Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (continued!)

Tasmania (continued!)

Old Nov 16th 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all
Default Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Hey Sammy, congrats on getting a house!! This will be a lovely Christmas for you in a new house!
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teabag
Hey Sammy, congrats on getting a house!! This will be a lovely Christmas for you in a new house!
Thanks Donna, yes, all being well we can move in for Christmas which will feel good. The children are especially excited at having their own place although Izzy is disappointed we have not gone for a rural option as she dreams of having her own horse!
But we have been riding at Judbury which was good fun and I've promised we'll do some riding again soon, once we've absorbed the cost of buying a house and Christmas, that is

Sam
Old Nov 17th 2008, 5:12 am
Just Joined

tryingtobehappy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Any advice for a tradey looking to move to Tasmania, we are considering a relocation from Perth any advice appreciated, dh is a plasterer/renderer.

Cheers
Old Nov 17th 2008, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tryingtobehappy
Hi

Any advice for a tradey looking to move to Tasmania, we are considering a relocation from Perth any advice appreciated, dh is a plasterer/renderer.

Cheers
Hiya

Sorry I can't help much with the tradey advice but someone else may come along soon who can give you some info.
Funny enough I met a lady who has recently moved to Tas after 10 years in Perth, she loves it here!

Good luck

Sam
Old Nov 17th 2008, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Thank you.lets hope so, strange to think we could be starting again not knowing the place or the people oh well lifes an adventure!

P.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Hi

Cheers
So far Tassie is doing well and doesn't seem to be suffering too much from the economic down turn. So houses are still being built all over the island, I would assume that there should be sufficient work for a plasterer. But as Sammy says there is someone that has just arrived that is I think a painter and decorator, so hopefully once they are sorted they will post up and let us know how they are getting on. It might be worth your while checking out the yellow pages and noting down some plastering companies to contact them and make sure there is enough work, before making the big move.

Why are you looking to relocate to Tasmania? What's wrong with Perth?

Kerry
Old Nov 17th 2008, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Just a quick update guys, we had a totally Tasmanian weekend. We cut the grass on a rideon mower. Killed a few Trap Door Spider colonies!! Then our neighbour shot 25 wallabies and minced them up for burgers!!! Wallaby mince is a bit chewy, but is ok if you mix it with some other kind of mince and some bacon. I made spaghetti and meatballs with our share, they were delicious!! The Wallaby's around here are a real problem, there is an epidemic of them. And they are getting a bit too close to my veggie garden for my liking, so I have no problem with the neighbour shooting a few. But the night after there were still loads more coming down for a sneaky feed. They actually sell wallaby meat in the supermarkets here.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 7:40 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Tassie is on top gear at the mo
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:38 am
Just Joined

not sure i wanna come anymore!!!!! what are trap door spiders?
Blimey sounds like a different way to spend a weekend!

Perth for us isnt the place we hoped we have only been here 3 years and in that time in our opinion is not as safe, and the things that we used to hear about all the time in the uk and wanted to escape seem to be happening far too often and alot closer to home here, also we just havent settled so are thinking with the recession supposedly bad in the uk thought why not try somewhere else and Tasmania at first glance ticks alot of boxes, but obviously have some research to do first!!

How are the flies in Tas? Another minor irritant of Perth

Thanks for the info
P.

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Just a quick update guys, we had a totally Tasmanian weekend. We cut the grass on a rideon mower. Killed a few Trap Door Spider colonies!! Then our neighbour shot 25 wallabies and minced them up for burgers!!! Wallaby mince is a bit chewy, but is ok if you mix it with some other kind of mince and some bacon. I made spaghetti and meatballs with our share, they were delicious!! The Wallaby's around here are a real problem, there is an epidemic of them. And they are getting a bit too close to my veggie garden for my liking, so I have no problem with the neighbour shooting a few. But the night after there were still loads more coming down for a sneaky feed. They actually sell wallaby meat in the supermarkets here.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

:
Perth for us isnt the place we hoped we have only been here 3 years and in that time in our opinion is not as safe, and the things that we used to hear about all the time in the uk and wanted to escape seem to be happening far too often and alot closer to home here, also we just havent settled so are thinking with the recession supposedly bad in the uk thought why not try somewhere else and Tasmania at first glance ticks alot of boxes, but obviously have some research to do first!!

Thanks for the info
P.

