Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (continued!)

Tasmania (continued!)

Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice
Default Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Any pastrycooks from Tasse ?
How about the job opportunities over there and wages,
How many five stars hotels are around hobart ?
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shafanm
Any pastrycooks from Tasse ?
How about the job opportunities over there and wages,
How many five stars hotels are around hobart ?
Hi there - as far as i know there aren't any professional cooks currently participating on the thread. You might be better off posting this question on the main forum...as other chef's there might know answers to your questions even if they're not based in Tasmania themselves.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Hi Everyone, been a bit quiet on the Tassie thread lately....i thought for a bit of fun it might be an idea (for anyone willing to participate) to do a simple quiz now that a lot of you have been living on the Island for quite some time.... I know it'll make interesting reading for us Tassie wannabee's or just anyone in general.

1) Favourite 5 things you like about living in Tas
2) Top 5 things you dislike about Tas
3) 5 things you have done since being in Tas that you never did in the UK (or wherever you originate from)
4) 5 things you eat now you're living in Tas that you never ate before

I know some of you will think i'm mad....

Cathy
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:07 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi Everyone, been a bit quiet on the Tassie thread lately....i thought for a bit of fun it might be an idea (for anyone willing to participate) to do a simple quiz now that a lot of you have been living on the Island for quite some time.... I know it'll make interesting reading for us Tassie wannabee's or just anyone in general.

3) 5 things you have done since being in Tas that you never did in the UK (or wherever you originate from)

Cathy
well the being mad thing goes without saying

erm ok

the people we've met
the wildlife
the scenery
the festivals, art scene, new age scene
feel very safe

outdated outlook
quite a lot of racist attitudes
lot of underlying snobbery
no trains
telstra

3.this is a hard one
went on the Hollybank treetop adventure not done anything like that before.
not had to work since we got here
taken up golf
made a north american drum
sold a painting!

really thought about this one cant think of anything? I can list stuff I dont eat anymore but theres nothing really new here, dont go in for the Kangaroo and croc

Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelbug

Cathy
Hi Cathy

Mmm, not had a good day today, Telstra have taken $1600 out of my account with no warning, am now overdrawn, after spending all morning on the phone, in a queue and then getting cut off, then starting all over again with another operator, finally told it was their mistake but no we can't have our money back, it can only go on to our phone bill as a credit. What a nightmare, so I know what list they will go on.........

The scenery, without a doubt (climbed a mountain yesterday!)
The wildlife, saw wild wombats last weekend and have seen dolphins, whales, pademelons, wallabies, echidnas and more
The food and wine, with lots of shows and open days etc
The chance for the children to try new things eg triathlon
Still getting excited about exploring new places

First prize has to go to Telstra/Bigpond!
Lack of consistency within Tas and the other states, eg stamp duty, local government, health care etc etc
Poor roads, bad drivers and old wrecks that are blasting out black fumes
Not on the same wavelength/sense of humour
Terrible TV and shops!

Kayaking, have done this a few times now
Surfing (haven't tried yet but going to in a fortnight)
Climbed a mountain! Went up Hartz Peak yesterday, about 1250m, although of course we didn't start from sea level!
Had a bbq and real wood fire in a park shelter
Had so many wineries on the doorstep to visit

Shark (known as flake, I think)
Wallaby (only once, not keen!)
Silverbeet
Bush dust
Not sure what else

Off to work now, will be interesting to see what else comes up here

Sam
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future

hi all...

I couldnt find a 'new member' bit so thought I would jump in here...

I'm an expat who now lives in Tassie... left the uk 13 years ago and spent 7 years in Melbourne, 2 in Sydney and now just over 4 in Tasmania.

Am about to go through getting my little girl a British passport in preparation for a trip back for her to meet her grandparents in August.

Hope you dont mind a 'newbie'!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:34 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Nice one this,

Number 1,
The landscape.
The way of life its a lot more relaxing.
The people, I have only lived here 16 months and people in Launceston shops know me and are friendly.
The wildlife, Like others have said its amazing seeing the animals in the wild.
The food and drink, There are so many amazing places to go to.

Number 2
The roads and sheer lack of driving skills.
Lack of family pubs.
The Mozzies, They love eating me!!!!
Lack of railways, Would be such a nice way to get around Tasmania and also being a train geek I miss them!
Not being able to watch my football team.

Number 3
Get a job working for a bank.
Own a brand new car.
Own a sheep.
Have a wonderful wood fire.
Get banned from driving for 3 months for speeding.

Number 4
Wallaby
Frozen chips!!! Why can't places make fresh chips????
Not sure what else really, But love lots of fresh local produce!!!

Tassie is an awesome place!!!!
I received a letter from the Goverment I now have my permanent residency and only have to wait just over 2 years before I can apply for my citizenship as time counted on my temp spouse visa counts!!!!!

Gary Vikky and Hollie
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Effie1970
hi all...

I'm an expat who now lives in Tassie... left the uk 13 years ago and spent 7 years in Melbourne, 2 in Sydney and now just over 4 in Tasmania.

Am about to go through getting my little girl a British passport in preparation for a trip back for her to meet her grandparents in August.

