Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (continued!)

Tasmania (continued!)

Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:21 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi Kay, how was your weekend ? what was the hotel like & the bloomintulips show?
Hiya it was great, Hawley House was quirky! there is a bath on the roof if you are game to give it a go

we stayed in the blue room, massive room and fantastic view bit overpriced to be honest 4 star price without the 4 star accompliments but fab 4 course meal and a great wine celler saw a Tassie devil in the bush first one we've ever seen in the wild. and you should have heard the frogs at night!! the place is surrounded by ponds and I've not heard anything like that since WA ...loads of motor bike frogs they were ace so all in all though it appears overpriced you pay for the experience and it is a heritage trust property.

The tulip festival was nice not as many tulips as there usually is apparently but still we had a great day, the colours are fab I have took some photos just not got round to loading them yet, the weather has been fantastic .. still is.. great to walk about in a tee shirt at last!

Wynyard was heaving so many people good atmosphere, there was stuff going on for kids and food stalls etc Colin was harping on about watching the Gopher racing (he really thought it was real live Gophers!!) so we went to see what it was all about, turns out its old bids on mobility scooters Gawd I was PMSL you should have seen the speed they set of at.

I went over to some friends sat arvo a place called Oldina about 12k from Wynyard very very rural, nothing there, no shop, nowt, lovely property though stream running through took my drum and drummed with them for a few hours had a great time, Col didnt come he went walkabout on his own.

then back to Wynyard had a decent chinese meal, few bevvies and watched the fireworks, got to say they are the best fireworks i've ever seen fantastic.

sunday came back via Gunns Plains beautiful, called into Wings Wildlife park for a cuppa didnt have time to go round but you can stay there they have cabins $100 per night, reckon that would be a fab place to take the kids. we are going to go back and have a night. Just down the road from there are the Leven Caves, again no time to go round this time. We carried on and saw the Preston Waterfall and then went to Leven canyon, beautiful great area Bit of info on the link below

http://www.touringtasmania.info/gunns_plains.htm

then onto Forth near Devonport for lunch at the pub and home.

What have you been up to?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Possums
Hiya it was great, Hawley House was quirky! there is a bath on the roof if you are game to give it a go
we stayed in the blue room, massive room and fantastic view bit overpriced to be honest 4 star price without the 4 star accompliments but fab 4 course meal and a great wine celler saw a Tassie devil in the bush first one we've ever seen in the wild. and you should have heard the frogs at night!! the place is surrounded by ponds and I've not heard anything like that since WA ...loads of motor bike frogs they were ace so all in all though it appears overpriced you pay for the experience and it is a heritage trust property.

The tulip festival was nice not as many tulips as there usually is apparently but still we had a great day, the colours are fab I have took some photos just not got round to loading them yet, the weather has been fantastic .. still is.. great to walk about in a tee shirt at last!

Wynyard was heaving so many people good atmosphere, there was stuff going on for kids and food stalls etc Colin was harping on about watching the Gopher racing (he really thought it was real live Gophers!!) so we went to see what it was all about, turns out its old bids on mobility scooters Gawd I was PMSL you should have seen the speed they set of at.

I went over to some friends sat arvo a place called Oldina about 12k from Wynyard very very rural, nothing there, no shop, nowt, lovely property though stream running through took my drum and drummed with them for a few hours had a great time, Col didnt come he went walkabout on his own.

then back to Wynyard had a decent chinese meal, few bevvies and watched the fireworks, got to say they are the best fireworks i've ever seen fantastic.

sunday came back via Gunns Plains beautiful, called into Wings Wildlife park for a cuppa didnt have time to go round but you can stay there they have cabins $100 per night, reckon that would be a fab place to take the kids. we are going to go back and have a night. Just down the road from there are the Leven Caves, again no time to go round this time. We carried on and saw the Preston Waterfall and then went to Leven canyon, beautiful great area Bit of info on the link below

http://www.touringtasmania.info/gunns_plains.htm

then onto Forth near Devonport for lunch at the pub and home.