Hi there Just wanted to say that my partners sister has lived in Perth for nearly 19 years and loves it, and it was our 1st choice of destination once we'd received our visa's April 2007, however although my partner has visited his sister/family out there many many times during that 19 years and liked the place, he was aware that there were things about Perth that i would definitely not like. As a compromise before making the move over to Oz we decided last Nov/Dec to visit both Perth and Tasmania (Tassie being my 1st choice). For me there was no comparison... Tassie won hands down and surprisingly my partner also agreed as he felt Perth had changed very much since his last previous visit. Although i can see the attraction of Perth for some people, and it is a lovely city, i could never envisage myself living there... Many reasons really - but just a couple for me were the heat, definitely the flies (which were a problem when we visited last Nov), and the fact that it seemed very americanised (we lost count of how many fast-food places etc there were along the roads).
Tasmania for us seemed a much safer, cleaner and friendlier enviroment for us to bring our kids up in. We were hoping to be in Tas by now - but were unable to sell our house earlier this year due to the credit crunch - although it's going back on the market after Christmas.

My partner is a tradie as well, he's a lagger & sheetmetal worker. I would do as Kezzabird suggested and either ring or EMail some of the larger companies over in Tas (both North and South) - and ask regarding the work situation / wages etc. We know that wages for my OH are less in Tas than they would be in Perth. We have kept in touch with some companies that we contacted and they seem to have plenty of work about and are hopeful it's going to continue for the forseeable future.... We know there are plans to build a new hospital in Hobart (not sure when though) - but projects like that would obviously interest people like you and my OH.

Good luck with all the research. Have you thought about popping over to Tas for a short break? We went over from Perth to Melbourne and it only took about 3 1/2 hours or so flying time - and then a further 1hr 10mins from Melbourne to Hobart.... It's worth seeing before making a decision if you can as it's VERY different from Perth.

Cathy
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

not sure i wanna come anymore!!!!! what are trap door spiders?
Blimey sounds like a different way to spend a weekend!

Thanks for the info
P.
lol, you won't need to worry about Trap door spiders if you live in the suburbs, we are semi rural so get all the weird and wonderful creepy crawlys!!

I had heard about the flies in Perth, and no we don't get them half as much, about same as Uk I'd say. The best way to describe Tas is that it's like Ireland or Scotland for the landscape, the people are way laid back and hold the old fashioned family values that I had when I was a kid back in the 70's and 80's. You kinda get the feeling that Tasmania is stuck in a time warp sometimes. It has a lovely charm about it, but if your looking for excitement of city life then forget it!!!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

I lived in Perth for 12 years and moved to Tas May 2007 and must say Tassie is so beautiful in comparison. The flies here are more like Jumbo jets compared to the Perth one's however they don't stick and hang around your mouth and eye's like in Perth, also not as many of them!!! I think it's just the start of the warm weather that we have to worry about the flies though.

If you are beach mad Perth is probably the better option, just because of the coldness of the water here. But personally I'll take Mountains and tree's over beaches and desert anytime!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone

Cathy i see your from Romford thats my homeground !!! Good luck with selling your house after christmas , it must be a huge pain.
We are definatley going to visit first, made that mistake before.
We are looking i suppose for the more laid back care free life, here in Perth it is soooooooooo i think the word is fake people are so into whos got bigger and better, and yes very americanised we were surprised at that when we arrived!
Though it is a stunning place and the beaches are gorgeous, just not for us.

The more i read about Tas the more excited i get and we also hope to try the more rural life but we need to work out distance and stuff for work obviously the rural life sounds great (except the spiders) but we need to earn money too so will attempt to find a happy medium!

Thanks Again
P.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone

Cathy i see your from Romford thats my homeground !!! Good luck with selling your house after christmas , it must be a huge pain.
We are definatley going to visit first, made that mistake before.
We are looking i suppose for the more laid back care free life, here in Perth it is soooooooooo i think the word is fake people are so into whos got bigger and better, and yes very americanised we were surprised at that when we arrived!
Though it is a stunning place and the beaches are gorgeous, just not for us.

The more i read about Tas the more excited i get and we also hope to try the more rural life but we need to work out distance and stuff for work obviously the rural life sounds great (except the spiders) but we need to earn money too so will attempt to find a happy medium!

Thanks Again
P.
oh yes, the bigger and better is definately a big thing in Perth!!!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Teabag
oh yes, the bigger and better is definately a big thing in Perth!!!
Tassie peeps don't seem to compete with each other, there is very little keeping up with the Jones here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.