Hi Effie1970 and welcome to the Tassie thread. No we certainly do not mind a newbie!! I only lived in tassie for 6 months and am currently in the UK. Hoping to be back in Tassie before the end of the year!! lol. We are a mixed lot on here, some are residents of Tassie and some in the UK waiting to get over to the beautiful Isle (all of us have our visas that are waiting in the uk to come over.

Where abouts do you live?

Regards Corinne x
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
Nice one this,

Number 1,
The landscape.
The way of life its a lot more relaxing.
The people, I have only lived here 16 months and people in Launceston shops know me and are friendly.
The wildlife, Like others have said its amazing seeing the animals in the wild.
The food and drink, There are so many amazing places to go to.

Number 2
The roads and sheer lack of driving skills.
Lack of family pubs.
The Mozzies, They love eating me!!!!
Lack of railways, Would be such a nice way to get around Tasmania and also being a train geek I miss them!
Not being able to watch my football team.

Number 3
Get a job working for a bank.
Own a brand new car.
Own a sheep.
Have a wonderful wood fire.
Get banned from driving for 3 months for speeding.

Number 4
Wallaby
Frozen chips!!! Why can't places make fresh chips????
Not sure what else really, But love lots of fresh local produce!!!

Tassie is an awesome place!!!!
I received a letter from the Goverment I now have my permanent residency and only have to wait just over 2 years before I can apply for my citizenship as time counted on my temp spouse visa counts!!!!!

Gary Vikky and Hollie
Wow what a wicked idea for a quiz Cathy and to all who have answered so far, fab reading from this side of the pond!!!

Hope you are all ok and survied your Easter breaks.

Regards
Corinne xx
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Effie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant futureEffie1970 has a brilliant future

Morning and thanks for the welcome...

Corinne - I live close to Launceston with my partner and little girl. I work full time and the majority of my family are in the uk (one brother in Northern Spain). My partner also has an older child who stays with us a lot of the time.

I'll jump in with the questions I guess!

1) The lack of traffic in comparison to other states
The education system and that there are relatively low cost options
That we can live semi rural but still be within easy driving distance to 'civilisation'
Lower crime rates
The lower expectation of working 60+ hours a week

2) 2 degrees of separation - partly the reason why I dont say much on public forums
Higher cost of living (with the exception of housing) with significantly lower salaries for the same job
Lack of facilities/activities for young families, particularly outside of week days
How difficult it can be to get things done if you dont know someone, and needing to add a flight to any of the major events.
Tassie drivers... need I say more?

3) I cant actually think of any... I did heaps of different things in Melb and Sydney but since being here havent... oh, except for owning 3 sheep and having a wood fire which I noticed were on Corinnes list too

4) The raspberry farm is the only thing I can think of... had tried most other things in Melb/Syd but do still have a few faves (like seafood at Ulverstone, Ashgrove cheese)
Old Apr 20th 2009, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

I do have a question too... I'm going to the uk in August to see my family (and so that they can meet my little girl) but dont have a passport for her yet... do I have to take the application to BHC in Hobart? I've got the forms etc ready for her - just wondering if its worth doing both Oz and UK passports when she is under 2
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:01 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi Cathy

Mmm, not had a good day today, Telstra have taken $1600 out of my account with no warning, am now overdrawn, after spending all morning on the phone, in a queue and then getting cut off, then starting all over again with another operator, finally told it was their mistake but no we can't have our money back, it can only go on to our phone bill as a credit. What a nightmare, so I know what list they will go on.........

Sam
Have you looked at putting a dispute in with your bank?

Which bank are you with?

If you need help or advise about this give me a pm, i work for the commbank!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:07 am
Karoola!!!!!!

Morning and thanks for the welcome...

Corinne - I live close to Launceston with my partner and little girl. I work full time and the majority of my family are in the uk (one brother in Northern Spain). My partner also has an older child who stays with us a lot of the time.
How old is your little girl? And where in/near Launnie are you living?

Last edited by GaryVFR8; Apr 21st 2009 at 1:17 am.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at putting a dispute in with your bank?

Which bank are you with?

If you need help or advise about this give me a pm, i work for the commbank!
Hi Gary

Thankfully after over 3 hours of phone calls yesterday, the money has now been returned to our bank account, so I have now cancelled the direct debit instruction with Telstra and will also speak to the bank to make sure they know I do not authorise any payments to them ever again!
What really bugs me is that no one even apologised for this mistake, they disconnected our internet service back in Feb, when we phoned up they said it was a technical error and we would have to set up a new account, new email etc, this charge apparently is tied up with that as they charged us for 4 cancellation charges We didn't even get a bill warning us of this (incorrect) amount, I'm still fuming about it now, so back to the ombusdman we go!

hi all...

Hi and welcome

I moved out to Tassie last July from the UK with hubby and 2 children, live just South of Hobart.

Not sure about the British passport?

Sam
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

How old is your little girl? And where in/near Launnie are you living?
She is 18 months and we live between the City and airport, so not far from town at all. Are there many 'northerners' in the thread?

Still debating on the passport! I dont want to have the expense of 2 or worry about visas etc seeing as she is an Oz citizen. Does an Oz passport holder have to get a visa for the uk or a uk passport holder for coming back into Oz?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.