What have you been up to?

Blimey! Was all that in a weekend or a week!!!! You did manage to fit in quite a bit! My weekend was incredibly dull compared to that!
Was it really the 1st tassie devil you'd seen? is it unusual to see them naturally then? There's an advert on TV over here at the moment - to do with a wildlife/animal programme of somekind and in the clip there's three tassie devils fighting - you only see about 5seconds of them - but boy they look like vicious little things!!!

Hotel sounds good - not sure about the bath on the roof though! I'd be worried someone's going to see me from miles away - know what you Tassie lot are like for owning telescopes!

I'm going to have a look at the link you put on in a minute, the wildlife park is the kind of thing our two love...so i'll make a note of that for future reference!

I went out with friends Friday evening - had what at the time i thought was a really lovely meal in a Prezzo restaurant - only to be ill 10mins after returning home, and i couldnt blame alcohol as i only had a couple!!! So i was a bit unwell during the day Saturday... Sunday over here was very warm - almost like a summer's day - so we took the kids out for a bit of fresh air - but apart from that - a very average weekend for us!

Do you have any other weekend's away planned or is that it now before you return to the UK?

Cathy
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Possums - sounds like you had a great weekend! Will have a look at the wildlife park as the kids love them.
Lucky you seeing you a devil in the wild, with the facial disease affecting their numbers so badly, its reckoned to be lucky to see them naturally now. I'm in the middle of reading a really interesting book all about the devils, they are fascinating!

Cathy - hope you are feeling better now, you're about the 4th person who has had a stomach upset recently, although not all eating at the same place!
Good to hear the weather was better, I spoke to my mum on Sunday and she said it was a lovely warm day.

We had a great day out on Saturday, we went to Port Arthur, a sad but very interesting, the weather was lovely, we had a picnic surrounded by green rosellas and the children didn't squabble for once!

Sam
Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Possums - sounds like you had a great weekend! Will have a look at the wildlife park as the kids love them.
Lucky you seeing you a devil in the wild, with the facial disease affecting their numbers so badly, its reckoned to be lucky to see them naturally now. I'm in the middle of reading a really interesting book all about the devils, they are fascinating!

Cathy - hope you are feeling better now, you're about the 4th person who has had a stomach upset recently, although not all eating at the same place!
Good to hear the weather was better, I spoke to my mum on Sunday and she said it was a lovely warm day.

We had a great day out on Saturday, we went to Port Arthur, a sad but very interesting, the weather was lovely, we had a picnic surrounded by green rosellas and the children didn't squabble for once!

Sam

Hi Sam , glad you had a good weekend and glad you managed to get to Port Arthur, i know you'd said you'd been wanting to go for a while. Did you do one of the boat trips you can do from there - or just the grounds tour? I remember reading that there's quite a few options isnt there?

There's loads of things going around over here at the moment - you know what October is like normally - people dropping like flies with the flu/chesty coughs etc. I went into work last night and about 5 people were off sick. Out of the 6 of us that went out friday evening though i was the only one that was ill, but i did eat a different starter/main course to everyone else. I think i was just unlucky. A few said it might have been my chicken breast with gorgonzola cheese/wine and leek sauce main course that caused it - saying it was too rich - but I've normally got a cast iron stomach and it didnt seem too rich when i was eating everything! I feel fine now though - thanks for asking. We only have 11 days till we go to the Lake District for a week - so i'm keeping my fingerscrossed that no-one comes down with anything else as Andy's still trying to get shot of a bad cough.

The weather at the weekend was a bit of a shock really...it's still quite mild, but the sun has disappeared again!

What is this facial disease that the Tassie Devils are suffering from? Do they catch it from other species or is it just a Tassie Devil thing?

I have noticed that a couple of houses near where we are have SOLD signs on them this last week - so i'm going to enquire today if i can as to whether they achieved good sale prices or whether the sellers accepted very low offers.....Really hoping that we can put the house up in the New Year and get some interest.

