Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tasmania (continued!)

Tasmania (continued!)

Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:46 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Does any one know if you can get English mustard in Tassie. Not been able to locate any in Coles or Woolies.
got it in our woolies and IGA seen different brands KEENS is just like Colemans, pity you didnt go to the craft fair there was a mustard stall!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lenmil
What! no pee's pudding to go with hot savaloys and baked potatoes. Definately a Northern thing (UK). Does any one know if you can get English mustard in Tassie. Not been able to locate any in Coles or Woolies.

I used to love bonfire night when i was a kid. Or "Bonnie neet" as we called it. Used to build huge bonfires on any open field and no one cared. Well that was in the 70s. Don't know about now. Ah the memories of a miss used youth.
MasterFoods do a Hot English mustard and it is HOT it nearly blew my head off!!!! You can get it in woolies or Coles down here, so if your supermarkets don't have it, ask for it, maybe they will start stocking it. No colemans I'm afraid, at least I haven't found any.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of

Oh I just read the 'To Do List' Cathy posted and it really peed me off as most of you know we did all of the things on there (give or take a few ) and it seems like we will Never get there . Been great looking through the thread though xxx

Off to do Tea ...wahaaay !!!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jerzo
Oh I just read the 'To Do List' Cathy posted and it really peed me off as most of you know we did all of the things on there (give or take a few ) and it seems like we will Never get there . Been great looking through the thread though xxx

Hey Zoe, sorry about posting the list of things to do and it peeing you off! It wasn't written by me!!! i was just posting it to help out the new lady Jane on the thread.
I know you did most of what was on the list....but you dont know that you won't make it to Tas for definite yet do you?
Try and stay positive (i know i'm a fine one to talk there! ). I dont think we're alone with wanting to make the move and circumstances holding us back....i've been reading quite a few threads on the main forum and there's quite a few people in similar situations wanting to go to all places in Oz...
I'm sure we'll get there eventually!
Cathy
Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:52 pm
Old Member

TassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to all
Cool Re: Tasmania (continued!)

Originally Posted by travelbug
I dont think we're alone with wanting to make the move and circumstances holding us back....i've been reading quite a few threads on the main forum and there's quite a few people in similar situations wanting to go to all places in Oz...
I'm sure we'll get there eventually!
Cathy
You sure is right, I would go back tomorrow but have to stay in the uK for my sister's wedding in the summer and then goanna head back to Tas.

cant afford to go now and the come back for the Wedding and me missing Billybob so much

Last edited by TassieBear; Nov 7th 2008 at 6:40 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:11 pm
Old Member

TassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to allTassieBear is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kezzabird
No colemans I'm afraid, .
Can sent you some if you like ?
Old Nov 8th 2008, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TassieBear
Can sent you some if you like ?
That's very good of you, but I've come quite accustomed to getting a nose bleed with my bully beef these days!!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jerzo

Good to see you back on here Zo Hows the little princess coming along, is she being good for you?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Hi All

So what's the weather been like in Tas this weekend ?

Me and Andy buy the Australia & New Zealand Monthly magazine over here to read. Quite funny the December issue....a slight misprint - there's an article in there about a family that moved from Merseyside to Kingston Beach in 2006 - and after telling their story - it gives you some info about Hobart.
According to this magazine - the average price of a house in Hobart is $153,188 (£61,827). That made us laugh when beside that statement were other pictures of houses over $400,000! I reckon the 1 should have been a 4for their average price!!!!

This family listed their "pro's and con's" of living in Hobart as follows :-

Pros = clean fresh air, fab beaches, countryside, and history all within easy reach, safe / laid back enviroment for their children and them, not getting caught up in keeping up with the Jones, great weather

Cons = Distance from family & friends, Big spiders!

Would any of you Tassie expats add anything to the con's / pro's list ???

Cathy
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi All

Me and Andy buy the Australia & New Zealand Monthly magazine over here to read. Quite funny the December issue....a slight misprint - there's an article in there about a family that moved from Merseyside to Kingston Beach in 2006 - and after telling their story - it gives you some info about Hobart.
According to this magazine - the average price of a house in Hobart is $153,188 (£61,827). That made us laugh when beside that statement were other pictures of houses over $400,000! I reckon the 1 should have been a 4for their average price!!!!

Pros = clean fresh air, fab beaches, countryside, and history all within easy reach, safe / laid back enviroment for their children and them, not getting caught up in keeping up with the Jones, great weather

Cathy
I've gotten used to the spiders now, it's not an issue for me anymore. But I was talking to another expat the other day and we were discussing how much we miss Marks and Sparks!! She said she was doing Xmas dinner this year and doesn't know how she's gonna cope without the pre prepared stuff that good ole Marks's does!! And I have to say I am struggling to find any decent knickers. They keep falling into holes and no funny jokes you lot! Other than what's been mentioned that is it for cons.

