Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (continued!)

Tasmania (continued!)

Old Nov 1st 2008, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

-Billybob- will become famous soon enough-Billybob- will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Here you go mate
Attached Thumbnails Tasmania (continued!)-dsc_0152.jpg  
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 12:58 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi Back from The Lakes today....just catching up on here...
How was the Craft fair this weekend? (my kind of thing!). Did you buy anything?
Hello the craft fair was fab it is massive filled a full day going round it, I loved it soooo many nice things to buy but I reined myself in. I saw some things then thought might see something better and can always come back, by end of the day I had talked myself out of most of them, Colin was very thankful for that I did buy some great tea from a company in Hobart www.artoftea.com.au Just having a cup of Monks Pear it is gorgeous

the weather has been fantastic, so hot yesterday beautiful, went to a bonfire last night up at some friends, they live on 5 acres looking out to sea great night

its a long weekend here plus Melbourne cup day on Tuesday so going to a ladies lunch for that.

Glad you had a good trip back to the UK.
Just arrived home from The Lakes today ourselves. Arrived last Saturday to all the flooding that was going on - it actually took us over 8 hours to get from where we live to Windermere. The day we arrived (Saturday) was the day the Marathon on the Fell's was cancelled and loads of participants were missing due to the unexpected turn in weather conditions...thankfully they were eventually accounted for though.

Here's a pic of some of the flooding where we were staying beside Lake Windermere - thankfully the water didn't reach our cabin! The other photo is at Bowness - the ticket booth for boat trips was standing in water!
There was also snow whilst we were there - hence the 3rd pic....

Attachment 74878

Attachment 74879

Attachment 74880

Did have a great time though - Andy had never been to Cumbria and was amazed by the countryside there...it's certainly impressive.
I did think about you, saw the floods on the BBC website bloody hell!

still great to hear you had a good time, it really is a beautiful part of England
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Possums
Hello the craft fair was fab it is massive filled a full day going round it, I loved it soooo many nice things to buy but I reined myself in. I saw some things then thought might see something better and can always come back, by end of the day I had talked myself out of most of them, Colin was very thankful for that I did buy some great tea from a company in Hobart www.artoftea.com.au Just having a cup of Monks Pear it is gorgeous

the weather has been fantastic, so hot yesterday beautiful, went to a bonfire last night up at some friends, they live on 5 acres looking out to sea great night

its a long weekend here plus Melbourne cup day on Tuesday so going to a ladies lunch for that.

I did think about you, saw the floods on the BBC website bloody hell!

still great to hear you had a good time, it really is a beautiful part of England
Hi

The craft fair sounds lovely, I usually have to take a set amount of money with me to those sorts of things otherwise I get carried away!

The weather has been beautiful hasn't it? Although we have a fair old sea breeze keeping the temps down a bit but all this sunshine is good for the soul!

I went horse riding with my daughter today, it was just perfect
Up early tomorrow morning as I'm starting a keep fit course held in the local park at 6.30 am

Enjoy your Mebourne Cup celebrations

Sam
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you had a good trip back to the UK.
Just arrived home from The Lakes today ourselves. Arrived last Saturday to all the flooding that was going on - it actually took us over 8 hours to get from where we live to Windermere. The day we arrived (Saturday) was the day the Marathon on the Fell's was cancelled and loads of participants were missing due to the unexpected turn in weather conditions...thankfully they were eventually accounted for though.

Here's a pic of some of the flooding where we were staying beside Lake Windermere - thankfully the water didn't reach our cabin! The other photo is at Bowness - the ticket booth for boat trips was standing in water!
There was also snow whilst we were there - hence the 3rd pic....

Attachment 74878

Attachment 74879

Attachment 74880

Did have a great time though - Andy had never been to Cumbria and was amazed by the countryside there...it's certainly impressive.
They sure did have some rain, we heard about the marathon runners being lost in the awful weather on the news here. My mum in Warwickshire had alot of snow and really cold weather too, which is quite early even for the UK.

The Lake District is really beautiful, isn't it? Were the Autumn colours in blaze?