Do you guys hear a lot about recessions/price increases etc in your news over there? It's all that's in the papers/on the TV over here lately. Gets quite depressing!

Cathy
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:35 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey! Was all that in a weekend or a week!!!! You did manage to fit in quite a bit! My weekend was incredibly dull compared to that!
Was it really the 1st tassie devil you'd seen? is it unusual to see them naturally then? There's an advert on TV over here at the moment - to do with a wildlife/animal programme of somekind and in the clip there's three tassie devils fighting - you only see about 5seconds of them - but boy they look like vicious little things!!!

Hotel sounds good - not sure about the bath on the roof though! I'd be worried someone's going to see me from miles away - know what you Tassie lot are like for owning telescopes!

I'm going to have a look at the link you put on in a minute, the wildlife park is the kind of thing our two love...so i'll make a note of that for future reference!

I went out with friends Friday evening - had what at the time i thought was a really lovely meal in a Prezzo restaurant - only to be ill 10mins after returning home, and i couldnt blame alcohol as i only had a couple!!! So i was a bit unwell during the day Saturday... Sunday over here was very warm - almost like a summer's day - so we took the kids out for a bit of fresh air - but apart from that - a very average weekend for us!

Do you have any other weekend's away planned or is that it now before you return to the UK?

Cathy
Hiya lol yes all in a weekend we never do things by half

mmm dont think you would be seen in the bath lots of trees around but who knows LOL

the tassie devil is suffering from a facial disease your lucky to see them in the wild now, apart from that sad fact it also has a knock on effect with the road kill. Devils would clear road kill away now they are just left to rot, a sad sign that they are not around.

We have seen devils in santuarys, there is a great one at Launceston Lakes he has some healthy devils and has bred some, they are the devils on my photos in the gallery. But yes unfortunatley this one at the weekend is the only one we have seen in the wild.

launceston lakes http://www.launcestonlakes.com/

here is info on the disease is not pretty but we need to save these lil babies, they are a lovely animal

http://www.tassiedevilappeal.org.au/

oo sorry to hear of the food poisoning nothing worse

we are supposed to be going to Melbourne for the weekend in November with some mates, not booked it yet, they are currently in Adelaide so need to see how brasic they are when they get back

Originally Posted by Sammy T

Sam
Thanks Sam we did.

We need to come back down south so much to see, want to do the Tahune air walk

We only have 11 days till we go to the Lake District for a week - so i'm keeping my fingerscrossed that no-one comes down with anything else as Andy's still trying to get shot of a bad cough.

I have noticed that a couple of houses near where we are have SOLD signs on them this last week - so i'm going to enquire today if i can as to whether they achieved good sale prices or whether the sellers accepted very low offers.....Really hoping that we can put the house up in the New Year and get some interest.

Do you guys hear a lot about recessions/price increases etc in your news over there? It's all that's in the papers/on the TV over here lately. Gets quite depressing!

Cathy
the recession is all we hear about Cathy if you look at other threads on the forum there is plenty about it, interest rates have come down and Rudd has just injected 10 billion into the economy yet he is saying the banks here are strong .. who knows?

the good news is house prices have to come down and it looks like the first home buyers grant is to be increased.

where abouts in the Lakes are you going?
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Hiya lol yes all in a weekend we never do things by half

mmm dont think you would be seen in the bath lots of trees around but who knows LOL

the tassie devil is suffering from a facial disease your lucky to see them in the wild now, apart from that sad fact it also has a knock on effect with the road kill. Devils would clear road kill away now they are just left to rot, a sad sign that they are not around.

We have seen devils in santuarys, there is a great one at Launceston Lakes he has some healthy devils and has bred some, they are the devils on my photos in the gallery. But yes unfortunatley this one at the weekend is the only one we have seen in the wild.

launceston lakes http://www.launcestonlakes.com/

here is info on the disease is not pretty but we need to save these lil babies, they are a lovely animal

http://www.tassiedevilappeal.org.au/

oo sorry to hear of the food poisoning nothing worse

we are supposed to be going to Melbourne for the weekend in November with some mates, not booked it yet, they are currently in Adelaide so need to see how brasic they are when they get back

Thanks Sam we did.

