny cherry, baby Romano, (Especially) Perino red or gold. As good as any UK supermarket tom I ever had.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 10:44 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
In general I would agree - yes.

But overall the BEST tomatoes by far CAN be found in a supermarket, but they're not the generic ones.

Check out the Kumato tomatoes at Woolies - they're the ones that have this almost wine-like, going into dark greenish colour that's similar to a very ripe avocado.

Once you try Kumato other tomatoes cease to exist.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong state mate.

Best food in Aus is in Tasmania..... It's possibly overall and across the board up there with the best in the world. Seems that nature has to have cooler conditions as part of the climate to produce fine quality food.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.