Seems very odd to think of Autumn in the UK when it is getting wamer by the day here, its especially nice to have the days lengthening as we arrived in Tas in June, just after the longest day in the UK, arriving to dark nights by 5pm here, it was a shock to the system, more so than the weather change. It's getting dark about 8.30 pm now on a good day.

Take care

Sam
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Glad you enjoyed the craft fair I've read on a site once about events in Tasmania that the Deloraine craft fair is the biggest one on the Island. Aren't there a lot of "arty" folks living in that area too?
I'm a bit jealous of your warm weather - but at least this morning it's no longer raining here! (well not yet anyway!).
Hope you enjoy your ladies lunch on Tuesday, sounds nice. Is that going to be in Bridport itself?

Do you have any fireworks events this week/next weekend?

Cathy
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi

The craft fair sounds lovely, I usually have to take a set amount of money with me to those sorts of things otherwise I get carried away!

The weather has been beautiful hasn't it? Although we have a fair old sea breeze keeping the temps down a bit but all this sunshine is good for the soul!

Up early tomorrow morning as I'm starting a keep fit course held in the local park at 6.30 am

Sam

Hi Sam, really pleased to hear that you've been back in the saddle! Glad you enjoyed your ride earlier today.

Let us know how your keep fit course in the local park goes - what is it - running / exercises or tai chi?? I think if it were me i'd prefer it to be earlier than 6.30am (just so's no-one would see exactly how unfit i am!)
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

They sure did have some rain, we heard about the marathon runners being lost in the awful weather on the news here. My mum in Warwickshire had alot of snow and really cold weather too, which is quite early even for the UK.

The Lake District is really beautiful, isn't it? Were the Autumn colours in blaze?

Seems very odd to think of Autumn in the UK when it is getting wamer by the day here, its especially nice to have the days lengthening as we arrived in Tas in June, just after the longest day in the UK, arriving to dark nights by 5pm here, it was a shock to the system, more so than the weather change. It's getting dark about 8.30 pm now on a good day.

Take care

Sam
Hi Sam, yes, the weather has been a bit odd over here. Did you guys hear about the 3ft deep hail that fell in Cornwall a few days back? now that was weird! i find it all a bit worrying myself, as i dont think we can now predict the weather properly anywhere in the world.
Yes, the Autumn colours were everywhere in the Lake District - the colours of the trees were lovely. I think that's part of the place's magic really. I love the countryside here in Essex too - but i think that in Cumbria because it's what i call rolling countryside it's much more dramatic looking and i guess more impressive for that reason. I think that's one of the reason's we chose Tasmania to move to though as well - because there's certain aspects of the Island that remind me of English countryside but i know i'm not the 1st person to say that on here!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Misty1 will become famous soon enoughMisty1 will become famous soon enough

Hi,
just wanted to say hello to everyone. My family and i are moving to Tasmania in the next few weeks. Must say that when our house didnt sell this year we had given up emigrating to Tas. Our visa will expire in December. Then just as we had given up we got another buyer (third time its sold now). Fingers crossed it seems to be going through. So its all back on. Its all up and down. But we seem to be getting closer. We have no choice but to sell and just leave. No time now to move into a rental. Its a case of hand the keys over and leave. Seems crazy but its now or never.
I wish it hadn't fallen weeks before xmas as it seems harder to do with kids talking about xmas at home and my mum is planning xmas dinner.
Luckily we have friends in Tas who will put us up over xmas. Cant wait myself to see Tasmania it really does look like paradise island.
Good luck to everyone who is house selling in UK.
jane
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Misty1
Hi,
just wanted to say hello to everyone. My family and i are moving to Tasmania in the next few weeks. Must say that when our house didnt sell this year we had given up emigrating to Tas. Our visa will expire in December. Then just as we had given up we got another buyer (third time its sold now). Fingers crossed it seems to be going through. So its all back on. Its all up and down. But we seem to be getting closer. We have no choice but to sell and just leave. No time now to move into a rental. Its a case of hand the keys over and leave. Seems crazy but its now or never.
I wish it hadn't fallen weeks before xmas as it seems harder to do with kids talking about xmas at home and my mum is planning xmas dinner.
Luckily we have friends in Tas who will put us up over xmas. Cant wait myself to see Tasmania it really does look like paradise island.
jane
Hi Jane, welcome to the main Tassie thread! I know we've already chatted on the other thread you started, but just wanted to wish you the very best of luck with your move over to Tassie. Sounds like it's going to be close with the move - with your visa expiring in December! Glad you didn't have to validate because of not being able to sell. In hindsight we wish we had just upped and left within the 1st 12months of our visa last year....we would have avoided all the house selling problems then! But i am glad we did validate so at least we have some time on our side.