We need to come back down south so much to see, want to do the Tahune air walk

the recession is all we hear about Cathy if you look at other threads on the forum there is plenty about it, interest rates have come down and Rudd has just injected 10 billion into the economy yet he is saying the banks here are strong .. who knows?

the good news is house prices have to come down and it looks like the first home buyers grant is to be increased.

where abouts in the Lakes are you going?

Hi I've never read about contagious cancer's before - and didnt realise that science is only aware of two such cancer's - one being the tassie devil one. Such a shame that the way it's spreading is through what they do naturally - ie, biting one another! I never realised the severity of the problem and that they believe the species may become extinct within 20years if things dont improve!

I hope you manage to fit in a trip to Melbourne. Fingerscrossed your friends are able to go.

I had read a few threads about the interest rates etc coming down - but wondered how much was in the papers/ on the news over there - i guess it must be pretty much like it is here - on a daily basis!
Funnily enough when i came home from work yesterday Andy mentioned about the 1st time buyers grant being increased from $7,000 to $14,000 but only temporarily. Obviously we'll miss out on that as we wouldnt have bought straight away as we are planning to rent for at least 6months first.

We're staying on Lake Windermere for the week. I booked a cabin for Andy's 40th as a present as he's never been to the Lakes before and has always wanted to go. Does look nice and the place where the cabins are has an indoor pool and other facilities so hopefully if the weather's not great we should find stuff to do. I've been to the Lakes before but mainly did outside stuff and boat trips etc - but this time we're planning on visiting things like the World of Beatrix Potter, the Steam Railway, A Pencil Factory/Museum, Motor Museum alongwith whatever we can do outside. I know there's a large Aquarium near Ambleside - and you can get the boat over there from Windermere i think so we might do that as the kids would enjoy it. If you or anyone else has any suggestions on any must see things in the Lakes i'd be interested to hear them!

Cathy
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Hi everyone!

I haven't been on lately because we had Duncan's Auntie and Uncle over from Melbourne, for a few days, plus our internet connection has not been great lately.

I've just skimmed through everyones posts, it sounds like you've all been busy! Sorry to hear about your dicky tum Cathy, hope your better now.

We have officially been here one year now! I can't believe how quickly the time has flown, our party is this Saturday, so Possums if you're down this way, let me know and I'll give you our address, you can have a sticky beak! (ha ha, I love that saying!!)

Anyway when our telephone line finally gets sorted I'll be back on properly, so speak soon peeps!

Kerry
X
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:27 am
(^v^)

Hi I've never read about contagious cancer's before - and didnt realise that science is only aware of two such cancer's - one being the tassie devil one. Such a shame that the way it's spreading is through what they do naturally - ie, biting one another! I never realised the severity of the problem and that they believe the species may become extinct within 20years if things dont improve!

I hope you manage to fit in a trip to Melbourne. Fingerscrossed your friends are able to go.

I had read a few threads about the interest rates etc coming down - but wondered how much was in the papers/ on the news over there - i guess it must be pretty much like it is here - on a daily basis!
Funnily enough when i came home from work yesterday Andy mentioned about the 1st time buyers grant being increased from $7,000 to $14,000 but only temporarily. Obviously we'll miss out on that as we wouldnt have bought straight away as we are planning to rent for at least 6months first.

We're staying on Lake Windermere for the week. I booked a cabin for Andy's 40th as a present as he's never been to the Lakes before and has always wanted to go. Does look nice and the place where the cabins are has an indoor pool and other facilities so hopefully if the weather's not great we should find stuff to do. I've been to the Lakes before but mainly did outside stuff and boat trips etc - but this time we're planning on visiting things like the World of Beatrix Potter, the Steam Railway, A Pencil Factory/Museum, Motor Museum alongwith whatever we can do outside. I know there's a large Aquarium near Ambleside - and you can get the boat over there from Windermere i think so we might do that as the kids would enjoy it. If you or anyone else has any suggestions on any must see things in the Lakes i'd be interested to hear them!