As for the pro's well I totally agree with the above, can't think of anything else to add to that.

The weather has been very sunny but really really windy! Today has been very warm again, but still really windy. Thursday they have forecasted 26c, so that will be nice.

Last edited by kezzabird; Nov 10th 2008 at 8:40 am. Reason: Forgot to mention the weather!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:12 pm
Old Member

Cathy
I read the article and coundn't agree more with the pro's and cons
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Cathy
$153,000 for an average house, think they have got their figures wrong there!!

I'd agree with the pros and cons although I'd add in the poor quality clothes shopping here, I'm not a mad shopper but I'd just love to pop up to Cribbs Causeway near Bristol and visit a nice big M & S

And for us, the money side is not so good as hubby is only earning half of his UK salary, and cost of living is about the same here.

But all the plus factors I'd agree with, especially the one about children, they play more here at school and there's a much better attitude from children at school (although that might just be the one they go to).

The weather has been lovely this week, Angus did the Big Ride at the weekend, a 105km bike ride around the Channel, it was beautiful day, we just supported from the car

Sam
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kezzabird
I've gotten used to the spiders now, it's not an issue for me anymore. But I was talking to another expat the other day and we were discussing how much we miss Marks and Sparks!! She said she was doing Xmas dinner this year and doesn't know how she's gonna cope without the pre prepared stuff that good ole Marks's does!! And I have to say I am struggling to find any decent knickers. They keep falling into holes and no funny jokes you lot! Other than what's been mentioned that is it for cons.

As for the pro's well I totally agree with the above, can't think of anything else to add to that.

The weather has been very sunny but really really windy! Today has been very warm again, but still really windy. Thursday they have forecasted 26c, so that will be nice.
Hi Kerry, glad you've gotten used to the spiders now! Do you see them very often though? I guess everyone must have their favourite shops that they miss. I've never bought any undies from M&S though - so hopefully i wont feel i'm missing out on anything when i have to buy some elsewhere!
I guess things like Christmas dinner etc, it's probably harder because we're used to having such a huge choice of things over here...
Weather sounds good - send a bit of sun & warmth over here!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TassieBear
I read the article and coundn't agree more with the pro's and cons
Not a lot to read in the December issue is there? I like reading those articles just to see how people have got on / what profession they are etc - but to be honest i dont think they really give you much information - well nothing we dont know already... Nice to quench the Oz thirst every now and then though with nice piccies in the magazine!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sammy T
$153,000 for an average house, think they have got their figures wrong there!!

I'd agree with the pros and cons although I'd add in the poor quality clothes shopping here, I'm not a mad shopper but I'd just love to pop up to Cribbs Causeway near Bristol and visit a nice big M & S

And for us, the money side is not so good as hubby is only earning half of his UK salary, and cost of living is about the same here.

But all the plus factors I'd agree with, especially the one about children, they play more here at school and there's a much better attitude from children at school (although that might just be the one they go to).

The weather has been lovely this week, Angus did the Big Ride at the weekend, a 105km bike ride around the Channel, it was beautiful day, we just supported from the car

Sam
Hi Sam I think they definitely got their figures wrong! I reckon it should have been $450,000 or thereabouts for the average Hobart house price. Especially near the CBD which is where the houses they showed alongside were based.
Glad people are agreeing with the pro's listed by that family though, and i guess the con's are things we are expecting already anyway (ie, shops / possible lower wages).
Andy received an Email this week from one of the companies he visited when we were over last year. We've kind of kept in touch with this guy and he was telling us that their company seems to be doing well still and have a couple of years work lined up - so no sign of recession hitting that particular business anyway....which is good news for Andy/us. He did say that Tasmania seems to be weathering the financial problems that some parts of the mainland & around the world are facing quite well..which is nice to know, although i know that's just his opinion on things...

Sounds like a long bike ride that Angus did , is he used to riding long distances like that? You guys sound like you're having lovely weather - i'm a bit jealous there....
I made a comment yesterday about being fed up with our miserable weather over here - and one friend (who is also waiting to emigrate - but to Perth) came back and said what makes it worse is knowing that summer weather is just a plane ride away!!!! How cruel is that
Anyway, seeing as i dont have any nice weather to cheer me up i'll have to make do with alcohol tonight - as i'm out this evening with about a dozen friends going to a "Luther Vandross" tribute night at a restaurant in a town called Billericay here in Essex, 3 course meal, singer, dancing etc - so should be fun i hope!
Hope you're feeling fighting fit with your keep fit regime!?

Cathy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.