I'm sure the kids wont mind at all not being at home for Xmas - it'll seem like a big adventure/holiday to them. It's great that you have friends to stay with in Tas. Do they live in the North or South?

Anyway, good luck with getting organised! I dont envy you there - but as a few have said to you already - if you have any questions or need any tips - this is the place to ask away!

take care
Cathy
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:50 am
Old Member

TassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to all

Hi,
jane
Welcome and good luck, fingers crossed on the house front.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:49 pm
Old Member

TassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to all
Smile Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Originally Posted by -Billybob-
Here you go mate
I think I might have seen that view before
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Sam, really pleased to hear that you've been back in the saddle! Glad you enjoyed your ride earlier today.

Let us know how your keep fit course in the local park goes - what is it - running / exercises or tai chi?? I think if it were me i'd prefer it to be earlier than 6.30am (just so's no-one would see exactly how unfit i am!)
Hi Cathy

Back from my early morning exercise, luckily there was no one around to see 8women bouncing around the park, it was fine apart from the fact it was raining, typical we hardly have any rain here but it did it today, anyway shows we must have been really keen!
Think I will ache a bit tomorrow, with the riding yesterday as well

Hi,
jane
Hi Jane and welcome!

When do you arrive in Tas, you must be getting very busy, those last few weeks are a bit hectic!
We've been in 4 months now and are just starting to relax and really enjoy ourselves, if you have friends here that will help lots as we really missed that.

Where do your friends live? Shout up if you need any help.

Sam
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:29 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Sam
thats a good idea, certainly could have got carried away!

I would love to go horse riding, I'm allergic to horses cant get near them

6.30 thats commitment good on yer!

Glad you enjoyed the craft fair I've read on a site once about events in Tasmania that the Deloraine craft fair is the biggest one on the Island. Aren't there a lot of "arty" folks living in that area too?
I'm a bit jealous of your warm weather - but at least this morning it's no longer raining here! (well not yet anyway!).
Hope you enjoy your ladies lunch on Tuesday, sounds nice. Is that going to be in Bridport itself?

Do you have any fireworks events this week/next weekend?

Cathy
yep lots of arty people over on the west, well they are all over really but I've noticed it more over there. Some stalls are from the mainland though not just local stuff.

yeah the lunch is here

guy fawkes isnt celebrated here, it was just coincidental that a friend had 2 big bonfires to burn before the restrictions come in, so had one on saturday and they are going to light the other on wednesday which happens to be bonfire night! so going to have a few fireworks as well

Hi,
jane
Hello Jane good luck with the house know what a nightmare it is
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:48 am
Just Joined

-Billybob- will become famous soon enough-Billybob- will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TassieBear
I think I might have seen that view before
Aye ya might have but what about this!!!
Attached Thumbnails Tasmania (continued!)-pict0078.jpg  
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

thats a good idea, certainly could have got carried away!

I would love to go horse riding, I'm allergic to horses cant get near them

6.30 thats commitment good on yer!

yep lots of arty people over on the west, well they are all over really but I've noticed it more over there. Some stalls are from the mainland though not just local stuff.

yeah the lunch is here

guy fawkes isnt celebrated here, it was just coincidental that a friend had 2 big bonfires to burn before the restrictions come in, so had one on saturday and they are going to light the other on wednesday which happens to be bonfire night! so going to have a few fireworks as well

Hello Jane good luck with the house know what a nightmare it is
Oh my god that is too freaky, I thought I was the only person in the world that was allergic to horses!!! I love them but like you can't go near them. I even get a reaction when I touch a fence that a horse has rubbed against.

By the way how do you do the quote a certain paragraph thingy that you do? and you manage to quote different peeps in one post Sorry to sound a bit of a thicky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.