Cathy
it is sad hope they can save them

Ah yep I remember you saying you were going for Andy's birthday. I have only been to the lakes once, went to Penrith for the weekend and to lake windermere for the day on the way back such a beautiful area of the country. dont have any suggestions, sounds like you have it covered though

didnt realise the FHBG increase was only temporary, reckon interest rates will keep falling here though.. yep it is on the news 24/7 here too.

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Hi everyone!

I haven't been on lately because we had Duncan's Auntie and Uncle over from Melbourne, for a few days, plus our internet connection has not been great lately.

I've just skimmed through everyones posts, it sounds like you've all been busy! Sorry to hear about your dicky tum Cathy, hope your better now.

We have officially been here one year now! I can't believe how quickly the time has flown, our party is this Saturday, so Possums if you're down this way, let me know and I'll give you our address, you can have a sticky beak! (ha ha, I love that saying!!)

Anyway when our telephone line finally gets sorted I'll be back on properly, so speak soon peeps!

Kerry
X
Happy 1st birthday in Tas thank you so much for the invite Kerry. I'm sorry we cant make it this weekend though, got an AGM at the club and as i'm secretary I have to do the minutes... oh what an exciting life I lead

have a fab party, do drink too much
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Hi everyone!

Kerry
X
Hi Kerry Hope you had a good time with Duncan's Aunt & Uncle. What did they think of Tassie? was it their 1st visit to the Island ?

So the 1 year is official now - that's good that year went FAST!!!! Cant believe in a month or so's time it would have been a year since we met you all ourselves! Seems a lifetime ago that we visited Tas

Hope you have a great party on Saturday... Best stock up on some headache tablets for the next morning now!!!!

Have fun!
take care
Cathy
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

it is sad hope they can save them

Ah yep I remember you saying you were going for Andy's birthday. I have only been to the lakes once, went to Penrith for the weekend and to lake windermere for the day on the way back such a beautiful area of the country. dont have any suggestions, sounds like you have it covered though

didnt realise the FHBG increase was only temporary, reckon interest rates will keep falling here though.. yep it is on the news 24/7 here too.

Happy 1st birthday in Tas thank you so much for the invite Kerry. I'm sorry we cant make it this weekend though, got an AGM at the club and as i'm secretary I have to do the minutes... oh what an exciting life I lead

have a fab party, do drink too much
I'm sure Andy said it was temporary - but i'll have another look at some point! I'm sure he said something about June next year and although we're hoping to be in Tas by then (fingercrossed - please,please,please) - we would need the increase to be inplace still after 6 months or so of us arriving!
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

hello everyone!! we're all a bit quiet here lately. What's everyone been up to?
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:53 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Hiya Teabag, i am listening to Van Halen playing air guitar, drinking wine in Tassie. Cool bannanas.

And does any one in Tassie know where to buy good guitars in Tassie as i play from time to time. After a good un. Not Gibson or Fender by the way, but PRS or the likes of.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Hiya Teabag, i am listening to Van Halen playing air guitar, drinking wine in Tassie. Cool bannanas.

And does any one in Tassie know where to buy good guitars in Tassie as i play from time to time. After a good un. Not Gibson or Fender by the way, but PRS or the likes of.
This probably isn't any good to you Lenmil as you are up at Burnie, but there is a fantastic music shop in Hobart, they have all kinds of instruments. I noticed they had some really cool guitars in the windows. I can't remember the name of it though, but will make a note of it next time I'm in the city.

I've been gardening all day, the weather was perfect for it today. I've just had a lovely soak in the bath to relieve my aches and pains that one normally gets when they haven't dabbled in the soil for a while!
Old Oct 25th 2008, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

I spent the day cleaning the house and have a few aches and pains myself!

Other than that not a lot happening with us.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 10:21 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Not got a bath at my rental, just a shower. Nothing like a good hot soak and a book and drink. Ah well some day when we sell our house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.